ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

'92 172, Lotus Elise
had a go at lining up all the pipe work today - doing it blind as i've never seen the completed item before :eek:

water pump:
DSCF1247.jpg

the 2 connect to the rad?
DSCF1248.jpg

DSCF1249.jpg

heater matrix...
DSCF1250.jpg

DSCF1251.jpg

DSCF1252.jpg

and the final bit of pipe (which I don't have) connects the upper connection on the header tank to the top connection on the head?

this about right? :eek:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
right, some real pics:

fly wheel! (forgot to take pics of the brand new clutch :()
DSCF1253.jpg

clio RSi aux drive belt! :D
DSCF1254.jpg

up
DSCF1255.jpg

over
DSCF1256.jpg

DSCF1257.jpg

in!

DSCF1258.jpg

all mounted up and ready to roll:
DSCF1259.jpg

dark :?
DSCF1260.jpg

basically the whole engine and gearbox etc are in and connected up!

all the remains to do now is connect the pipes to the rad and the heater matrix, tighten the manifold bolts and wire up!

still on target for this weekend to fire her up! :) - or atleast get her turning over! :)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
bought a loom - the guy at the breakers was convinced it didn't have the UCH - only one connector (white)

bought that on monday, would be nice to have it tomorrow - will spend a few hours hacking it up and hopefully getting the engine to turn over

I may have to bug you loads at that point :D

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Your more than welcome to bug me all you want, i'll be in the garden doing the last of the welding on the rollcage this weekend so if it'd be any use to you i'll Pm you my mobile number and since the engine is still in the car at the mo i'll be able to talk you through anything that stumps you.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
nice one beanie - i've got your number from when you txt'd me :)

no loom today :(

got some pics of the whole car for once though! (back to pic-whoring :D :D :D)

Looking almost respectable to the neighbours... notice how high the front is now! :shock:
DSCF1263.jpg

DSCF1265.jpg

bay pics - nothing is firmly bolted down at this stage, so its a bit wonky
DSCF1266.jpg

loadsa room! :D
DSCF1267.jpg

DSCF1268.jpg

DSCF1269.jpg

DSCF1270.jpg

DSCF1271.jpg

DSCF1272.jpg

DSCF1273.jpg

DSCF1274.jpg

DSCF1275.jpg

Winston style shot! :D
DSCF1276.jpg

DSCF1279.jpg

DSCF1280.jpg

DSCF1281.jpg

Looks odd without the exhaust:
DSCF1283.jpg

DSCF1284.jpg

DSCF1285.jpg

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
Looks good, does your bonnet shut with that in there? What it raelly needs though is a MASSIVE exhaust

'92 172, Lotus Elise
bonnet seems to shut :S

though dunno what it will be like with engine movement etc...

and no, im keeping my exhaust like it was before:

DSC_8270.jpg

half the size of yours ;)

BMW M135i
Whats the reasoning behind the diesel box? Obviously silly long ratios but it'll kill the accelleration?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
acceleration shouldnt be a problem with a 172 lump in a mk1 :D

gears 1-3 are good acceleration anyway (30 65 95 @ 7000rpm iirc?), only 4th and 5th are longer (140 and 170ish geared).

It's a personal preference really - I just get on better with these ratios :) - I find myself constantly between gears in town in a valver box, the diesel seemed to cope better?

Clio 16v, Polo SDi, M3
This may sound like a silly question (hopefully not) but did you use a MK1 or MK2 diesel box?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
DSCF1303.jpg

it arrived! :D

It has the UCH connector on it, but looking at it, it's only connected via some fused constant lives... so easy to remove!

also, the breakers sold me the loom £x, but in the reciept, they've billed me for £x+vat! - surely they should disclose this when telling the price??

BMW E46 330i Touring
AFAIK they don't have to give you a VAT inclusive price, but they need to state that the price is +VAT if not included... it's probably in the small print somewhere!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
It was all done over the phone, and he never said anything about vat being included or excluded :(

missed out my ICV too :(

see you have a golf now! enjoying the 'germaness'?

BMW E46 330i Touring
It was all done over the phone, and he never said anything about vat being included or excluded :(

missed out my ICV too :(

see you have a golf now! enjoying the 'germaness'?

Yeah I am so far mate, cheers. It's a lot more boaty than the Clio but I knew that anyway - so much comfier and generally a better car for what I need. I also think that with the remap it's had, straight-line speed isn't too shabby either, but I'll have to get to an airfield meet to test that out!

Might be worth giving them a call and at least making a point of suggesting they state that VAT is not included in future...

'92 172, Lotus Elise
she's alive!!! (sorta)

turning over now and all my interior electrics work (turns out I didnt connect the ignition barrel live :oops:

some token pics of scary wiring:

DSCF1311.jpg

(yes thats 449 electrical tape :D)

DSCF1312.jpg

DSCF1313.jpg

DSCF1314.jpg

VW Golf GT TDi 150ish
Looking good! Especially considering the 5 hour diversion the other day! Will have to sort out some beer tokens for the Germany fund for that! Have you managed to source the exhaust flange yet?!

The Golf is a decent car once the handling is sorted out! Come to the airfield meet and you can have a go in mine to see!

'92 172, Lotus Elise
:D

don't worry about it - just pick up my airbox at the airfield for me ;)

not found the exhaust flange yet! - just bumped my request in the wanted section

In the time its been sat, I've lost about 10L of petrol through evaporation!! :( :(

geesus was kind enough to show me the light (lol) and told me how to wire up my fuel pump - so the plan is that as soon as I can plug the injectors in, it should idle!!

VW Golf GT TDi 150ish
Do I have to do a James Bond styleeee theft from somebody or is there somebody there with one? I'm back just before Germany, as in the day before! It may need posting up to you to be quicker.....

172 Race Car
yep mines done, small problem with the clutch ratchet bu ti think thats sorted now (fingers crossed)

You still coming in the other car?

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
geesus was kind enough to show me the light (lol) and told me how to wire up my fuel pump - so the plan is that as soon as I can plug the injectors in, it should idle!!

lol you can think beaniemoo for that, he told me how to wire mine up, i was merely passing on information :approve:

'92 172, Lotus Elise
tried to get the fuel pump working tonight - think im missing a relay? or am I looking in the wrong place?

DSCF1315.jpg

DSCF1316.jpg

DSCF1317.jpg

Lionel Richie
you're missing 2 or 3 relays there

there should be another wee black one next to the one by your left index finger

a purple one goes to the left of the yellow and i think another wee black one goes to the top right

but i can't 100% remember! lol

'92 172, Lotus Elise
cheers fred - it does look that way - odd that some are missing

wonder how much renault would charge me for some :(

kevin.s, thanks :D