ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Need GEARBOX info

Clio 182 FF
Okay so I’be been looking for a gearbox for a while now but I a bit confused as which will fit mine, I know it’s been discussed before but there is something I don’t understand and I can’t find any answers, so I have a 182 2004 so I need a JC5 130 although first question,
Could I fit in a jc5 089 ? Or JC5 129 ? I know they have a speed sensor on it that I don’t need but would it fit anyway ? Second question is that I‘be been seeing 2 kind of JC5 130 now, on has an opening at the top with a blue sensor on it, and one has not, they are both JC5 130s tho ??
No sensor, and closed at the top
75A40E14-DAC9-4797-8509-50DAC8C835DE.jpeg

With the blue sensor and opened at the top :
D7744010-3CC7-4020-A124-58222E0DD87E.jpeg

So ok do I need the one with the sensor on top or not ? Can I use either one of them ?
What even is this sensor ??
Thanks for your help

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Jc5 089, 129 or 130 will be fine. But the 089 has slightly taller gearing because the final drive is different.
Aim to get a 130 as it’ll have the bolt in diff plate where the passenger driveshaft goes in the gearbox.

Sensors you’re seeing are just different crank sensors. Original sensor is black - new style is blue.

Clio 182 FF
Jc5 089, 129 or 130 will be fine. But the 089 has slightly taller gearing because the final drive is different.
Aim to get a 130 as it’ll have the bolt in diff plate where the passenger driveshaft goes in the gearbox.

Sensors you’re seeing are just different crank sensors. Original sensor is black - new style is blue.
ohh I see, then is it normal for the top one not to have that sensor ? Could I still use it ? They both do say Jc5 130 on the casing but I worries me that it doesn’t have the sensor nor the space to put one it seems ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
ohh I see, then is it normal for the top one not to have that sensor ? Could I still use it ? They both do say Jc5 130 on the casing but I worries me that it doesn’t have the sensor nor the space to put one it seems ?
You can just use the sensor on your gearbox as it’s the crank sensor.
Well I would love that but I’m french so… delivery will be expensive… 😬
Well I can box one up if you want to get a quote? Or, I could meet you at Dover lol

Clio 182 FF
You can just use the sensor on your gearbox as it’s the crank sensor.

Well I can box one up if you want to get a quote? Or, I could meet you at Dover lol
Okay so it would still be possible to screw in my old crankshaft sensor on the gearbox in picture 1 then ? Even with the casing being « closed » at the top compared to the one in picture 2 ?

And I mean yeah if you have a jc5 130 that doesn’t crunch when driven hard in 3rd, or in any gear for that matter… Yeah a quote would be nice now I’m still on a bit of budget, those that I found are 350€.. But I’m not 100% they are in perfect condition it’s just me trusting the seller. But yeah give me an idea about the price for the gearbox + shipment to France but with taxes I think it’s going to be a bit silly, but dm me maybe you can hook me up.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Okay so it would still be possible to screw in my old crankshaft sensor on the gearbox in picture 1 then ? Even with the casing being « closed » at the top compared to the one in picture 2 ?

And I mean yeah if you have a jc5 130 that doesn’t crunch when driven hard in 3rd, or in any gear for that matter… Yeah a quote would be nice now I’m still on a bit of budget, those that I found are 350€.. But I’m not 100% they are in perfect condition it’s just me trusting the seller. But yeah give me an idea about the price for the gearbox + shipment to France but with taxes I think it’s going to be a bit silly, but dm me maybe you can hook me up.
The top one looks closed because there’s no sensor fitted mate, that’s all. You’d be fine to fit your sensor.

I can guarantee you it won’t crunch in any gears mate, but if your budget is €350, I won’t be anywhere near that unfortunately.

Clio 182 FF
The top one looks closed because there’s no sensor fitted mate, that’s all. You’d be fine to fit your sensor.

I can guarantee you it won’t crunch in any gears mate, but if your budget is €350, I won’t be anywhere near that unfortunately.
Ohhh I see then okay!!
my budget would be tops 700€ (It’s just that in France all I can find is either 3-400€ second hand or 1200€) for a brand new box no in between for the gearbox but it’s just that with shipping and all of that I’m gonna be spending at least 200€ worth of shipping and taxes it’s just not a good thing for me, I should live in England for this car really 😂

Also last question, are Jc5 130 15x61 or is it just the ph1 gearbox

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Ohhh I see then okay!!
my budget would be tops 700€ (It’s just that in France all I can find is either 3-400€ second hand or 1200€) for a brand new box no in between for the gearbox but it’s just that with shipping and all of that I’m gonna be spending at least 200€ worth of shipping and taxes it’s just not a good thing for me, I should live in England for this car really 😂

Also last question, are Jc5 130 15x61 or is it just the ph1 gearbox
Ph1 is 15/58 mate.

Clio 182 FF
Ph1 is 15/58 mate.
Hey mate might need your help on this one, pulled the trigger on the gearbox, I was trying to see if I find anything wrong with it, input shaft spins freely in neutral, and when I move the selector up and down ( or right and left?) but when I try the same thing when pushing the selector down in the gearbox, the input shaft doesn’t spin at all ?? Am I doing wrong ? Did I get scammed ? 😬 sorry i really am new to this

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hey mate might need your help on this one, pulled the trigger on the gearbox, I was trying to see if I find anything wrong with it, input shaft spins freely in neutral, and when I move the selector up and down ( or right and left?) but when I try the same thing when pushing the selector down in the gearbox, the input shaft doesn’t spin at all ?? Am I doing wrong ? Did I get scammed ? 😬 sorry i really am new to this
It sounds like you’re just selecting a gear to me then mate?

Clio 182 FF
It sounds like you’re just selecting a gear to me then mate?
so the input shaft shouldn’t be able to spin in gear ? Sorry I might be getting mixed up with my English

the problem is I don’t know what gear is which when selecting

as I said from neutral I turn the selector right to left and the input shaft can still spin no problem, but when I press down the selector into the gearbox, and put it to the left or right, the input shaft seems stuck and doesn’t spin ?
I probably look like a real idiot right now but I wanna make sure it’s at least selecting gears before putting it in the car

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I made this video if it helps you understand
Put some grips on the input shaft and see if you can spin the shaft then. It looks like you’re selecting reverse when you’re saying it won’t turn. With the grips on it should spin.

It does look to spin quite easily though in 4th gear, which is disconcerting.

When the Jc5 is shipped, sometimes they can select 1st or 3rd gear themselves if they get a good jolt - if this was the case, there is no way to get it out of those gears that I’m aware of.

Clio 182 FF
Put some grips on the input shaft and see if you can spin the shaft then. It looks like you’re selecting reverse when you’re saying it won’t turn. With the grips on it should spin.

When the Jc5 is shipped, sometimes they can select 1st or 3rd gear themselves if they get a good jolt - if this was the case, there is no way to get it out of those gears that I’m aware of.
I did do a 2h30 min drive on some bad section of road for a good while so maybe it got damaged ? It might look easy to spin but I feel quite a bit more resistance than when it’s in neutral
So possibly got stuck in 1st ? I think I’m gonna wait a while and book it for a refurb anyway…
Could it be that I got the gearbox seized by playing with it without oil in ?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I did do a 2h30 min drive on some bad section of road for a good while so maybe it got damaged ? It might look easy to spin but I feel quite a bit more resistance than when it’s in neutral
So possibly got stuck in 1st ? I think I’m gonna wait a while and book it for a refurb anyway…
Could it be that I got the gearbox seized by playing with it without oil in ?
Take the black end cover off with the gearbox in neutral and take pictures so I can see the selector forks. Upload them in here and I’ll be able to tell you if it’s selected a gear itself.

Clio 182 FF

When the Jc5 is shipped, sometimes they can select 1st or 3rd gear themselves if they get a good jolt - if this was the case, there is no way to get it out of those gears that I’m aware of
Take the black end cover off with the gearbox in neutral and take pictures so I can see the selector forks. Upload them in here and I’ll be able to tell you if it’s selected a gear itself.
No special tools needed ?

Clio 182 FF

Attachments

• 254C3CD9-4BA2-4693-872B-B5BA12E5AA9B.jpeg
    254C3CD9-4BA2-4693-872B-B5BA12E5AA9B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 66
  • 70C404D4-7C12-4039-82B0-AEA12EAB10A2.jpeg
    70C404D4-7C12-4039-82B0-AEA12EAB10A2.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 68
  • 83FA88DA-52A4-4549-9A62-92F7BCF2C561.jpeg
    83FA88DA-52A4-4549-9A62-92F7BCF2C561.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 69