ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

My 1.2 16v clio progress thread.

new to cliosport, got my first clio in january 2012 and i love her, she was as standard as standard can be, heres my progress thread to give you an idea of where im up to so far.

any adivce or tips on what to do next would be great!

note theres no engine mods (bar an induction kit and exhaust) as im getting a 172 in 2013. no point wasting money on a 1.2 engine eh!

So this is what she looked like when i first got her.

DB264EAB-4C17-41B5-B26B-F68F7C634367-1955-000000B52978B208.jpg

2FE3D5E9-0BE7-4762-898F-C45E80FF7C46-1955-000000B52C85F77D.jpg

1stcar.jpg

as you can see she really is basic, really happy with my purchase. a 52 plate 1.2L 16v, done 50k on the clock and picked her up for £1180 with new mot and tax for a year! bargain :)

my first mod. had to get rid of those horrible small steelies, sourced some 16" 172 alloys 2nd hand for £80 all with good tread left and michelin tyres all round :)

16s172alloys.jpg

then i got my sony headunit cd player for £120 out of halfrauds (dont regret paying the money as its perfect!) and sourced a 1000w fusion sub and 1000W fusion amp for £50. wired them all in myself with a bit of common. unfortunately no pics but you get the idea.

then had a problem, my steering wheel stalking buttons didnt work - so i had a fun time removing my dash and seeing what the wires i needed (stalk harness and sony patch lead set me back £17 - halfords wante ~£45!) and whilst i was in the nitty gritty, done a led conversion on my clock and changed the colour to blue :)

Stalkfitting.jpg

at this stage i didnt have much money to upgrade my headlights - but i couldnt stand that horrible yellowish hew from the standard bulbs, so invested £15 in some osram night breakers - which came with free xenon white t5w sidelight leds

OsramNightbreakers.jpg

just gave that nicer, cripser glow to them.

then it was time for my window tints, at this time i had also recently purchased a 172 spoiler for £20 and was waiting for it in the post.

got my window tints (back 3 windows) and a sun visor strip all for £80 by a fella i know local to me. done an absaloutely amazing job. no bubbles or cracks! unfortunately i dont have a pic of my sun visor strip but i can post one up if necessary

TintsampSpoiler.jpg

heres a picture of the rear window tints, spoiler and smoked black rear lights (bought a rattle can of the smoking stuff off ebay for ~£8 and sprayed myself - looks gorgeous)

SmokedRearLights.jpg

if my car was black i wouldve gone for darker tints and a darker smoke on my lights - basically stealth it. but on a silver car it just dont look right.

Finally got my money for angel eyes! £120 off ebay brand new from some store in essex. heres a picture of the fitting process and the finally fitted.

photo1.jpg

a right pain to get the bumper off, as you can imagine on an old car - all the heads of the bolts and torx were rusted! got her off
in about 20 minutes with some trustworthy gt85 and perseverance!

photo2.jpg

photo3.jpg

and now they are on!they look beautiful.. one of my favourite mods

photo4-1.jpg

and much to my surprise they arent white angel rings, they actually look like a baby blue colour (imagine 8k hids) so happy with them.

after that i wanted to do something to my renault diamonds - normally people get them painted but i took a different approach...

photo6.jpg

photo5.jpg

i love them - so unique, havent seen anyone in my area with anything like it! took alot of laquer to waterproof them though!

i have also stickerbombed my internal dash trims and centre console - will get some good pics up soon.

now it was finally time to get my alloys refurbed and coloured.

got them done for £200 and they are brand spanking new - was so happy and definally got my moneys worth - i got them coloured anthracite

photo7-1.jpg

was so excited about having them i forgot to put my centre cap diamonds back on before the picture!

my next mod was a K&N 57i induction kit (consists of the air filter and cold air feed hose). cost me £65 brand new and was exactly what i wanted.. very sucky in low rpms then once you hit about 2k rpm it roars, very throaty. will also get a pic up. took no more than 15 mins to fit.

finally, probably my most favourite mod is my exhaust. on my clio from the cat (mine is very very small!!) its a straight through pipe all the way to the backbox - no extra silencers etc. i bought a scorpion twin 3.5" backbox off ebay for £35 - when it arrived the chap sent the receipt through and it turns out he payed £269 for it last year - just another bargain to add to my collections.

anyone after alot of messing around, i took it to my trust worthy garage where he cut my old exhaust off and clamped on my new backbox (needed a reducer sleeve, £5 for a 51mm -> 41mm) and got me up and running in an hour all for £25. not bad.

0DA661AD-7221-463C-833C-CB0E3627D749-1955-000000B4805BF0AF.jpg

The exhaust is amazing - its low and throaty, my mates always recognise me when i pull up or hear me coming - was exactly what i wanted.

needless to say my car turns heads now alot more than she did when i first got her!

next on my mod list is lowering springs. i go to uni so i commute alot with loads of stuff in the car and always have my a few people in the car so im think only dropping 30mm maybe 40mm. should have her nice and tucked.

let me know what you guys think! any advice or tips would be appreciated.

cheers :)

Renault Clio MK4 RS
have to admit i really like what you have done with it! just what i want from my 1.2, ive got an exhaust done and they have to do a custom hanger for mine for some reason even though my exhaust was made for a clio 1.2? did they do that with yours? my exhaust does stick out a little bit for some reason but im sure thats down to the new hanger. Do love them alloys, they do suit the car well and think 172 alloys really do make a 1.2 clio better!

172 alloys really do finish off a non sport clio! my exhaust was also made custom for a clio for the guy i bought mine off of, but my hanger was fine and it went on easy, maybe your hanger is worn/damaged...dont quote me on that.

also i got your pm and have replied :) cheers for the feed back. just need to lower her now!

2003 1.2 billabong
looking nice, nit a great fan on tints but they dont look too bad tbf

suprised i havent seen you about i live in darford, how long you had the car ?

Yeah I wasn't too keen on getting tints done myself, but after a bit of research I found a light tint called "smoke" and I love it. Really glad I went for it in the end. Such a light and minimal darkness. It's perfect as it matches the tint of my rear smoked lights and tema heko wind deflectors.

Im always out and around crayford, pretty much every night ha! I can't say I've seen you either... Strange, thanks for the positive comments!

As promised pictures of my interior sticker bombing and induction kit.

Heres the centre console sticker bombed,

065B6589-01EA-425E-AC3D-A0C61A520001-1955-0000011AB6F9B103.jpg

heres the left hand trim

99695B22-5E56-4174-B6DB-04A691594CCB-1955-0000011ABB8D2AE1.jpg

the smaller right hand trim

5E586A5D-020F-4F8B-8789-7D2589067AC6-1955-0000011ABF08BE74.jpg

heres the induction kit,

B1A45E7B-ECC2-4374-8351-3C1A5B819804-1955-0000011AC2FA5B38.jpg

the cold air feed hose

DACFDA70-6174-463D-9A1C-0157A3272689-1955-0000011AC76C05F9.jpg

also here's a picture of my engine bay. Please can anyone give me tips on how to clean it as it is dirty as hell!

70B8294E-D300-4D3A-BECA-F8238C96AA2D-1955-0000011ACB973AF0.jpg

Sticker bombing is like marmite - you love it or hate it ha. It's different to everyone else who carbon wraps their interior! The scorpion exhaust is beautiful. Exactly as you described - put your foot down and it's a guttural roar, if your cruising normally, it's a subtle/quiet Hum :)

Arctic 182FF
Love the 172 alloys in anthracite, looking to get mine refurbed in that colour soon. Not a big fan of the stickerbombing but I think it could look good if you just had less of it (personal opinion only of course) also not a huge fan of those particular angel eyes, i do like angel eyes but the big orange circle for the indicator puts me off those. Definitely get the side strips colour coded, makes such a difference! I did mine myself but be warned, they're a huge pain in the a** to sand down to smooth. quite like the lightly tinted rear lights though, what did you use to get them like that? think that'd look smart on mine

Liquid Yellow 182
Love what you done to your car man. When you had reflector headlamps you bought osram bulbs, you aint got the website you bought from still have you pal?

Sticker bombing is okay in moderation, but it beats carbon wrapping like everyone else. Something different :) I know what you mean about the indicators - but most people are too distracted by my actual angel eyes to look at the indicators :) I'm gonna get a few quotes of some body shop guys before I consider doing it myself. I had to sand down my bits for sticker bombing and that was hard enough!
i bought the lens smoke spray of eBay - these a particular brand - ill find the name and pm you it. Basically do as many layers as you want and stop when your at the tint level you like. Can be as light or as dark as you wish :)

Love what you done to your car man. When you had reflector headlamps you bought osram bulbs, you aint got the website you bought from still have you pal?

Hello mate. I bought the osram night breakers off an eBay shop (ace parts I think they're called) just search H7 477 osram night breakers :) providing that's the bulb fitment type you have!

Love the 172 alloys in anthracite, looking to get mine refurbed in that colour soon. Not a big fan of the stickerbombing but I think it could look good if you just had less of it (personal opinion only of course) also not a huge fan of those particular angel eyes, i do like angel eyes but the big orange circle for the indicator puts me off those. Definitely get the side strips colour coded, makes such a difference! I did mine myself but be warned, they're a huge pain in the a** to sand down to smooth. quite like the lightly tinted rear lights though, what did you use to get them like that? think that'd look smart on mine

Heres the dark smoke light tint spray mate :

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.co.uk/viewitem?itemId=270764645835&index=18&nav=SEARCH&nid=53394975769

Liquid Yellow 182
Hello mate. I bought the osram night breakers off an eBay shop (ace parts I think they're called) just search H7 477 osram night breakers :) providing that's the bulb fitment type you have!

Ahh nice one mate, did you say they were more whiteish then yellow yea? Do they shine alot of light on road?

Thanks for that, do you know if it's possible to get rid of the tint if i put too much on for example? It says on the listing easy to apply and remove but i can't think how you'd remove a spray. Thanks

Youve got me stumped there! Erm best thing to try is google it! I'm guessing maybe a bit of white spirit and very fine wet and dry paper but you may end up damaging your lights that way! Just do a little at a time. If a few days later you wanna go darker then do a few more coats. Remember there's no hurry, rushed jobs always look crap.

Ahh nice one mate, did you say they were more whiteish then yellow yea? Do they shine alot of light on road?

They are more noticeably white than yellow yes, but compared to a pair of hid's they look poo haha! But the flood of light you get is good and good visibility. A lot better than the standard yellow.

If you want a nice clear white, I would get these lazer blue 150% ultra brilliance bulbs I'm using. I got the from halfrauds - don't even need a hid kit now - compared to my mates headlights you can not tell who has hid's and who hasnt! I would recommend them over osram anyway! Best £30 spent. Cheaper option is the osram a ofcourse :)

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
I liked this up until the tinted rear lights. From then on, nothing is to my taste (anthracite alloys excluded).

Yes. They are all the same fitment mate

Cheers mate - gonna grab myself some silver trims to replace sticker bombing. Sticker phase has worn off. Also sending my Renault diamonds off sometime this month to get the sprayed anthracite to match my alloys.

Then get my bumpers, side strips and bullets colour coded the following month :)

Renault Clio MK4 RS
Like everything you have done with the car, im a fan of stickerbombing and think you havent gone over the top at all. going over the top would be stickerbombing the whole car, even then it looks cool though! suppose its just not to everyones liking! but i think when people get older they lose interest in stickers and tints :p

BG 182
like what you have done with your car! I got a deal for you :p I have bog standard Renault diamonds, you interested in doing a swap, i can send mine straight to spray shack for you and when he gets them and can confirm they are in good shape you send your stickerbombed ones to me? I can send pics of mine to you if you want. cheers

Like everything you have done with the car, im a fan of stickerbombing and think you havent gone over the top at all. going over the top would be stickerbombing the whole car, even then it looks cool though! suppose its just not to everyones liking! but i think when people get older they lose interest in stickers and tints :p

The older you get the less you do aesthetic mods as the fun goes out of ya! If I had a 1*2 I'd only do performance mods - but at my age no way in getting insured with loadsa performance mods hence all the styling :)

like what you have done with your car! I got a deal for you :p I have bog standard Renault diamonds, you interested in doing a swap, i can send mine straight to spray shack for you and when he gets them and can confirm they are in good shape you send your stickerbombed ones to me? I can send pics of mine to you if you want. cheers

So your suggesting I send you my diamonds which are sticker bombed in exchange for you sending your diamonds to spray shack, you pay to get them sprayed anthracite and then sending them, sprayed, to me?

BG 182
nah not exactly. I was interested in a straight swap but just to save you a bit of time id send mine straight to spray shack rather than to you. Im not sure on it but id imagine mine would be easier to spray as they havent been sticker bombed and therefore might be a lil cheaper for you to get sprayed

Ah I see what you mean, to be honest the stickers are lacquered on and peel straight off so it's no hassle on my behalf.

Plus I put like 20 coats of laquer on these diamonds and the colour has still fades on them. Only looks good for a few weeks :/ so I wouldn't recommend doing it mate unless you don't mind re-doing it every few weeks :)

i'm guessing you will of used halfords lacquer out of a can? piss does a better job than halfords lacquer, you need some of this, only needs 3 coats http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Power-Can..._Body_Shop_Supplies_Paint&hash=item337c822cdd

Presumption wrong - I didn't use halfords laquer, I used the laquer I use at my bike shop we use for bike resprays, can't remember the brands of the top of my head... Bright green tin.

cheers for the helpful advise though - ill make sure I get that laquer next time