ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

my optimax experience

thought i would see if i could spot the difference in my 182, did a week on normal ul followed by a week on optimax.

with opti found that tick over was flatter far less lumpy, engine seemed smoother and more responsive through the box. returned about 3 - 4 Mpg better.

havent a clue if performance improved, but the car in general was a little less rough.

does anyone know whether the 182 has a nock sensor?

I believe the 182 does have a "knock" sensor, although I am not to sure if the ECU programming is such as to take full advantage of optimax by advancing the ignition timing to the extent required.

It does amaze me however how many people are unwilling to spend the extra few pence to better take care of their care. Ok, with a 172 / 182 using higher octane petrol is not essential, but around where I live the vast majority of people with evos and stis dont realise that by putting standard supermarket petrol in they are not just reducing the power but also harming their engine.

the lower the fuel grade the more the ecu will r****d the ignition timing to avoid pre detonation (pinking) tats the role of the knock sensor

lets all laugh @ matlow cos he spelt it "nock" mumble grumble :p im sticking with opti from now on i think, even if it is just a placebo.

My nearest Shell were charging 86.9p for Optimax WELL before the fuel increase - bet its so close to 90p now.

The 182/172 need 98 Ron to operate accoring to the maps designed for max power.

The mapping was done on 98 fuel so using cheaper stuff emans the engine knocks and the ecu changes the timing loosing you power.

Quote: Originally posted by Jim172CUP on 26 May 2004

its all in ya head....
each to there own. In the 3 cars ive had it has made all of them run smoother and just feel more responsive (even if there is no performance gain).

The missus has a 1.1 metro and knows fck all about petrol. I told her to stick some optimax in and she even thinks it makes a difference without me saying it would.

Its worth it just for the cleaning additives if nothing else.