ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New rear bearings - advice and cost

Rys

Clio 2 RS 182
I've just had my car worked on (service + rear brakes + handbrake), and one of the reasons I had the rear brakes and handbrake cables changed was because the discs and pads were shot, the cables were stretched, and the handbrake wouldn't hold the car completely on a hill.

When it wouldn't hold the car, there was a loud creaking as it slipped forward/back on the brake.

Following the recent work there's now an intermittent noise that sounds much the same from the left rear while driving, and the car still doesn't hold completely on a hill on the handbrake (and makes the same rough noise) :(

The noise comes and goes as mentioned while driving, and doesn't seem tied to any particular bumping on the road or cornering load.

I thought the rear disc swap would mean new bearings too, but after doing a bit of searching I guess the old bearings could have been kept.

Does it sound like the bearing to you guys? If so, what am I looking at for parts and labour (time too) for a rear bearing swap on a 172?

Cheers!

Rys

Clio 2 RS 182
I should mention that the car feels totally fine while being driven, when it makes the noise. No pulling or slowing or anything that would make me think the brake isn't totally disengaged.

Renault Clio 1.2 16V
I have a 2002 expression which had the same sonding problem as u from the rear left wheel a dull humming drown took it to our local garage only cost me £70 for (i think) a used new bearing and does the handbrake just not need adjusting ?

I doubt the old bearing would have been kept in pal, they are a b*****d to get out, and when they come out they won't be in one piece, I tried and failed a few times.

I would have a look at adjusting the handbrake again. The creaking could just be your rear beam or the springs as the load is transfered when you let your foot off of the brake and let all of the weight onto the rear.

Rys

Clio 2 RS 182
Pretty sure genuine discs were used, but I'll check with Birchdown tomorrow (unless Steve reads this first!). Doesn't sound too expensive to fix regardless, presuming it is the bearing.

Rys

Clio 2 RS 182
Just the 100 or so miles back home today. Should I give it a chance to bed in?