ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Naples MK1 Track car project

Mk1 F4R
Update on whats been going on over the last few days

When i was building the car with f4r engine in i thought id look for the engine in bits as i was going to rebuiltd it all, the only thing i was looking for to be alright was the bottom end, as you know the first 2 where not good and damaged, so the 3rd one was bought off someone on here (no names to be said, im sure some of you know who it is) but was sold as being sort of rebuilt and he seemed to be ok and i did a little asking round about the bottom end and was reassured it was fine. Well its not and smokes and is a pain in the arse and is down on power sigh... :dapprove:
So yet again something else for me to sort out, not to bothered as im learnig all the time when doing the project, head is still fine as it was rebuilt about 2k ago

After 6 months the car isnt looking so nice anymore little tatty here and there, my plan is to get the bottom end rebuilt, get the car running sweet and tart it up also cage in!

as you can see some of the new additions are already fitted, ill let the pics do the talking from now on of the engine removal

IMG_7687.jpg

IMG_7688.jpg

IMG_7693.jpg

IMG_7696.jpg

When removing the inlets the engine seems to have been breathing so heavy there is oil everywhere

IMG_7699.jpg

IMG_7700.jpg

hub nuts off and gear box oil drained

IMG_7701.jpg

mani bolts removed and other bolts removed dogbone etc

IMG_7704.jpg

as you can see it is possible to remove the starter motor from behind the manifold, just has to be in the right angle to squeeze out

IMG_7707.jpg

IMG_7708.jpg

IMG_7710.jpg

brakes off

IMG_7714.jpg

shocks unbolted

IMG_7720.jpg

driveshafts out

IMG_7713.jpg

engine hooked up and lifted out

IMG_7717.jpg

oil drained

IMG_7723.jpg

engine taken apart and it looks like fuel has been running a little rich and oily

IMG_7724.jpg

IMG_7725.jpg

bottom end ready to be taken to wilber motors in st helens

IMG_7727.jpg

a few bits taken from the car

IMG_7730.jpg

few new parts have been bought to rebuild when i get it back, few little things still need to be picked up
* oil
*Head gasket
*cambelt
* need to pick up a d/s gaiter on the gear box end weird shaped one
* lots of paint £35 worth of stuff
* NGK laser platinum spark plugs

IMG_7738.jpg

More later when the bottome end comes back

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
:D

you repainting the inlet? or leaving it it pikey?

Funny you should say that rob as thats what ive been doing tonight :D
Ive decided to cut the rear of the inlet off as ive mounteed the coil pack on the side of the block, also looks alot smarter without the rear there

Scraped most of the old paint off the inlet and gave it a light sand

IMG_7740.jpg

next i decided to cut the back of the inlet off

IMG_7752.jpg

IMG_7753.jpg

then gave it a good coating of etch primer

IMG_7756.jpg

IMG_7757.jpg

also im spraying a spare set of wing mirros anthracit

IMG_7758.jpg

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
I love this thread, since you started I've really want a Mk1 to play with (and a Jord to help).

Any reason you've got the BMC though mate? I found it to be shocking on mine.

wilky19

ClioSport Club Member
  Leon FR 184
Funny you should say that rob as thats what ive been doing tonight :D
Ive decided to cut the rear of the inlet off as ive mounteed the coil pack on the side of the block, also looks alot smarter without the rear there

Scraped most of the old paint off the inlet and gave it a light sand

looking good just starting to remove the old paint of mine ive chopped the bracket of this one aswell. it look miles better with the coil pack bracket removed.

you going naples again? or something wild?

Mk1 F4R
I love this thread, since you started I've really want a Mk1 to play with (and a Jord to help).
Any reason you've got the BMC though mate? I found it to be shocking on mine.

cheers, i got the bmc because i was after a phs 1 172 air box and the bmc came up so thought id give it a shot, ive already got a phs 1 172 air box but its got one massive hole in it makes a nice noise lol

and that jord guy hes ok lol

looking good just starting to remove the old paint of mine ive chopped the bracket of this one aswell. it look miles better with the coil pack bracket removed.
you going naples again? or something wild?

ye its going back naples red only doing it again because as you can see the paint has come off as i didnt use etch primer first time round, all the white bits are going anthracit

Hes doing it Naples yeah..
Ive just been and picked the bottom end up for him, looks tidy!

Cheers jord cant wait to see it

Mk1 F4R
Update time..

The inlet has been painted naples and the writing has been sanded down, then clear coat over the top. The wing mirrors have been painted anthracite (same colour as the wheels)

IMG_7789.jpg

All the engine covers have peen hammerited gray

IMG_7790.jpg

Whilst the engine is out i decited to get a bigger master sylinder (from a laguna 2.0 ltr) and servo (from 172)

IMG_7771.jpg

cut the pin down and drilled a new hole to fit the valver pedal and painted
172 servo vs valver servo

IMG_7779.jpg

All fitted to the car and all seemed to be fine till we pressed the pedal and it was making a farting noise, never the less i thought it would go away when the vacume pipe was on

IMG_7782.jpg

Few pics of the bottom end after picking it up

IMG_7761.jpg

IMG_7762.jpg

IMG_7765.jpg

Now the fun can begin..

Did a leak down test on the head to see if all was still ok... and it was :D

IMG_7791.jpg

Head back onto the bottom end

IMG_7792.jpg

Cams etc back in rocker cover back on

IMG_7794.jpg

New cambelt and all timed back up

IMG_7796.jpg

New clutch

IMG_7797.jpg

IMG_7800.jpg

Gear box back on after some struggling with getting the spline lined back up

IMG_7801.jpg

Then dropped back into the car, then plummed back up

IMG_7805.jpg

IMG_7808.jpg

This happend again :mad: the bloody dipstick was pussed up against the block so.. tried to pull it back and it snapped clean off like last time. Lukely i could get a flat head under what was left and it popped out, thank god i had another spare

IMG_7816.jpg

New wiring loom made up and wrappedm also put the ecu in the mk1 ecu box

IMG_7818.jpg

Everthing is now back on the car and is running sweet, i have since put a few hundered miles on it
The master servo that i fitted was no good so i had to buy an new one, came from a 172 cup (since been fitted and is great)

IMG_7820.jpg

IMG_7823.jpg

Ill be posting up tomorrow as ive sine started to put the cage in, just finnished it tonight :D

Mk1 F4R
Cheers guys, ill be getting some better pics of the car later

Nathan you poping down to mallory on the 4th june, be good to catch up and you can have a proper look round the car

Last edited:
  Mk1 F4R
yea no idea why i did that, was just seeing what it would look like. Prob wouldnt be very good and would get full of crap when it rains

Mk1 F4R
id love to get it back on the road but got to many other commitments atm, maybe next year then i can start doing more track days