ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Mag Test Drive - Cupra TDI Vs 182

Anybody read it ?

Dont think it is the best road test, but the Ibiza Cupra TDI matched or was quicker than the 182 in every disciplin ! Surely a wake up call for the petrol heads !

Also, their 182 did 22mpg on test ! i couldnt match that on a track day early this year !

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)

lol ive got 14mpg out of mine.

(btw thats been posted before.)

172 cup TT

not suprised really, diesels are getting crazy now... they shouldnt have compared it against the mid-of-the-range 182 though!, but to a cup. That would have shown the Seat followers up!

Quote: Originally posted by Homer on 19 October 2004

Anybody read it ?

Dont think it is the best road test, but the Ibiza Cupra TDI matched or was quicker than the 182 in every disciplin ! Surely a wake up call for the petrol heads !

Also, their 182 did 22mpg on test ! i couldnt match that on a track day early this year !

Well the Cupra has a TURBO, stick a turbo on the 182 and watch it go.....lol ;)

Simon.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

cupra r is a waste of time, may aswell buy a fr and revo it, and see about 180bhp. they have come on massive leaps over the years. still sound crap tho, and are to heavy to be good handlers (bar some)

Clio 172PH2

it was very close actually - both around 0 - 60 6.8secs on the road test,but after that cupra pulled better - still slated for sounding like a diesel and shi*

suspension, ok maybe 50mpg but still over 1500 quid more expensive than theclio,clio actually came out on top overall - get more gear with the clio 2 as well as the leather interior - no matter how crap people might say it is its better than the cupras!

yeh but what about for the missus? she does so many miles being a professional mum and she prefers the clio to the lexus !?!? shame i take the clio to work all the time now, been looking at getting something economical due to the mileage she does and the cupra sounds spot on, im interested in trying one out just because that performance in a diesel sounds stupid

Quote: Originally posted by shmall on 19 October 2004

Anybody read it ?

Simon.
Ok, shall we run the clio 182 on diesel to make it fair then ? ;) :p

Seems a bit odd that the 182 won overall, seeing as it only beat the Cupra in one area and that was chassis (the Ibiza won in all other catagories exept for performance, which was equal). I think it is a bit unfair tho seeing as the 182 wasnt standard, it had the cup suspension. Why couldnt they compare both cars totally standard? I am not saying that the Ibiza would handle as well as the 182 but that is not the point, it obviously would have been closer if both cars where standard. The Ibiza also had the better brakes, it was able to stop about 3 metres (I think) less than the 182.

golf

Well i would hope it would stop better. Its got huge Brembo bad boys on it! Would be a little dis-heartend if it didnt!!!

Can anyone post the stats on the Ibiza Cupa TDI?

I found these:

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/ibiza/site/choices/models/handler,lang=en,templateId=carspec-ibiza,modelyear=2005,carname=ibiza,trim=Cupra,pagetype=ts.html">http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/ibiza/site/choices/models/handler,lang=en,templateId=carspec-ibiza,modelyear=2005,carname=ibiza,trim=Cupra,pagetype=ts.html

but by reading those it doesnt seem that impressive. Of course, 0 - 60 is nothing, especialy when talking about a diesele which probably does 60mph in 3rd, but still, the mags states that the 0 - 60 was 6.8 for both, so it seems a bit strange. Is it about another Ibiza Cupra TDI model?

Anyway, I guess a chip would see that car really fly :)

-Chip & Dale

Anybody read it ?

Simon.
People seem to forget that Diesel is a naturally less calorific fuel(forgive the spelling). Less calories = less power per bang regardless of how it is exploded!!! Its like running a petrol car on 65 RON fuel instead of 95 RON.

MINI JCW

I cant find this magazine anywhere, anyway what was the 182 0-100 time and in gear times?

[Edited by gazcaddy on 23 October 2004 at 7:50am]

Quote: Originally posted by papa? on 20 October 2004

Anybody read it ?

Simon.
People seem to forget that Diesel is a naturally less calorific fuel(forgive the spelling). Less calories = less power per bang regardless of how it is exploded!!! Its like running a petrol car on 65 RON fuel instead of 95 RON.

NO, I know that, I just hate Oil burners, and always have.....its a thing with me, sorry, much prefer a petrol TURBO....:D

Simon.

Renault Clio 172 Ph2

was a good review. brought mag yesterday. im getting a gas flowed head on my 182 for xmas pressie from LAD so ill jus have to worry bout chipped ones HOPEFULLY. still the 182 got a bigger fun factor, and my 182 is just for weekends and evenings so all good to me! and i think the interiors are ok actually.

Quote: Originally posted by chrismac on 20 October 2004

Seems a bit odd that the 182 won overall, seeing as it only beat the Cupra in one area and that was chassis (the Ibiza won in all other catagories exept for performance, which was equal). I think it is a bit unfair tho seeing as the 182 wasnt standard, it had the cup suspension. Why couldnt they compare both cars totally standard? I am not saying that the Ibiza would handle as well as the 182 but that is not the point, it obviously would have been closer if both cars where standard. The Ibiza also had the better brakes, it was able to stop about 3 metres (I think) less than the 182.
You sure?

Quote: Originally posted by RobHardyUK on 23 October 2004
was a good review. brought mag yesterday. im getting a gas flowed head on my 182 for xmas pressie from LAD so ill jus have to worry bout chipped ones HOPEFULLY. still the 182 got a bigger fun factor, and my 182 is just for weekends and evenings so all good to me! and i think the interiors are ok actually.

:eek:

Everyone says they are sh*te do not let em touch your clio!

Take it to GDI / Angelworks! :D

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..

..yeh do urself a big favour and do a search on LAD, dont waste ur money there

Quote: Originally posted by papa? on 20 October 2004

Well the Cupra has a TURBO, stick a turbo on the 182 and watch it go.....lol
Diesel has more power per liter than petrol (one of the reason for better MPG). Problem is the fact engines need to rev to get power diesels are limited to ~4k due to there heavy moving parts weight.

Also diesels are underfueled as standard its like running a petrol on 60% the fuel it should run on, chipping and tunning boxes up the fueling but there not the optimium way to more power.

One day youll all be convinced of diesel power. Ive just got to win the lottery to prove it.

Yeah i have a copy of the mag, seemend to slate a few things about the 182, mainly the interior, and the steering wheel hight and so fourth, however it did beat the Cupra overall, just though.

Quote: Originally posted by brazo on 23 October 2004

Quote: Originally posted by chrismac on 20 October 2004

You sure?

Yes, unless the cup pack makes no difference to the handling? I did not say that it would have been close if thats what you think, but if the 182s suspension wasnt modified then it would obviously would have been CLOSER. Surely it would have been a more fair review if both cars where standard?

I couldnt care less mate, Matt 172 asked a question so I replied. It means nothing to me what some pen pusher thinks so I have nothing to get over.

The 0 - 60 of the Cupra is quoted on the SEAT website as 7.6 yet the magazine got 6.8? At the back of the magazine in the stats it still stated the Ibiza as 7.6.

I know 0 - 60 isnt everything but 7.6 to 6.8 is still quite a bit of difference.

http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/ibiza/site/sports/power/main,lang=en,templateId=carspec-ibiza,modelyear=2005,carname=ibiza,eng=1.9+TDi+PD+160.html">http://www.seat.co.uk/generator/su/uk/ibiza/site/sports/power/main,lang=en,templateId=carspec-ibiza,modelyear=2005,carname=ibiza,eng=1.9+TDi+PD+160.html

I had my Cupra 160 TDI on the Rolling Road yesterday and it put out 180bhp on 3 seperate runs (which would explain the 0-60 time). Before anyone says the rollers where wrong, there was also a Leon Cupra 180 that made 178bhp as standard before my car went on and a 110bhp Toledo that TDI that made 116bhp after me so the rolling road seems to be pretty accurate. I also know of another Ibiza Cupra TDI thay had 175bhp standard with only a few hundred miles on the clock. Both Test Drive mag and Auto Express managed the same times for the Ibiza Cupra TDI so I believe those times. Either way I am not getting into an argument, I was just making what I think is a valid point about the cup pack

everyone knows the pd engines make way more than book when on the rollers the 130 makes about 145-150 the 150 160-170 etc etc