ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New 172 cup owner

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Just want to say hi :)

I'm a relatively new 172 Cup owner, come from a past world of scooby's and an evo IV.

Seems a friendly site (as long as you don't put neons and scarey lights on your car lol - said in jest before anybody flames me :) ).

Off to Bedford Autodrome tomorrow for the cars first real test, and after seeing the pace that clios were lapping last time I was at Bedford I think it's going to be a good day :D

A fair few high powered machinery going, will be interesting to see how the Cup fairs!

172cup/BMW 320 coupe
welcome to cliosport buddy!!
cups are great, hope u enjoy it! safe driving, they can be a b!tch in winter weather!!!

cock mobile.
Welcome, and good choice :D

Though surely it must feel a bit underpowered compared to some of your previous cars?

Lee

BMW M2C
Welcome to ClioSport.

We're getting a lot of ex Evo/Subaru owners on here lately. Seems like the Clio offering the grin factor and lower running costs, as well as being pretty handy on track is what does the trick.

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Well after a day at Bedford Autodrome I have to say I was very impressed. Wasn't sure if it would give me the thrills of the scoob or evo on track but it was great. Reminded me a lot of my old 205 track car in the way it handled, but with even more power. Kind of like a 205 on steroids!!

Cup suspension seemed well set up (wasn't sure whether it would be useless until coilovers or similar fitted), and the car felt very balanced with the usual Lift Off Oversteer allowing some fun with the rear end.

I wanted to do the first trackday with a totally standard Cup, and other than the standard pads being useless (changed/uprated half way through the day to Ferrodos after the original ones over heated and cracked!!) it felt like a pretty well set up car.

It may not have the power of the scoob/evo but it was very nimble and suprised a few higher powered machines :)

So all in all, I'm glad I made the shift :)

Lee

BMW M2C
Sounds like you've had a good day. :D

I'm looking at booking Donington next month, once the weather has improved. Then I'll do the Renault Sport track days, and possible a trip over to the ring again at some point.

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Lee said:
Sounds like you've had a good day. :D

I'm looking at booking Donington next month, once the weather has improved. Then I'll do the Renault Sport track days, and possible a trip over to the ring again at some point.

If you're interested I'm doing Donnington on the 18th march (think it's with bookatrack.co.uk), would be good to have another clio on track :)

How do you get into the Renaultsport trackdays?

Lee

BMW M2C
TVO said:
If you're interested I'm doing Donnington on the 18th march (think it's with bookatrack.co.uk), would be good to have another clio on track :)
That's the one. Should be a group of us if everyone can make it. It's a motoring holiday reunion track day. I've not booked yet though as we aren't sure everyone can make it.

If we do you'll not be able to miss us. 2 Trophys, at least one V6, a VX220, a 182, a 172 Cup, and probably y0z2a with his insane Cup unless he takes the Valver.

Sign up over on http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community/ the dates have been announced but you can't book yet. They run at all the MSV tracks. Excellent days, always very well run.

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Lee said:
That's the one. Should be a group of us if everyone can make it. It's a motoring holiday reunion track day. I've not booked yet though as we aren't sure everyone can make it.

If we do you'll not be able to miss us. 2 Trophys, at least one V6, a VX220, a 182, a 172 Cup, and probably y0z2a with his insane Cup unless he takes the Valver.

Sign up over on http://www.renaultsport.co.uk/community/ the dates have been announced but you can't book yet. They run at all the MSV tracks. Excellent days, always very well run.

Thanks for the link, will get myself signed up :)

Hope you do make Donni, sounds like quite a party going along!

One question, how much track abuse can 172's take? is there any weak points, likely problems, potential issues? I'm still learning my way around the car and being able to differentiate between a typical french rattle and a bent valve!

Lee

BMW M2C
I never tracked my 172, but I did the 182, plus a fair few trips to Santa Pod.

12 months old and 18500 miles when I traded it in, it was due it's second exhaust and one of the rear dampers had leaked dry. Other than the usual knocks and rattles there's nothing major that seems to go wrong on them. I did Silverstone, Spa, Nurburgring, and Brands twice in the 182.

172, Tiguan
Apart from the brakes which you've already discovered (!) and its love of chewing front tyres, if you keep it well maintained they are usually fine!

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Lee said:
I never tracked my 172, but I did the 182, plus a fair few trips to Santa Pod.

12 months old and 18500 miles when I traded it in, it was due it's second exhaust and one of the rear dampers had leaked dry. Other than the usual knocks and rattles there's nothing major that seems to go wrong on them. I did Silverstone, Spa, Nurburgring, and Brands twice in the 182.

Glad to hear that they're not like the chocolate subaru engines :)

(or maybe that was just my experience)

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
One thing that annoyed me was the fact there's no dipstick to measure the oil! (I like being able to see how much is in the engine). What's the best way of knowing you've got the level right on an oil change? Do you guys recommend using the oil renault supplies or do you use something different if tracking the car?

Lee

BMW M2C
There is a dipstick, it's right down the bottom at the very front of the engine. It's easier to get at in the Cup as there's no aircon pipes. Still not easy though.

I'm too lazy to use different oil, but I do get it changed every 6k at my local Renault Dealer.

TVO

S1 Elise (ex Cup owner)
Lee said:
There is a dipstick, it's right down the bottom at the very front of the engine. It's easier to get at in the Cup as there's no aircon pipes. Still not easy though.

I'm too lazy to use different oil, but I do get it changed every 6k at my local Renault Dealer.

When I bought the car the dealer (non-renault) told me the car didn't have a dipstick and that it was all electronic!! - glad to see he knew what he was selling!!! or maybe I'm the stupid one for believing him!!