ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Build - Thoughts

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I think it's a lot harder to make a red system look good.

HazChem02.jpg

8004d955856c4bc92405a2da3b232ff3e7864c477908696f8ce7344d5245c626.jpg

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I've ordered another Gentle Typhoon for the lower HDD bay and a Lamptron FC5 V2 fan controller.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
The above looks superb... a friend of mine went with matt black and yellowy gold 'trimmings' and pipework, etc. Looked mint but cost him a fortune. If I can find some photos I'll post them up (not spoken to him for aaaaages!)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
The results of my efforts over the last few days:

Fully Sleeved Front Panel Connectors (hours & hours of work!)

39.jpg

40.jpg

3 x Matt Black Painted Gentle Typhoons & XSPC 360 Radiator Fitted (all fans sleeved)

41.jpg

47.jpg

Lower HDD Bay Gentle Typhoon (again Matt Black Painted & Sleeved)

42.jpg

Shrink re-done on the pump so no wires are on show (the guy from America left the shrink short)

48.jpg

Lamptron FC5 V2 Fan Controller

45.jpg

Overall look

46.jpg

49.jpg

And in the meantime I've also today recieved a new 27" monitor :)

50.jpg

Tesla MP3 2021
Mate, great work and attention to detail :). The case looks really good and it will be immense when done.

P.s and dont take offence but have you checked you have got the air flow in the right direction on your fans, its an easy mistake to make :eek:

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Yes! Definitely the right way now ;)

I've just read that the 'enthusiast' versions of Sandy Bridge won't be available until Q3 next year. I'm not prepared to wait until then so it looks like I'll be going for the ASUS Rampage III & i7 950, I'm just waiting on the watercooled version of EVGA's 580 GTX to become available now, but effectively I can start doing the proper build next week.

Tesla MP3 2021
Ah well still will be an epic build :)

Can't wait to see it once you have got some components in there.

P.s. You don't need an additional back up or bigger HDD do you, I've posted a link in the tech section for a 1.5Tb WD caviar for under £50

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Just ordered everything, should be here tomorrow. Gone with Red.

Was very difficult to decide whether to go with the ASUS Rampage III or the EVGA Classified 3 but went for the ASUS in the end.

Evo 5 RS
what HDD have you gone with matey?

Just food for thought as I've recently acquired a pair of the new Vertex 2's for my boot drive

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Corsair Force 120GB for now.

My current system has 2 x 150GB 10,000rpm Raptors & 2 x 1TB 7200rpm which I'm not sure if I'm going to move any over or just buy all new.

I might go 1 x 120GB SSD for OS, 1 x 150GB 10,000rpm Raptor for Games, 1 x 1TB for everything else, or will either just buy new drives and mirror, depends where the funds are once everything settles, as I still need to buy the Watercooled 580 GTX.

Another mini-update for the time-being:

Radiator Rotated (again!, but hopefully for good this time) Blu-Ray drive sprayed matt black and more tubing done.

50.jpg

51.jpg

52.jpg

Last edited:
  Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
lol nice! How are you finding them?

My plan will be to put a second watercooled one in next year.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Reservoir > Pump > GPU > CPU > Radiator > Reservoir

Although initially it will be Reservoir > Pump > CPU > Radiator > Reservoir ( until I can get hold of the GPU ) which isn't likely to be until sometime in December.

Last edited:
  Tesla MP3 2021
Would it not be best to wait until you get hold of the GPU, would have thought filling it, testing it, then draining and starting all over again would be abit of a pain.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
I'll try and post the full spec up later, but the original budget has definitely been thrown out the window, couldn't help myself and opted for the 1200W Corsair PSU

Tesla MP3 2021
I'll try and post the full spec up later, but the original budget has definitely been thrown out the window, couldn't help myself and opted for the 1200W Corsair PSU

1200W wow, thought I went overkill with their 1000W lol

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Spec is as follows:

Case: Corsair 800D
Motherboard: Asus Rampage III
CPU: Intel i7 950
CPU Block: EK Supreme HF Nickel Plexi
Memory: Corsair 6GB 2000Mhz
HDD: Corsair Force 120GB SSD (more HDDs to be added)
Monitor: Viewsonic 27" Widescreen 1920x1080
Opitcal Drive: LG Blu-Ray (BDRW)
PSU: Corsair AX1200 (1200W)
Radiator: XSPC 360mm
Fans: 4 x Scythe Gentle Typhoons 1450rpm
Pump: Laing D5 with Bitspower Mod Top V2
Reservoir: iandh Stealth 225
Tubing: Tygon Clear R3603 1/2" ID 3/4" OD
Fluid: Feser One (Red)
Various Bitspower Fittings
Lamptron FC5 V2 Fan Controller
MDPC-X Sleeving, Screws, etc

GPU still to buy (Watercooled EVGA 580 GTX)

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
This is just the initial build though, things will continue to be added and for the difference in price I decided what the hell.

Monaro VXR
You know the HX1000 is rather under rated?

Its not actually 1000w. Actually two of the 620w Corsairs PSU's in a single case. If you look it up, they just rate it at 1000W as it boosts the efficiency ratings.