ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My new racecar project (Icemans old shell)

I've got some time this weekend Russ and i'm not too far away if you want a hand? Gearing sounds odd as you run the 60/13 FD same as me don't you? + the 33/37 5th should leave you well into the 130's aslong as you are doing 7800rpm ish. Your doing very well if you get over 120 round Oulton I certainly don't from memory. Setup's just one of those things unfortunately mate that doesn't swap from car to car so will just take time to build up, i've got spare springs etc so if you need anything at all you have my number. What rad do you run? I have a spare ally one if you need it? I had the same issues last year as long as it's not staying permanently above 105 mine didn't seem to care :) Is the coolant sensor scaled correctly? Don't give up for next weekend mate it'll all come good anything I can do to get you out with us next weekend just call me :)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks James appreciate that, I'm at oulton all day tomorrow pit'ing for a mate in tin tops so I'll take stock and see where I'm at. It just feels horrible to drive on turn in. I run the polo rad and its brand new, tbh it never went over 103 or so even when driving hard so I know what you mean + how do you scale the temp sensor without some kind or external measurement to check it.
Rudd

Thanks James appreciate that, I'm at oulton all day tomorrow pit'ing for a mate in tin tops so I'll take stock and see where I'm at. It just feels horrible to drive on turn in. I run the polo rad and its brand new, tbh it never went over 103 or so even when driving hard so I know what you mean + how do you scale the temp sensor without some kind or external measurement to check it.
Rudd
Okay well the offers there if you need it :) The polo rad is the problem even with the Golf one (much bigger) mine sits at 95 constantly. It'll just probably be ride height/rake and corner weights I imagine. Run a second sensor off the rad or just buy a decent coolant temp sensor with an accurate resistance graph (not saying you haven't got a decent sensor just covering the bases)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Shroud the rad as best as possible Russ to force feed it with air. Ask James about what he did to his. Also, possibly a long shot, but run some water wetter. It may help to drop the temps a few degrees.

Are you running spacers on the front? What's your current geo settings?

182cup & 172 racecar
You can't just give up like that ffs!

Removing the heater matrix is the main problem, not rad size, you are removing a massive heatsoak with this out.

As said move the ride heights about a little to balance the car more, just 2 turns on ours made the difference from not being able to do Craner Curves, to making it much more stable.

And no you won't get over 120 at oulton.

Have you drilled out the front panel ? 4 holes in mine makes 10deg difference.

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Thanks for the help guys especially James and Tony, really appreciate that, i was a bit p1ssed off on friday. Its more the fact i hate rushing and leaving stuff until the last minute and thats exactly whats happened through events beyond my control, it should have been sorted weeks ago and i could have tested and sorted my issues before getting anywhere near a race event. Anyway got on with sorting a few issues out today. Hopefully i'll be able to get the suspension done this week before oulton on friday/saturday.
Taking advice from various sources on the cooling issue ive moved my oil cooler from infront of the rad so it has maximum airflow to it, ive modified the original shrouding from the front bumper again to direct as much air through the rad as possible. Along the same lines i've raised the rear of the bonnet to allow the hot air to escape so all that has to help in my eyes. Took the thermostat out as well.
54401562954756-vi.jpg

10401562970329-vi.jpg

Looking for somewhere to mount my catch tank
57401562957327-vi.jpg

Got round to fitting a set of Chris' cup racer syle brake ducts too
50401562950565-vi.jpg

02401562962075-vi.jpg

15401562975005-vi.jpg

59401562959758-vi.jpg

A pic with names and numbers applied and some more stickers. Paul West from TDi north in warrington did the mapping and hes done a gret job, he wasnt happy with the part throttle stuff but it drives excellent and makes excellent torque across the range. I've know Paul a long time and i'd highly recommend him, they mostly do Hondas but do a lot of other stuff too
08401562968510-vi.jpg

16401562976982-vi.jpg

and some with the pure motosport system fitted.
04401562964243-vi.jpg

06401562966318-vi.jpg

See you at oulton guys :rasp:
Russ

182cup & 172 racecar
Well done Russ, no way should you give up over little things like that. Have you still got the bulk head rubber in, if so, remove it and you will find that there is quite a big gap for the hot air to escape without raising the bonnet.

A Polo rad isn't big enough to be half covered by an oil cooler! It's fine on it's own.

See you Friday. :)

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
Nice meeting you at oulton on sat mate car is epic.. Will definitely be attending this weekend hope all goes well.. Did you manage to sort anything with regards to blink.

Carry a thermostat in your tool box just incase you need to put it back in. I found without it in mine it was allowing the coolant to flow with no restriction around the system and wasn't staying in the rad long enough to cool it. I popped the thermostat back in and perfect once again. Just a heads up :)

Russ Rallye

ClioSport Club Member
Yeah its in my spares box just in case James. Has anyone done away with the hose that originally goes to the matrix and just blanked the outlet off on the stat housing and blanked the hose that comes off the T piece in the bottom hose instead of just putting a 180 degree hose on them to close the circuit, would simplify the circuit im my eyes and mean all the coolant would have to go through the radiator, there would be nowhere else to go. Pretty sure my cup racer was setup like that but cant remember and cant get access to any of my pics at the minute.
Russ

Ph1 daily & ph2 race
What size hole saw did you use for front panel and bumper. I need to do this i think, I've been worried about overheating before I've even been out. I've made up some shrouding either side, also thought about doing one underneath A little bit lower than splitter too

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
What size hole saw did you use for front panel and bumper. I need to do this i think, I've been worried about overheating before I've even been out. I've made up some shrouding either side, also thought about doing one underneath A little bit lower than splitter too

You need the radiator fully enclosed so the air has to go through it and not spill out around the edges mate.

Ph1 daily & ph2 race
Yeah I have. Maybe I didn't explain myself properly. Basically all air going in front of car goes towards rad

clio cup
Cant believe Ive missed this thread Russ,
Great Build mate.
I'm only jumping on the tail end of this so exuse the shortness of my post,

100 degrees isn't that hot for a modern engine Russ, but the removal of your thermostat is going to do more damage to the engine than 120 degrees,
As the water passes through the engine block a lot faster without a stat it doesn't take the heat with it, just leaves hot spots near the cylinders, boiling the surrounding water and causing air locks, even though your temp gauge is reading lets say 95 degrees,
Stick it back in mate, that isn't your problem, I'd say what you have done with the cross member will sort your heat issues.

I'm really fired up for this weekend but my aim is too finish the day in one piece, need those signitures on my licence!

See you on Friday mate,,
Dave

clio cup
Anyone use "water wetter"?

One of my old customers had a TVY Cerbera 500 and couldn't keep the thing cool, 2 pints of that stuff and it dropped the engine temp by 10 degrees, Apparently its has much better heat soak capabilities that water.

Your a naughty boy Tony, put it back in,

Jamie86

ClioSport Club Member
  RS175,595,205gti,172
I used it on an Uno turbo and it did drop the temp by a fair few degrees.

172 track car
Awesome thread!! Just read it from start to finish! Fair play to you sir! My jealousy is currently through the roof ;)

Saw you leaving Blink earlier, I was supposed to be in mid afternoon but I left it a bit later whilst they finished yours. Car looked very tidy!

Mazda mps
Fantastic looking car. I hope you don't mind but I have stolen a lot of your ideas to put into my rally car project.
Many thanks and good luck.
Neil

Cup In bits
I make that a 2nd and 3rd in class....well done.

Cracking results Russ for your first weekend or any weekend tbh, playing down the car all week lol.
That Saxo must have been a rocket ship.

Carbonraider

ClioSport Club Member
  Raider, 172, the van
I make that a 2nd and 3rd in class....well done.

Cracking results Russ for your first weekend or any weekend tbh, playing down the car all week lol.
That Saxo must have been a rocket ship.

He was excellent.. Really enjoyed watching russ today. I can assure you that saxo was chasing down the scooby like no tomorrow.. Although have sent ££££ on the engine to produce 220bhp and only weighing 700-800kg I'm not surprised..