ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New prototype in the cold light of day

Something we've cobbled together other the last few months behind the scenes - a few of you should see the significance of it :cool:

On the car ready for the next stage of map development. Very much a prototype in its current state as many of the tertiary parts have not moved to production yet such as a TB backing plate - however the core concept is finished. Running well at the moment ;)

Prototype.jpg

Cro

Meg'd r27
Is it something halfway between throttle bodies and an airbox? We demand a RR :rasp:
Looks awesome in carbon anyway

Is it something halfway between throttle bodies and an airbox?

It's a direct replacement inlet manifold - implements all of the existing sensors, ECU, & TB. The Plenum is formed from 7 ply CF for vacuum integrity and formed for maximum flow efficiency.

Looks smart guys, jenvey manifold?

Correct - but with Injector bosses added in house - the normal Jenvey setup places the injectors in the spacers after the base manifold. Every other part has been designed by myself and manufactured using local companies.

340i
That's why you seemed so clued up on my thread about the jenvey manifolds ;)

Looks very smart, when is it going for mapping?

Mk2 1.2 Campus
Will this work? I was under the impression that the inlets should be of equal length. Surely number 1 cylinder will command a better air flow if it's hollow inside?

That's why you seemed so clued up on my thread about the jenvey manifolds ;)

Yeah, this thing has been my life for the past 6 months, many 4am finishes! Mapping is TBC. It runs very well on the Fastchip calibration already on the ECU with no significant issues, although that said it has not been pushed that hard yet!

Will this work? I was under the impression that the inlets should be of equal length. Surely number 1 cylinder will command a better air flow if it's hollow inside?

I don't fully understand your question, but I can assure you the runners are equal in length.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
This looks very interesting.

How does the power delivery with this compare to ITB's? Any idea on expected gains too?

Final prices, gains etc are still realistically 2 months away and that's not what the thread is for.

So have patience and key an eye on a traders section.

Last edited:
How does the power delivery with this compare to ITB's? Any idea on expected gains too?

Neither can be determined until the car is correctly calibrated & RR'd. That said the theory & numbers suggest a change in delivery towards the top end - so we'll have to see ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Neither can be determined until the car is correctly calibrated & RR'd. That said the theory & numbers suggest a change in delivery towards the top end - so we'll have to see ;)

Does sound very interesting, I'll be keeping an eye on this :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Looks great Tom! Looks amazing, especially from the photos you showed me.

I need to see this tomorrow!

Looks sublime, kinda like a M3 CSL airbox/inlet for a clio ....

And they work/sound fairly well iirc ;)

Sorry. Had to get something BMW related in my post.

lol

hopefully Tom's is cheaper though!

Looking good lads, cant wait to see results.

Similar concept to the angelworks manifold that hasnt appeared yet, right?

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
is there a reason its so long? could it not be short to allow a maxogen to be fitted with it trumpet pointing into the grille?

Thanks chaps :)

Well in the sense that it is a replacement manifold I believe so?

The basic idea is to lift the cars NA performance, whilst retaining all of the standard electronics & functions. Your essentially designing around the cars native language and engine bay space, not cutting into this and throwing away that.

is there a reason its so long? could it not be short to allow a maxogen to be fitted with it trumpet pointing into the grille?

Yes, too clear the coolant hose and for flow reasons that I won't bore you with.

I don't understand why you would want a maxogen - it would more than likely restrict this - not aid it? Trumpets/CAFs to grills etc, forget it - on a car of the Clios pace there is microscopic gains to 'ram' air.

Last edited:
No - it's a revised intake manifold design - for instance the carbon fiber part is like the RENAULTSPORT part on the standard manifold ;)

ipodsandguns

ClioSport Club Member
  GW X200 CUP
I knew there's coolant hoses there but i wouldnt have thought altering a hose for a set up like this would be too much work but i didnt think this was the reason for the length.

Id like to be bored with the air flow stuff if thats cool? iv done plenty of reading upon air flow in induction pre TB but im sure its different post TB and im keene to learn some thing. PM if you dont wanna fill your thread.

This sounds a little argumentative like im challenging your work but im not at all, im just very interested :)