ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my mk1 cup racer blog (updates page 29)

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
eye they are - but i need a set for storing a car on ;)

Seriously though - if they are going - send them my way x

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
Another purchase, some funky bbs esque Alfa wheels, but more importantly they are wrapped in s9b slicks

21bb2bf9.jpg

22b5a000.jpg

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Were the fek are you finding all these slicks from - especially S9B's

COME ON - SELL ME A SET OF 4!!!!

Were the fek are you finding all these slicks from - especially S9B's

COME ON - SELL ME A SET OF 4!!!!

lol you just need to know where to look and who to ask ;)

how much you wanting to pay? :eek:

had a call from Merlin motorsport yesterday, my Walbro pump has been returned to FSE for testing

they say the flow is low and the amps are high, but they want to open it up to check for contamination, so i gave them the go ahead to do so

can't be contamination as i used the filter bag they supply from day one, but from what they have found so far they suspect an electrical problem with the pump and so will sort me a replacement

car hasn't been touched since FCS, still sat dirty in the garage :D

williamsclio.co.uk/forum
Kiss my teeth! Come on tight arse - sell me a set.

Who u talkin too to find them ?

just spoken to Merlin motorsport, new fuel pump coming out to me next week :D

so hopefully that was the only cause of the power loss and will be fixed and ready for it's next outing

not really alot happening around here at the moment, have another airfield day in sept so just doing a few bits and bobs so it's ready
got the replacement fuel pump from Merlin, fitted it to the housing, but haven't put it in the tank yet as the back of the car is full of wheels and tyres that i can't be bothered to move :eek:

also bought a Pipercross ITB airbox just for the hell of it, the open filter does the job fine, but because the bonnet covers it, and it is close to the rad, i thought it might be taking in alot of warm air and the filter suffering from heat soak, so going to try this...

efe751ce.jpg

0e6defab.jpg

ea02d06f.jpg

c71780ff.jpg

3f9b086e.jpg

only problem is now the bonnet touches the airbox (before it wasn't much of a problem as the foam would just compress) but obviously even with the stiffer K-tec mounts the engine is going to rock backwards and forwards, and i'm worried it will either rub a hole in the airbox, or rub a hole in my bonnet :eek:

so i might try adjusting the dogbone, or raising the bonnet (which i really don't want to do as it sits quite high as it is)

next job is to get my other williams speedlines powdercoated and then swap some tyres round ready for the trackday

Right, back from another open pit day at elvington so thought i would do a little write up as i haven't been updating the thread lately

Set off for Elvington airfield at around 7:15am and arrived at 8:15 ish. All the way there it was raining, not a good start, especially as i was looking forward to utilising some slicks that i had been stockpiling :lol:

There were only a few other cars there before us, so we found a nice big open space and started unpacking the gazebo as the weather forecast was showers all day. We had a few funny looks as we set up the gazebo, obv it looked like we were a bit over prepared for a simple trackday, but all this would pay off later in the day 8)

So me and my brother attended the safety briefing and then headed back to the car ready for the 3 sighting laps. As seems to be the common occurance, the car likes to make things interesting on trackdays, almost as if we have to earn the right to drive it, it never just lets us get on! lol

As we left it idling to warm up an ominous green puddle began to appear under the car, sure enough it was leaking coolant, this time from the aftermarket emp gauge housing. While everyone else put their helmets on and set out on the sighting laps i frantically set about re-adjusting the jubilee on the hose to make it seal properly. With that done we went out on the sighting laps and then headed back in to check everything was ok, which thankfully it was. Also as i was waiting to go out on my sighting laps a flame red 172 went past and the driver gave me the thumbs up, turned out to be Ben_s off cliosport, always nice to see a fellow cs'er :)
I went out first, on the road tyres (wets), even though it had stopped raining and was dry in patches i thought it best to leave the wets on for the early sessions.

DSC_0231_exposure.jpg

DSC_0225_exposure.jpg

DSC_0224_exposure.jpg

DSC_0125_exposure.jpg

DSC_0124_exposure.jpg

DSC_0281_exposure.jpg

DSC_0269_exposure.jpg

DSC_0270_exposure.jpg

DSC_0233_exposure.jpg

then some of my bro driving
DSC_0413_exposure.jpg

DSC_0405_exposure.jpg

DSC_0394_exposure.jpg

as the track dried up more i decided to put the slicks on, and as i was about to go out Ben jumped in the car for a passnger ride

DSC_354_exposure.jpg

DSC_0349_exposure.jpg

DSC_343_exposure.jpg

Everything was going swimmingly until i noticed a distinct drop in power high up the revs, which soon turned into a car that was barely driveable, i limped it into the pit lane and slowly made my way back

A quick inspection showed that the alternator clamp bolt had come loose (despite being a nyloc) and had put all the strain on the M6 adjuster bolt, which of course snapped, leaving no tension on the aux belt, which led to a drop in battery voltage. Was lucky the aux belt didn't slip off and collect the cambelt! :shock:

Dinnertime was fast approaching so we had a good hour or so to try and fix it, trouble was we couldn't find a bolt long enough for the adjuster. A quick phone call to a mate and he was on his way to save the day (as he did last time when i lost the petrol cap :roll: ) with a piece of M6 threaded bar. Big thank you to Mark at Frenchsporttuning, without him we would have been going home early. Love you marky b lol

here is a pic of our revised alternator adjuster

928374da.jpg

f5679e5f.jpg

so with that fixed my brother got in the car and went out for a stint on the slicks, he was back in before too long complaining of loss of power through the left handers, i put it down to fuel surge and put some more fuel in. Off he went again, then came back in after another 3 to 4 laps, saying there was a 'tapping' from the offside front wheel/suspension

another quick inspection and all was clear lmfao!

0503eb9b.jpg

7350a2a0.jpg

6665b4a7.jpg

The tapping noise was the flap of rubber hitting the wheel arch lol

So with only an hour or so left off came the slicks and on went the cut slick khumo's

132e03c6.jpg

1bb28dc4.jpg

78760e65.jpg

2c612f5d.jpg

9f82284a.jpg

My last session was an eventful one, i too was having terrible fuel surge round the left handers, people must have thought i was nuts as when i came out of the left handers i would shake the car to move what little fuel was left around the tank

The problem soon became apparent round all corners and in hindsight i should have come in a lap earlier (please bear in mind our fuel gauge is on the blink) but you know how it is, i was having so much fun i tried to squeeze in one more lap.......it died 50 metres from the paddock while i was in the pit lane :roll:

thankfully as i had pulled off the circuit they didn't need to stop the session and i was towed back into the paddock.

Oh and the gearbox has developed a whine again :(

All in all a very enjoyable day, the car was even better than i remember and put alot of others to shame, i am uploading some vids so keep your eyes on the thread

oh and the reason we looked so smug with our gazeebo? well at dinnertime the heavens opened and it hammered it down, everyone dived for their cars and quickly put the covers and roof's back on, whereas i just pushed mine under the gazeebo 8)

Fair share of problems there! And yet managing to have a solution to overcome them all, good stuff.

I spy FST Mark in the shots changing the wheels too... lol.

Was good to meet you at Elvington mate! Top day out.

The gazebo was a top idea!

Yeh you too mate, always a good fun day there if the weather holds out

Fair share of problems there! And yet managing to have a solution to overcome them all, good stuff.

I spy FST Mark in the shots changing the wheels too... lol.

aye that's Mark doing his stuff, i think he secretly likes it when i ring to say i've broken something, 'cos then he gets to come and rescue us with that part we never seem to have lol

been a while since i have updated this, over winter the car has sat in the garage while i have been working on a few other things
had some good weather over the past few weekends so wheeled it out and tidied a few things up

first thing was to find out why the fuel gauge had stopped working, became pretty self explanatory when i removed it from the tank, it had fallen apart and the float had a damaged connector his from running up and down off centre

54775b91.jpg

cee50b99.jpg

one of these prongs had dislodged itself, put it back into place and bingo the gauge works again

fbd2e894.jpg

while i was doing that my brother attacked the car with the spray paint, touching up all the tatty areas of the engine bay and interior. time to spray that aweful looking gear lever surround

b9439fb5.jpg

1f31a541.jpg

80fbefb7.jpg

a trip to the local scrap yard turned up some laguna window winders as our current ones had a habit of coming off in your hand while winding, a quick trim of the carbon door cards ensured a good fit

b8a12276.jpg

b4dc145c.jpg

cleaned the pipercross filter, was full of all sorts of crap, along with a menacing looking stone that would have done some serious damage had the filter not been there!

f509015f.jpg

and final job for my brother was to paint the silver air intake on the headlight, went for a lumo yellow to match some of the stickers and give a good contrast against the black

primered

75855693.jpg

8f0f90f0.jpg

painted

7c6f0e1e.jpg

220a387a.jpg

43ee9831.jpg

04eadea2.jpg

next jobs are to try and adjust the driving position and steering wheel position, want to be sat lower in the car so need to drop the column some more

Clio 172 Phase 1
Looks great mate, shame about the few niggles you are having but i'm sure you will sort them ;)

Will keep my eye on this :)

TrackCar & F30 330d
Look great! I spaced my steering column down with simple long bolts, washers & nuts. Can you do that on the mk1 column.

Cheers for the comments :)

Chrispy - yes the column can be adjusted just like the mk2. At the moment I have a piece of 10mm aluminum acting as a spacer, but it's not quite enough, still feels like you are reaching up at the wheel. And I want the seat a touch lower so im going to need to space it out a bit further.

just thought i would put a little bit of an update on here, need to pay my subscription again so going to keep it short for now, will do a full update later

been to croft twice this year, once in april and again on bank holiday monday just gone. just wanted to share a few photo's from the day and will get some videos edited and uploaded later. went out in the morning on slicks which i knew were on their way out, basically this meant quite a bit of oversteer, was good fun. then later on changed to khumo semi slicks and was getting quicker and quicker as the day progressed. however this all came to a head when i had an off into the infield at high speed (i'm guessing around 100mph) going through barcroft :eek: got it on vid so will upload it later on.

1887662834_FB.jpg

17830796362_FB.jpg

17114757582_FB.jpg

1711475758_FB.jpg

1857212672_FB.jpg

1784058737_FB.jpg

1817700873_FB.jpg

1939461263_FB.jpg

1660866081_FB.jpg

clio mk1 RSI
of course you can.........when i have finished with it :D

obviously some money will need to change hands, but that's just a technicality

deal, I will hold you to that, I was gonna attempt this with the RSI but just didnt have the time

Flat through Barcroft I hope ;)

Well that was the plan, and that's when I spun it, I didn't get it straightened up before lifting off ready to brake for sunny in lol

I started the day lifting fully off for a split second before barcroft and then as I got more confident the lift off was less and less, until I tried it flat out and went grass cutting

I'm sure with a few more days there I will master it, only the second time I have driven the track

Looking good, proper little machine that!

Cheers bud, getting used to it more as each trackday goes by

maynard

ClioSport Club Member
  ph2 172 track car
Well that was the plan, and that's when I spun it, I didn't get it straightened up before lifting off ready to brake for sunny in lol

I started the day lifting fully off for a split second before barcroft and then as I got more confident the lift off was less and less, until I tried it flat out and went grass cutting

I'm sure with a few more days there I will master it, only the second time I have driven the track

Cheers bud, getting used to it more as each trackday goes by

Good good, you will do, I haven't done one yet this year...probably won't til the spring now :-(

Ayup mate! Indeed it has been a long time!

Think the last time I saw your pretty face was when you took my gearbox to agency for its rebuild