ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New power steering pump fitted. Now have whining noise.

Hoping anyone may have an insight into this before I talk to my garage/p s pump supplier tomorrow.

Had a failed power steering pump. Had a refurbished Renault item fitted and a new p s pressure switch. Just got the car back and took for test drive. Noticed every time I operate steering I get a whining noise. Noise gets progressively louder as the engine revs increase.

Now does this point to an over tightened belt or something regarding fitment by my garage. Or would the only thing to cause this be a crap pump from supplier ?
Any help would be greatly appreciated as I don't want to point the finger in the wrong direction tomorrow. Dan@SJM I'm sure you could enlighten me. :):)

Evo
Aren't the tensioners spring loaded to a pre determined belt tension so I can't see how the garage has overtightened it unless they've done something silly like route the belt the wrong side of an idler etc.

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
Mine whines and gets louder the more I rev.. its leaking fluid. I've got another sitting here ready to go on so hopefully I don't get the same whining noise after :eek:

Ah right. Wasn't sure how it worked.

They did fit a p s pump just 2 months ago to my Car but the main seal failed so have had to have another one fitted! And that one didn't make a noise. So I would think they'd have fitted the belt right.

Looks like it's pointing towards the pump itself then.....

This is turning into a nightmare.

Called pump people who supplied pump. They said it's air in system causing noise.

So took to the garage that fitted it and they said it's the pump. That you cant bleed it through a valve and you just work it lock to lock to get air out.
So both not taking blame for it so don't know what to do.
I've had to pay for Labour, belts and fluid twice. Turning out to be expensive and annoying and I'm fed up. :(
Any help would be appreciated. Wish I had it recovered to Dan sjm in first place now.

Have they fitted the belt the correct way round?
uploadfromtaptalk1409402516926.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409402523984.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409402529583.jpguploadfromtaptalk1409402536734.jpg

It's hard to get a decent pic. Does that look right?

I can't see any bubbles or foam in fluid res. Apparently that's a sign of air in system.

It's probably the pic quality. It's a new belt.

Once they fitted it I checked the belt and there's blue writing/branding on it that I could see and it looked brand new. No dirt and printing looked unworn

Ok. Will do.
Priced a genuine pump up from Wolverhampton Renault on here. Was 185 with 35 back with your old pump. But had to fit shaft into pump yourself and apparently it's easy to damage the pump if you assemble it wrong. So I didn't want to chance having a buggered pump fitted .... which I ended up with anyway!