ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

N/A or Turbo

Well im thinking about replacing the cup....problem is what do you replace it with?

Have just test drove a Evo V111 260 and i have to say it was rapid, grunt from lowdown, not much lag and a wicked top end. Reputedly these engines actually put about 280 hp as standard and it felt like it! Thing is i quite like N/A 16v engines so am quite keen to try something like a Honda S2000 anybody got any opinions?

I like the reviness of multi valve engines, but that little taste of forced induction has got me liking the easy performance....and not to mention sensational handling of the Evo. :confused:

my mates got an s2000, its great once in the vtec kicks in, but low down just like any noramal car.
to be honest you cant beat the kick of a turbo, so id say the evo.

Clio 200 Cup

Leon Cupra R with jabbasport remap IMO, grunt all over the rev range.

Oh, and you can still use your Gixxer for manic high rev acceleration!! What a combo that would be

The Cup is quite unique realy there not that much similar priced competition realy IMO. You have to go to an elise or S2000 etc and thats a big price increase.

Used to have an Evo 7 with about 330bhp, rapid yes but a bit to easy to drive fast and it made you drive like a tit all the while!!!!!

Having moved from a Fiat Coupe 20VTurbo then to Clio172 and then to my current car, Audi 1.8 Turbo Quattro, I much prefer normally aspirated. Power delivery is completely different, NA is instant, linear and more predictable, turbos more of a surge of power and are also more tunable by just upping the boost. But Id go for the s2000 for the engine and the noise!

s2000 are wicked sound great no end of revs and as people say there is a turbo conversion if you get bored!! i think you could have the best of both worlds there mate an im sure it handles very well too.............

still a jap car so very tunable

Quote: Originally posted by Spangles on 03 February 2005

Well im thinking about replacing the cup....problem is what do you replace it with?

Have just test drove a Evo V111 260 and i have to say it was rapid, grunt from lowdown, not much lag and a wicked top end. Reputedly these engines actually put about 280 hp as standard and it felt like it! Thing is i quite like N/A 16v engines so am quite keen to try something like a Honda S2000 anybody got any opinions?

I like the reviness of multi valve engines, but that little taste of forced induction has got me liking the easy performance....and not to mention sensational handling of the Evo. :confused:
Funny you say that because all the reviews ive read of the Evo260 is that is was crap.

Imprezza WRX 20k with 3 years free servicing is worth a gander if you can live with it. I tried an S2000, couldnt fit in it so I didnt even try to test drive it.

If you want a turbo I can recommend a citoren C5 2.2HDI;)

Quote: Originally posted by bill on 04 February 2005

hows about a supra-fast as fook!
I had a Twin Turbo Supra - and can confirm the above :devilish: Sold it for only £8k as well - plenty of smiles to the pound.

Took back a new WRX STi yesterday after a 2 day test drive.....awesome! I think someone has previously said an Evo makes you drive like a lunatic all the time - same with the Scooby - the kick is addictive..........having said that - get the Supra and you can enjoy 2 Turbo Kicks in quick succession

Clio 200 Cup packed

id buy an evo8 260 tomorrow, but i refuse to pay double what my insurance is now...

also servicing every 4500 miles could become a pain in the ass...

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 04 February 2005

id buy an evo8 260 tomorrow, but i refuse to pay double what my insurance is now...

Mitsubishi are doing a grand off and 3 years free servicing just now which matches the Subaru deal hence making the 4,500 mile services a bit more bearable.The only fly in the ointment is the imminent arrival of the Evo9......whats that gonna do for the evo8s residuals??

Quote: Originally posted by Spangles on 04 February 2005

Quote: Originally posted by homerjay on 04 February 2005

Mitsubishi are doing a grand off and 3 years free servicing just now which matches the Subaru deal hence making the 4,500 mile services a bit more bearable.The only fly in the ointment is the imminent arrival of the Evo9......whats that gonna do for the evo8s residuals??
The sevicing deal on 260s is not transferrable should you wish to sell the car, again this well affect residuals. I reckon theres going to be loads of these on the market in 3 years time going for a song.

Quote: Originally posted by JonC on 03 February 2005

Having moved from a Fiat Coupe 20VTurbo then to Clio172 and then to my current car, Audi 1.8 Turbo Quattro, I much prefer normally aspirated. Power delivery is completely different, NA is instant, linear and more predictable, turbos more of a surge of power and are also more tunable by just upping the boost. But Id go for the s2000 for the engine and the noise!
The negatives often cited about turbo power delivery can be largely eradicated by using compact turbo units and also a certain vane/impeller design (sorry, cant remember the techno jargon) so that the unit "spools up" very rapidly and nearer the bottom of the rev range. Custom mapping can also shift the power surge further up the rev range so that power is progressive and the upper part of the rev range more useable (as opposed to the surge taling off prematurely). Appropriate mods certainly worked on my Cupra anyway - made other "out-of-the-box" forced induction cars seem crude in terms of power delivery.

Would go for an Integra Type R over the S2000 - far more focused car, unless of course its the roadster thing your after.

VXT is quicker than an S2000 and cheaper to buy new. Vauxhall will sort you a 48hr test drive for £179. refunable if you buy one. List is £25k but reckon on £3k+ as a discount from new. AMD can chip it to 280bhp and its more of a drivers car than a chav looking Mitsubaru.

I dont have a VX (though Id buy one privately if the right car comes along) so Im not biased. Having tried the 48hr drive I was v.impressed. Pity it has that horrendous badge on it, but you have to see past that...