ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nest

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Did you get anywhere with your quest?

I took the plunge and bought a Tado during Amazon Prime day(s) plus three radiator thermostats. My reasons for going Tado were...

- I wanted geofencing. I was finding that there were good chunks of time - with my old thermostat - where we’d be out but the heating was on. This was mainly at weekends but occasionally during the week as well. So the standard schedule programming wasn’t giving me enough flexibility.

- I was finding that upstairs was getting uncomfortably warm during the winter. This was purely down to the thermostat being downstairs so that where the demand for heat was coming from. This is where the radiator thermostats come in. The bedrooms. Are set to be at 18C and based on the graphs that are generated, the demand for heat has been near zero since I turned the system on a few weeks ago.

At the moment I have the house split into four zones. Master bedroom, bedroom2, bedroom 3 and ‘the rest of the house’ (everything else). My plan is to add three more radiator thermostats. One for the living room, one for the dining room and one for the kitchen. I’m holding off doing that at the moment though because the layout of the house will be changing soon. We’ll be adding a wall between the living room and dining room, then much later the wall between kitchen and diner will come down. So the way the house heats will change.

Flaws with the system? Umm. I wish it had a boost function. There has been one or two times I just wanted a blast of heat but you have to then manually takeover the system and then return it to automated after. I guess another ‘flaw’ is that if there is a demand for heat in a bedroom, the radiators in ‘the rest of the house’ also come on. That’s just down to the fact my radiators are all on the same ‘circuit’ with the heat being demanded locally. With that said, if it’s cold upstairs it’ll probably be cold downstairs, so having them on isn’t a problem to me.

The heating has only been turned back on in our house for the past two weeks however I have been impressed thus far. The real test will be at year end during winter but early indications are good. Using the history graphs you can already see the system is learning when to turn the heating off so it doesn't overshoot. The claim is that Tado will save you its purchase price within a year. Whether it’ll be that good I don’t know but based on the short slice of evidence thus far I’m confident it’ll make some savings.

I bought two Nests in the end, I’ve installed them, but because it’s the summer, I’ve not actually used them - just ramped them down to kick in at 12C (which obviously never happens) until I need to use them, then I’ll get them set up properly.

I never really looked into the Tado systems, just Nest & Hive. My parents have Hive and I know that they have a Boost function.

Bump...

Looking to get a Nest Thermostat for our new place.
My wife works from home a fair bit on random days, can we set two schedules, one for when someone is home and when one we are all out and it use our mobiles to decide if we are at home or not?

Sam

North East
ClioSport Area Rep
Bump...

My wife works from home a fair bit on random days, can we set two schedules, one for when someone is home and when one we are all out and it use our mobiles to decide if we are at home or not?
As far as I know you can only have one schedule.

Normally there is no schedule when your out as it’s off.

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
Bump...

Tado will do that. The issue with Tado now however, is all the features that made it stand out (geofencing etc) are now behind a monthly pay wall. Yeah it’s only a couple of quid but eh, sod that. If you can find an older V3 system you’ll get the features without having to pay additional monthly fees. V3+ has the fees.

That’s my understanding anyway. I have the V3 system to it doesn’t affect me.

Ol’ Tarby

ClioSport Moderator
  Clio 220 Trophy
Hive does geo location s**t, just have to have it set from your Mrs' phone probably
Screenshot_20190711_180243_uk.co.centrica.hive.jpg