ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine (plus car build thread)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
thought i would do a propper thread, over the next couple weeks i will update this will new parts and pics as it slowly gets fitted and running :)

ok so new engine arrived today, its a fresh build new housings and rotors, new tips, seals, oil rings, apex seals... basically completely new, the engine is TINY! and i mean TINY lol! but its stupidly heavy! the plates on the ends and in the middle are solid iron the housings and rotors are pretty light in comparison but all together as a short block its stupidly heavy!

e6378e02.jpg

a regular can of wd40 next to it for size comparison

56cd11c2.jpg

will go take some more pics of interesting parts for people :)

Cupra
That WD40 really puts it in perspective! Crazy that something so small can kick out so much power!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
P1000275.jpg

right, there it is with the mani placed on it...

one of the big slagging off points people use against the rotary is "it burns oil" well yes it does its designed to, it has a pump called the Oil metering pump, that sucks oil out the sump, and injects it in to the engine, this is done to lubricate the rotors in the housings, this needs to be done as it wont spin otherwise, to give you a rough idea how much it uses, i do an oil change every 3k roughly, i use mineral oil (cheap 12 quid for 5l) as that is what mazda reccomend and even the high power (700 bhp plus) use the same oil because it burns better, now when you drop the sump it takes just about 3.5l to fill it up to somewhere between midway and full on the dipstick leaving you 1.5l in a oil can.

now over these 3000 miles i use roughly about 1l of oil if not slightly less keeping it topped up to the full mark, MOST cars will use that between oil changes anyway not just rotaries lol...

however with this engine the Oil metering pump is being removed and blocked up, the 2 oil injectors are also removed and being plugged simply because the OMP isnt the most reliable unit and the lines tend to fail pretty easy spraying oil all over the bay lol, so by blocking all that up, all i do then is run 2 stroke motorbike oil in the petrol tank, before i fill it up with fuel i stick some 2 stroke in and then put the petrol in on top, that way its mixed and sucked in through the fuel injectors.

gets rid of all the worry over the omp and makes the car smell like a 2 stroke bike :D oh and im gonna be running strawberry scented 2 stroke oil lol! (no its not a joke)

anyway here are some pics of where the omp was...
omp.jpg

just to the left of the wd can there is a space where there looks like a big flat head screw that is the drive for the omp, this will be blocked up with a machined plate

P1000266.jpg

this is a top view of the engine the 2 silver parts are the housings which the rotors sit inside, in the middle of the housings are 2 small holes with what look like flat head screws in them with a hole in the centre, thats the oil injector holes that will be blocked :) in the centre plate (black bit between the 2 housings) there are 2 holes that is for the primary injectors, these run all the time i will be putting 850cc injectors in there the secondary injectors that only run on boost mount in to the lower inlet manifold and i will be running 1680cc injectors in there :)

_Tom

ClioSport Club Member
WTF..2 stroke! Thats a bit mad! I do love the smell of a good 125cc haha! What sort of ratio will you have to mix?

Qashcow
but having a 450bhp rx7 is not a faf, so i, as malice, could live with it lol

looking good mate, not got long to get it running again!!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
soon as i have my turbo it will be running within a day or 2 lol! its just waiting for the slow ass americans to sort me out!

182 Cup/Mk5 Gti
very nice. a lad up the road has a white rx7. dont know the spec he is running thou. Very nice cars and nice little mod with the 2 stroke oil.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
yup twin rotors :) did consider tripple rotor but was too much money and hassle...

As in the same. Are both rotors the same part?

Looks good mate, will be a beast when it's goin! Can't believe how small they are, those crazy Japs do intruige me.

Awesome idea with the 2 stroke oil! :D And will be dead easy as said. Everyone at the pumps will be like wtf is he doing lol!

I used to run Ipone strawberry oil in my quad. :cool: Doesn't really smell of strawberrys tbh but does smell awesome and bizarre! Everyone was like wtf is that?! Will be mint to have that smell comin out a car!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
no each housing (silver parts) has 1 rotor in, there is a e shaft (similar to a crank shaft) running through the rear plate, rear housing with rotor, middle plate, front housing and rotor then finally front plate... oil pump etc is ran off the eshaft too... to get it all seperated you need to take the fly off, to get that off there is a 54mm nut that is torqued up to massive amounts, people use 10 foot long breaker bars to get them off and chain the engine to the floor lol.

Jason_E

ClioSport Club Member
  Elise, 530d
LOL i scrolled to quick and thought that was a gearbox for a second. Awww diddy engine. Cool build will be subscribing :D

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
they didnt need to make a 2 stroke piston engine lol... motorbikes had that covered lol!

the rotary was enough for them, joke is rotarys are used heavily in aviation these days so cant be too rubbish otherwise planes would fall out the sky lol!

looks like i just ordered my turbo too! coming from america :D

Iain C

ClioSport Club Member
Fair play for sticking with it. Mine is still running well. Id had enough of it tho.
Cars shouldnt be that much grief to own! Im sick of doing my own oil changes. I guess thats what getting older does to you.
You going single turbo? The twins are a joke!

Clio 197
Very cool thread!

Does the brand of two stroke you use make a difference by any chance?

PS Any pics of the car it's going in to?

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
P1000258.jpg

P1000257.jpg

thats the car its going in :)

some other toys arrived :)

water injection
5ba0f4cd.jpg

and tank for water injection
4c923650.jpg

turbo has been ordered i went with a MasterPower turbo, basically a massive huge re engineered truck turbo, made in america and shipped to me direct from the factory should easily give me 500bhp at the fly. it has an anti surge housing too so its extra noisy on spool will give a massive turbo whistle :) t4 divided rear housing, with a 1.00 AR so its a big beast :)

all coming together now, just need ignition amp to turn up, order a intercooler core to make a vmount with and a suitable air filter... problem is finding a filter that will allow enough air to flow is easier said than done...

the car will be mapped without the water injection turned on, then the water injection will be ran as a safeguard, to help prevent det etc, im also being kinda contraversial in the uk and running the water injection before the turbo, will be injected so it goes through the inlet on the turbo will be mixed with the air go through the compressor then through the intercooler before going in to the engine :)

most people in the uk inject the water after the intercooler near the throttle body, this does a good job still but all the big power cars in america, japan and oz run it pre turbo.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
[youtube]JBOe0qM2LW0[/youtube]

turbo with an anti surge housing, very similar to the size im going to be running and its on a rx7 also.

306 GTI-6
Liking your ideas very much on this. Hope yours sounds as good as that one above! Sounds mint. What sort of timescale are we looking at before the engne will all be plumbed in?

Rob

ClioSport Moderator
One request, when you put this engine in, please, please, PLEASE put some tyre shine on and clean the wheels THOROUGHLY, I love your car to bits, but the wheels always let it down in pics for me :(

I think its just because the car is black, and very shiney, makes the wheels look worse.

Love where you're going with this though, awesome :cool:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
robbos, after those pics were taken i actually cleaned the wheels propperly they look 100% better but not 100% if you get me lol... they need to be refurbed and i also did black the rubber :)

time scale... im looking at getting the turbo in the next 5-10 days i guess... soon as that is here it should be on the road within the week.... then i have 1500 miles run in, then mapping before i can give it beans :)

Qashcow
Then popping to quedgeley.... ;)

looks good mate, that turbo should sound mint. No reason to follow the sheep with the water injection, nz etc all do it this way don't they

Mustang, S13, AX GT
robbos, after those pics were taken i actually cleaned the wheels propperly they look 100% better but not 100% if you get me lol... they need to be refurbed and i also did black the rubber :)

time scale... im looking at getting the turbo in the next 5-10 days i guess... soon as that is here it should be on the road within the week.... then i have 1500 miles run in, then mapping before i can give it beans :)
Thats gonna be the longest 1500 miles of your life haha

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Then popping to quedgeley.... ;)

looks good mate, that turbo should sound mint. No reason to follow the sheep with the water injection, nz etc all do it this way don't they

Yes mate people in the uk frown on it cos they assume that their intercoolers will pool with water lol you would need to piss it in to get it to pool!! Way I see it the intercooler will cool the charge more and better with the atomized water going through... Soon as it's ran in we will have to sort something mate :)

Qashcow
good man, mine will be up and finished soon, however not with 500-odd bhp lol. keep us updated with the rest of it though