ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My valver/172 project

205 Gti
What starter are you using for the diesel box? I've just done the box on my 172 conv, put a 1.9D box on but the 16v starter wont engage it and the diesel one hits the manifold so cant get it on.....

Simon

P.s. some might recognise the car...

DSC00166.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
fiddled with the relay, it now clicks open, but im only getting about 10v through it... battery is still showing 12v, but is admittidly quite flat (wont turn the engine over many times)... anyway connecting this up to the fuel pump doesnt start the pump, so i need to do some more fault finding :?

also, trying to get my alternator light to come on on the dash.. if I ground the connector as beanie says the light comes on, but on the 172 alternator neither of the 2 pins on the connector go to ground :( - should I just use the 16v alternator?

nick205gti, love the car! :D looks just like mine except on ronals! :D

for a starter, you have to use whatever starter is matched to your flywheel (i.e the 172 starter) - the choice of gearbox should not matter at all, as the casings are all identical for the starters (im fairly sure)

So i'm using the 172 engine, 172 flywheel, 172 clutch, 172 starter and have just bolted a jc3 gearbox to it (from a 1.9D mk1 clio)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
heres a vid of it turning over (being jump'd by MKR)

I'm not liking the 'clicking noise'

th_DSCF1318.jpg

'92 172, Lotus Elise
starter is engaging properly, can see the engine turn over and the aux belt moving etc

there are no plugs in the engine, so it's turning over easily... im just concerned about that clicking/tapping noise

172 Race Car
Now you missed the deadline for the airfield, dont rush it. Take your time and get it right.

Done an amazing job so far

'92 172, Lotus Elise
I've got the nurburgring in a few weeks!!

it's almost there though :)

just fine tuning :)

205 Gti
tried a 172 starter to no avail 1.9 one dont fit so have to go scrap yard and find a valver 1 fingures crossed lads. ps mistake tried the 172 starter 1st

F4R'd ITB'd '92 cup racer
according to waynes original post about his car he was using 172 flywheel, so a 172 starter should work?

im using 172 starter on mine

205 Gti
ahhhh well no joy dropped the box this morning gutted !!! sorry matteh for polluting your thread with my problems the search is on for a box. :(

205 Gti
can you get bellhousing bolts in all the way round or does your housing come away from the block at some stage. (around the bottom) as some have angled bottoms. my 1.9 box is defo mk1 as i removed it with my own bleeding hands lol n

'92 172, Lotus Elise
stevo172-RWD, me?

nick, only the mk1 1.8 16v and 2.0 16v (williams) boxes had casings that connect along the bottom too...

I wouldn't worry about it... mines the same (and i've used several boxes like that now)

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
im still tryin to work it out the 1.9 d starter is a ten tooth gear and 172 starter is 9 tooth. pcd off the belllhousing looks the same but wouldnt engage so changed the tooth to a ten on a 172 starter and it made that exact noise good work though (has anyone else managed to get theres runnin on 172 managment yet ??

'92 172, Lotus Elise
my injectors arrived today, so hopefully tomorrow i can tell u if standard management works :D

'92 172, Lotus Elise
wayne, I hear you used the mk1 rad on your conversion?

how did u do the coolant pipes?

'92 172, Lotus Elise
he apparently used 16v lower hoses, but I can't see how they'd fit...

think Dan has gone to ground ;)

'92 172, Lotus Elise
Beanie was saying is fan runs constantly on the 172 rad... the 16v rad has a temp switch...

ive got a 182 rad sitting here, might just install it and see

clioproj/skylinegtst/merc
yeah it runs constant because off air con so just simply trace wirng back to relay there should be 2 live from memory and an earth just rewire it into fan switch and out to fan from relay ? i used a 16v rad and volvo bottom hose as it has no take off for the oil to water cooler and the steel pipe that runs around the block /172 top hose and header return the other two for the heater were just randoms that fitted nice

Some of a Clio 1.8 16v
yeah it runs constant because off air con so just simply trace wirng back to relay there should be 2 live from memory and an earth just rewire it into fan switch and out to fan from relay ? i used a 16v rad and volvo bottom hose as it has no take off for the oil to water cooler and the steel pipe that runs around the block /172 top hose and header return the other two for the heater were just randoms that fitted nice

Yeah this is the problem we've got so we've traced the wires back to the relay but since there's no fan switch on the 172 rad we're running an inline switch from Pacet i think it is. Good luck getting it running:)