ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New member and owner of Clio 200 Cup - any ownership tips?

Clio 200 Cup
Hi all,

Bought my Clio 200 Cup 4 weeks ago (2010, white, 'proper' Cup car, black speedlines) and absolutely love it. Previously had a normal 1.3 Ka and then the 1.6 SportKa. I would only call the SportKa a 'luke-warm' hatch so this is my first proper hot hatch. Even on the current wet, greasy roads, it feels amazing: the overall balance, grip and that engine - the top end of 3rd gear never gets boring. Having said that, I feel like I've barely even scratched the surface of the car's abilities.

Would be interested to hear from other owners about any general tips for driving, maintenance, how to get the best from it, etc.

Cheers

Clio 200 Cup
Not a biggie but my only issue with the car so far is the aerial. Radio reception seems really poor - possibly because it's so short? Any longer ones available?

Advikaz

ClioSport Club Member
Not a biggie but my only issue with the car so far is the aerial. Radio reception seems really poor - possibly because it's so short? Any longer ones available?

Got any pictures of the aerial? Mines not that short... Maybe someone has put a naff aftermarket one on yours....

Mines fine.

Clio 200 Cup
Got any pictures of the aerial? Mines not that short... Maybe someone has put a naff aftermarket one on yours....

Mines fine.

Without being ridiculously immature :) its about 5 inches long. Don't know if this is standard or not? Reception in my old Ka was much better. As I say, it's a minor thing but if I don't plug in my ipod, I can only get Radio 2 and 4!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Sounds like you've got an aftermarket Ariel mate.

Driving tips, learn to heel and toe, it helps when pressing on :) keep the tyres decent (that is: don't fit budgets) and you can't go wrong

got any pics?

Clio 200 Cup
Thanks. Recently put new ContiSport Contact 5s on the front.

I keep hearing about heel and toeing in evo magazine, Chris Harris videos, etc. Definitely want to work on it. It smooths downshifts, protects the transmission, keeps the car balanced?

I've taken one rubbish pic on my phone, which I've uploaded as my avatar but I'm being a bit thick because I can't see how to insert a pic from my phone rather than a website.

Considering signing up to be a full ClioSport club member. What do you get out of it? Any national/regional meets?

Welcome to the forum!

I just picked up my '11 RS200 this morning. It is such a difference from my last car (1.4 ZR) as I am sure you are noticing as well.

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Hey dude, welcome along. Love hearing about other Cups, mines a 'true' Cup too. I have crap radio reception too, to the point I dont listen to the radio anymore. I put it down to the 'Frenchness'.

Any plans?

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks. Recently put new ContiSport Contact 5s on the front.

I keep hearing about heel and toeing in evo magazine, Chris Harris videos, etc. Definitely want to work on it. It smooths downshifts, protects the transmission, keeps the car balanced?

I've taken one rubbish pic on my phone, which I've uploaded as my avatar but I'm being a bit thick because I can't see how to insert a pic from my phone rather than a website.

Considering signing up to be a full ClioSport club member. What do you get out of it? Any national/regional meets?

Yup, all correct. Helps with slowing the car too so you're always in the correct gear. Definitely worth looking into, the pedals in the mk3s are brilliantly spaced so you don't even need to twist your right foot :)

Regarding a full membership, you get full access to the forum (I.e market place/cars and car parts for sale and 'other' for sale, you get guides and access to post in the regional meets)
tbh, nothing stops you from viewing the regional meets, so you can see them then turn up... You just can post in them.

unless you're after guides and things for sale, I can't see you missing out on full membership, but for £12/£1 per month I don't see any reason you'll be disappointed becoming a full member. Most people pay just for the crack on lol

Golf 7.5R & Clio 200
Yup, all correct. Helps with slowing the car too so you're always in the correct gear. Definitely worth looking into, the pedals in the mk3s are brilliantly spaced so you don't even need to twist your tight foot :)

Regarding a full membership, you get full access to the forum (I.e market place/cars and car parts for sale and 'other' for sale, you get guides and access to post in the regional meets)
tbh, nothing stops you from viewing the regional meets, so you can see them then turn up... You just can post in them.

unless you're after guides and things for sale, I can't see you missing out on full membership, but for £12/£1 per month I don't see any reason you'll be disappointed becoming a full member. Most people pay just for the crack on lol

I have tried to learn heel toe. I failed, awfully. :(

Clio 200 Cup
Hey dude, welcome along. Love hearing about other Cups, mines a 'true' Cup too. I have crap radio reception too, to the point I dont listen to the radio anymore. I put it down to the 'Frenchness'.

Any plans?

The Frenchness was one of my theories too, that or some sort of extreme weight saving measure to save a tenth off the Nurburgring time but I don't think even Colin Chapman took it that far! I did buy the car despite expecting typical 'French' build quality but I've been very impressed so far. My Dad runs his own garage and he was very sceptical about me getting a Clio but he thinks they're a step up from the standard car. Have since read that they finish the RS products at a separate factory in Dieppe.

I really want to take the car to North Wales to have a go on the 'evo triangle' but I'm going to wait until the roads dry up. Think I'm going to sign up as a full member and come along to some of the meets. I'm guessing they start in the Spring?

Clio 200 Cup
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to practise first at low speeds, no traffic, dry road etc - maybe even on a wide straight so no corners!

Clio 200 Cup
Welcome to the forum!

I just picked up my '11 RS200 this morning. It is such a difference from my last car (1.4 ZR) as I am sure you are noticing as well.

Yep compared to my 1.6 SportKa it feels like a ferrari. As I said, the top end of 3rd and 4th gears always makes me smile!

Just out of interest, did it take you long to find your car in your ideal spec/colour/age etc? I was looking for about 4 months but I think that was because I was being fussy about wanting the recaro seats.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
I really want to take the car to North Wales to have a go on the 'evo triangle' but I'm going to wait until the roads dry up. Think I'm going to sign up as a full member and come along to some of the meets. I'm guessing they start in the Spring?

There is no set date really, I can't see any proper drives happening soon but we have meets fairly regularly, just going for food, pics or drinks

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Thanks for the tip. I'm going to practise first at low speeds, no traffic, dry road etc - maybe even on a wide straight so no corners!

Its not that difficult or dangerous, but don't try it with someone behind you incase you accidentally slam on lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep compared to my 1.6 SportKa it feels like a ferrari. As I said, the top end of 3rd and 4th gears always makes me smile!

Just out of interest, did it take you long to find your car in your ideal spec/colour/age etc? I was looking for about 4 months but I think that was because I was being fussy about wanting the recaro seats.

Nope. First search on autotrader, there was one 15 miles away. In black. Standard Sport with all the extras along with the Cup Chassis. That also included Recaros. Had everything I wanted in it. Think I got pretty lucky.

Westfield, 182, 200
Hi!

Just looked at my 200 cup and the aerial is about 8" long. My wife is parked next to me and hers (197 lux) is about 2" longer. Both are standard and both don't appear to have any reception problems!

1.6 Astra Sporthatch
Is there a guide for this? Had a look but looks like a time-consuming job!

I wish, I've been annoying half the forum by keeping asking how to do it! I believe its take off the wipers, then the plastic scuttle panel, then there are the two drains one at each end. Both go down to near the floor, where you can take off the wheel then the arch cover and there is a hose, on one side of the car it splits into two and most people recommend you cut it so it is simply one big hose and not the two to avoid blockages. Then the other end there is a flap that most people recommend you cut off to also avoid blockages. This is what I have been led to believe and will be trying this weekend!

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?728362-MK3-clio-drains-and-wiper-arms

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
Scuttle panel is where the wipers are mate. There are drainage holes that get blocked.

Clio 200 Cup
Shouldn't take that long mate, do it as soon as you can.

Cheers.

Random question but what kind of Impreza have you got and have you driven any kind of RS clio? If so, how much quicker is the Impreza than the Clio? Is it just 'pretty quick' or does it properly shove you back in your seat when you put your foot down?

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
An excuse to post them

Feb200121045.jpg

trackcar005_zps377c0599.jpg

trackcar014_zpsaa8081b7.gif

inferno022.jpg

Clio 200 Cup
Wow that interior looks pretty serious! Those sparco seats make the recaros in my 200 like child seats!