ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

new engine (plus car build thread)

Charged Superleggera
Very impresive malice. Finished product should be a work of art. Are you doing the build yourself or is someone else doing it for you? also will you be upgrading anything in your box or are you happy with the standard gearing?

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Very impresive malice. Finished product should be a work of art. Are you doing the build yourself or is someone else doing it for you? also will you be upgrading anything in your box or are you happy with the standard gearing?

basically the whole build im pretty much doing on my own... a mate of mine owns a garage http://www.5twenty4.co.uk/ basically he prepares and builds road/track/drift/drag cars.

he has donated me a corner of his garage which is where the car is, im paying him a small amount for space rental and he is letting me use all his tools and equipment, if at any point i get stuck or need a hand he jumps in and helps, during this i have been on hand to help him with other jobs he is doing, so he helps me i help him etc, also using a few of his products like the fuelling stuff he is providing for me :)

box is staying stock, people have ran 600bhp on stock boxes for drifting (they dont last long with hard launches at that power lol) my box is good atm so no need to swap it... there is the option to go rx8 gearbox which is supposedly stronger plus gives you the option to run 6 speed! fits straight on only issue is it moves the stick about 1" fowards... which is a bit of a pain and no one seems to bother working out how to fix that issue though i have a couple of ideas... plus rx8 6 speed boxes are CHEAP!

its running an uprated clutch atm, which should take high end of 500 ftlb torque... however we shall see lol.

im trying to as much as i can myself, i have done loads of work on r5gtt's etc and 200sx's its all pretty straightforward... and luckily the rotary scene has an overly helpful uk scene, to the point people have offered to come free of charge and help me do the work on it! and people offering parts for free, plus the tuners even though they charge massive prices, i have had issues before and called them and they will happily give out free info over the phone, at the end of the day the rotary tuners are enthusiasts that have made a business out of it... so they help all they can :)

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
It isn't a 2stroke lol! The oil is there to lube the faces that's all whe the engine is runnig it will be pumping oil simple as that lol

Charged Superleggera
basically the whole build im pretty much doing on my own... a mate of mine owns a garage http://www.5twenty4.co.uk/ basically he prepares and builds road/track/drift/drag cars.

he has donated me a corner of his garage which is where the car is, im paying him a small amount for space rental and he is letting me use all his tools and equipment, if at any point i get stuck or need a hand he jumps in and helps, during this i have been on hand to help him with other jobs he is doing, so he helps me i help him etc, also using a few of his products like the fuelling stuff he is providing for me :)

box is staying stock, people have ran 600bhp on stock boxes for drifting (they dont last long with hard launches at that power lol) my box is good atm so no need to swap it... there is the option to go rx8 gearbox which is supposedly stronger plus gives you the option to run 6 speed! fits straight on only issue is it moves the stick about 1" fowards... which is a bit of a pain and no one seems to bother working out how to fix that issue though i have a couple of ideas... plus rx8 6 speed boxes are CHEAP!

its running an uprated clutch atm, which should take high end of 500 ftlb torque... however we shall see lol.

im trying to as much as i can myself, i have done loads of work on r5gtt's etc and 200sx's its all pretty straightforward... and luckily the rotary scene has an overly helpful uk scene, to the point people have offered to come free of charge and help me do the work on it! and people offering parts for free, plus the tuners even though they charge massive prices, i have had issues before and called them and they will happily give out free info over the phone, at the end of the day the rotary tuners are enthusiasts that have made a business out of it... so they help all they can :)

Sounds like your all sorted then lol. doing the work yourself will save you an absolute fortune aswell. I shall defo keep an eye on this thread mate so keep us updated:)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Are you going to be using Ethanol on the water injection mix?
Is it a mappable system?
How heavy is that water tank? I used a plastic go kart fuel tank!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Are you going to be using Ethanol on the water injection mix?
Is it a mappable system?
How heavy is that water tank? I used a plastic go kart fuel tank!

not sure on methanol yet lol, ethanol is slightly more explosive isnt it lol??

its not a mappable system, it just runs off a boost sensor that turns it on, will have it set to come on at 3psi, tank weighs nothing its alloy and the heaviest part is the cap lol!

exhaust wrap arrived today, gonna go wrap mani in a min, but also the downpipe, decat and all the way up to the backbox is gonna be wrapped, will help with spool and flames lol! however... might not be such a good idea when you see what draggon did to their drift practice car...

ross from draggon remapped it to flame more lol

DSCF2241.jpg

also doing most of it myself was the idea to save some ££ however i did it in my mates garage so he can watch over me incase i break it lol! plus it meant more money to spend on toys lol!

turbo has been sent... however if the airports are still closed i dont see how im gonna get it :(

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
ok guys mini update...

went to the garage today and pretty much the engine is free of the car now... its still in the bay as i broke the crane but that will be out monday lol!

anyway some little parts turned up today (pretty small parts but some might find interesting)

had a kit sent for removing the OMP (pictured on page 1)

b4a810ee.jpg

lazer cut plate

daa23619.jpg

hand machined caps to go in where the old oil injectors were.

7ffa2fe1.jpg

rear oil drain block off plate

as its twin turbo stock the rear turbo drains its oil in where the plate is now... so this plate blocks that and solves that issue :)

billet fuel rails have been made and will prob see them next week so will snap them then, turbo should be shipped tomorrow, my turbo guy in miami sent me a mail saying he had been to the depot twice a day for the past week to try and get it sent as he knows i need it quick but usps have been grounded :( however usps have upgraded me to express air shipping so it hopefully should be here early next week :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
5d92cbb0.jpg

engine is out :D

got pretty much everything (except turbo the volcano has fucked up that getting here) so just gotta clean parts and paint some stuff, i will post up pics tomorrow of the other parts going on :)

Qashcow
come out surprisingly easy dont they? well, easier than i thourght they would of done. lets hope the tubb gets here pronto. still hoping to be ready within 2 weeks?

where you from ?? upper rissington , i swear i seen this car .. i delivered a box the other day to a lady and it had came from a fabrication companie , she said her son had blown his engine up in his car and can remember seeing a black rx7 on the drive

Last edited:

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
where you from ?? upper rissington , i swear i seen this car ..

yeh upper rissington... ha nick that was prob my mum! thanks :D

once you find all the hidden hoses and stupid clips to disconnect, undo the bell housing, undo the 2 nuts that are on the engine mounts it swang out in 10 mins lol! rest of the day was spent stripping the old engine to take parts home to clean, garage is full of parts, inlet mani was all dirty... found some oven cleaning stuff, said use gloves, i though naaa im manly, i touched the gel and it stripped my skin!

its cleaned up parts soooo well! better than acid dips!

got a few bits to clean and paint then assemble the engine again ready for the turbo to be stuck on and dropped in!

will have more pics tomorrow :)

were you going the clean the suspension with the tein springs on , or was that old suspension of the car , yeah was your mum i spoke to

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
the tein springs are the old settup i was using i now have ohlins coilovers now, the tein springs are going to a mates rx7 as the shocks are shagged and he wants to lower his car... but he is being long coming to collect them lol!

if your ever in the area again give me a knock and if im in you can come have a gander or if the car is on the drive have a ride :)

sounds good , i always have bits and bobs for ya so ill see if ur there next time i come , sounds like you have some nice bits on the rx7 , ohlins has to be one of the best suspension about , used to have loads of ohlins bits on a old r1 bike i used to have

big boost cup
i want one of these so much the wankel sounds mental when going for it. dont suppose it was you in southampton the other week

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
nick, i love the ohlins, they feel like stock shocks but slightly firmer and the ride the give is amazing, 2 way fully adjustables they just work so well!

tom, no mate, havent been those ways in a while... and the car been off the road for 4 or 5 weeks now.

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
UPDATE!!!!

engine is looking a bit bigger now! been painting up the waterpump housing and lower inlet mani etc!

P1000331.jpg

all the mani etc is only loosely bolted on, just seeing what it looks like, need to get the gaskets etc for the water pump before i can bolt it up, also gonna replace all the nuts and bolts with shiney new ones if i have time :)

couple more pics...

P1000332.jpg

P1000333.jpg

P1000336.jpg

P1000337.jpg

on the water pump housing there was a bracket that isnt needed was for the air pump, as i dont run one and never really have i chopped it off and filed it down just to make it a bit smoother :)

also polished and painted (couldnt get in the grooves with my mop) the alt housing...
P1000334.jpg

also if anyone can guess what these are, and what they are for you get a goldfish lol!
P1000335.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
wozza got it, its hockey pucks.

its an american thing, i was gonna run solid engine mounts (ali ones) however they make a s**t load of noise and shake the car like mad, rotarys have alot of spinning mass... so you take 2 hockey pucks (4 all together, 2 either side) drill a hole through the middle, put a big washer on the side that touches the mount, bolt through the mount, through the subframe and stick a nut on the end :) almost solid engine mounts with vibration dampening!

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
some new parts arrived, billet pulleys etc... polished up the upper inlet manifold, and also the power steering belt tensioner, gonna polish up the oil cap and ps fluid cap... also got a brake fluid cap to polish too!

STILL waiting on the turbo! which i will polish the compressor housing on its supposedly being shipped to the suppliers on tuesday then sent to me after that...

P1000348.jpg

P1000349.jpg

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Yes gaz there is sandwich plate on top of that too but even with a filter on it's easy to get to... The upper manifold isn't bolted on so it's sagging ATM when fitted propperly there is a 2" gap between top of filter and anything else... It's offset anyway :)

mas

MK7 GTD & Mini GP
Cool!

Its good that you are doing the work yourself.... that way, when it goes pop again, you will save money on the rebuild costs :)

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
Ah cool, thought that's a poor design if not. Coming along nicely fella, when's the estimated date it'll be up and running?

just waiting for the turbo... soon as thats here it will only take a day or 2 to get it running... they have taken the piss tbh, but they have upgraded me to a bigger turbo free :D i was going for a t64 and now im going t70! with a larger billet wheel! bit more lag but at higher boost if i enlarged the ports at some point, it will run 600bhp at the wheels... but 400 at the wheels will do me for now :)

if its not here by thursday ish next week i will take the engine to the garage and stick the engine in as the rest i can do with it in the car, gotta strip the loom out of the bay and chop all the twinturbo stuff out and then re wrap the loom, put the battery in the boot with the tank for the water/meth install the water injection, make the downpipe, fab up the vmount intercooler... LOL! fair amount to do tbh. I want it done by mid june... which realistically it should be.