ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New HD TV quandry

182FF with cup packs
I have recently come into a bit of cash, and have decided that it's time to upgrade my TV.

Until yesterday I was pretty much decided on a Samsung UE40B8000 or UE46B8000 (so either 40 or 46" 200Hz LED).

That was until yesterday when I went for a bit of a nose around Currys just to check out the screens. While the picture on the 8000 series Samsungs is stunning, they had a UE40B7000 next to a UE40B8000 and I couldn't seem to tell the difference.

The difference between a 50Hz LCD and a 100Hz LED is very noticeable (or at least it was to me when they were playing Wall-E side by side), but i was staring at the 100Hz/200Hz for about 15 minutes and couldn't tell any difference.

Is it really worth the extra £2-300 for the 8000 series?

Saying that, is it worth the extra £500 over a Plasma?

I am pretty much leaning towards getting the UE46B8000 along with a HT-BD1250 or HT-BD1255. Will this setup keep me happy for a couple of years, any horror stories about the setup?

Can anyone suggest a better setup for the same ballpark price of about £2-2500?

I'm pretty much set on a LCD/LED based system, but if anyone has thoughts on Plasma then reccomend away.

182FF with cup packs
Sweet, at least I'm not going down a totally nobby route.

Now just to find the place that'll give me the best deal. Bizarrely dixons appear to be the cheapest for the TV.

I think some people are faaar too critical.

I also wouldn't base a decision on what a tv looks like in Currys or something.

Mine is great for what I want. I don't sit 3 inches from it and although all the g33ks on AVF said the speakers are pap, I don't have any problems with them.

dk

911 GTS Cab
yeah, speakers in tv's are always poor as they are designed to be used with cinema surround systems. They only really include them as a must, having a 1080p picture and then built in speakers for sound is FAIL really, you really need a 5.1 system to get the full experience. Plus with TV's getting so thin there is nowhere to actually house anything decent. I'm amazed the Samsung LED ones actually have any!

Gavin.

ClioSport Club Member
i was told it was approx. 10 yrs for a plasma and 15 yrs for an lcd in which case i would have a new tv within 10 yrs anyway.

if im taking sh1te feel free to let fly ;)

182FF with cup packs
I personally prefer the picture type from the LCD over Plasma. That was all I really based my decision on, then having decided to go down the panel route I thought I might as well get the best one out there :) which, by all accounts, appears to be the Samsung LED ones.

Also, I have a habit of leaving the channel selection bar up on virgin by accident and then buggering off to do something else, like surf the net for 6 hours, so, even though I know they suffer from burn in a lot less these days, I thought I'd go down the less chance of burnin route :S

Though if others have a compelling real word arguement about something better, then I'm all ears.

anyway, either way I'll only have to live with it until OLED's become affordable :star: (yeah i know, in 5+ years time)

dk

911 GTS Cab
pioneer have pulled out of the tv market.

they may still have stock around but i'd prefer to go with a manufacturer who is still around.

Samsung have been making some of the best lcd's for years. My M series is now about 4 years old and has never missed a beat, it is still perfect, can't fault it apart from the fact its only 720p.