ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

New Xbox announced, tonight 18:00PM

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
How would you be able to see a difference in graphics? Of course they are going to look the same as what they are now, you was watching it on a 360 after all...

(With a 8 year old graphics chyp + engine)

An 8 year old graphics chip that's more than capable of playing a pre-rendered HD video. That's got to be the stupidest comment of the thread so far lol.

Also the bits I was referring to are in Forza 5 - the groups of people still look very fake even in a pre-rendered clip. Also in QB, when the bridge is being hit by the boat, looked very CGI. Was expecting better. Of course dk86 you are right that I shouldn't pass judgement until actual game play footage is seen/confirmed, but I just hope its going to be better than I have seen so far.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
Oh and has everyone forgotten the 2 weeks it was down in 2008, I knew I'd forgotten a big outage, they even have us a free arcade game download, there were constant problems for 2 weeks straight.

Xbox live fans are like apple fans, quick to forget any issues with their beloved brand!

I joined in 2008 so must have missed that :) I like xbox over PS because it does almost everything including working as a WMC extender. I have 1 couple with every TV in the house as the primary source for TV/video. I just wished they had Blu-ray built in, now my wish has been granted :)

Adamm.

ClioSport Club Member
I don't get the whole xbox needs to be connected to Internet at all times. What will happen if its not? It's not exactly going to self destruct lol.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
I imagine if it cant get a connection, it will continue to work for a given period of days like the sky box. nothing to worry about imo.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I imagine if it cant get a connection, it will continue to work for a given period of days like the sky box. nothing to worry about imo.
if you disconnect your sky box from the phone line, nothing will happen to the service you receive, ever, it doesn't need it to function, so slightly different.

What MS are talking about is your console connecting to the internet every 24 hrs, if it can't connect after 24hrs you can't play.........

I think one of the reasons for this is so that if you trade in a game, they will then block it from your live account, but if you aren't connected to the internet, they can't, so thats why they are going to force it, and why if you aren't connecting it won't allow you to do anything etc.

they are also going to monitor all tv you watch, and the only reason they'd want to do that is to target ads, i just think the new box is VERY restrictive and VERY big brother, its all so locked down, i really hope the PS4 is not so nazi ruled!

Sony can learn from the reactions to the Xbox, and hopefully give us the product we want.

Where are you getting the info from about the 24 hour period, and locking games dk?

I'm yet to read anything like that.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
if you disconnect your sky box from the phone line, nothing will happen to the service you receive, ever, it doesn't need it to function, so slightly different.

I thought if a sky box cant access the Sky server over telephone or Ethernet, then it will still allow you to play ppv events up to a given amount (used to be £50)? On the ERP systems I write, it authenticates each client with a central server, but if the sever can be accessed it allows then to use the program for another 5 times. I imagine it will be something like this. I really cant see It shutting down the system fully after only 24h if it fails to authenticate.

dk

911 GTS Cab
I thought if a sky box cant access the Sky server over telephone or Ethernet, then it will still allow you to play ppv events up to a given amount (used to be £50)? On the ERP systems I write, it authenticates each client with a central server, but if the sever can be accessed it allows then to use the program for another 5 times. I imagine it will be something like this. I really cant see It shutting down the system fully after only 24h if it fails to authenticate.

What events would be over £50?

World orgy finals?

anyway, if you want to order something, then yes, you'll need to have it connected, but if not connected for 6 months it won't affect your normal viewing, it's a bit like saying you need to have an Internet connection to play online with Xbox, but if you don't want to play online you don't have to have a bb connection. But with the new system you will need to be connected all the time, and have it check in once every 24 hrs, and I think this is predominantly because of the trade in game system, to stop people trading in a game and then to keep on playing it for a week offline.

481444_508527739215003_2111322879_n.png

​LOL!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
What events would be over £50?

World orgy finals?

lol not for 1 event, I meant a total of £50. not sure if you can still do it, but you used to be able to put the phone line to a 9v battery, which would make it think the line was not available and get £50 worth of ppv for free provided you never connected the box again. Obviously as soon as you connect it back up again, it charges you.

An 8 year old graphics chip that's more than capable of playing a pre-rendered HD video. That's got to be the stupidest comment of the thread so far lol.

Also the bits I was referring to are in Forza 5 - the groups of people still look very fake even in a pre-rendered clip. Also in QB, when the bridge is being hit by the boat, looked very CGI. Was expecting better. Of course dk86 you are right that I shouldn't pass judgement until actual game play footage is seen/confirmed, but I just hope its going to be better than I have seen so far.

HAHA ok then.

So you're saying that chip is going to play it back as well as like a GTX660?

clio 16v

What MS are talking about is your console connecting to the internet every 24 hrs, if it can't connect after 24hrs you can't play.........

I think one of the reasons for this is so that if you trade in a game, they will then block it from your live account, but if you aren't connected to the internet, they can't, so thats why they are going to force it, and why if you aren't connecting it won't allow you to do anything etc.

they are also going to monitor all tv you watch, and the only reason they'd want to do that is to target ads, i just think the new box is VERY restrictive and VERY big brother, its all so locked down, i really hope the PS4 is not so nazi ruled!

Sony can learn from the reactions to the Xbox, and hopefully give us the product we want.

Exactly this. There are also rumours that the new version of connect will be mandatory and always on. Couple that with mandatory internet connectivity and what's to stop Microsoft recording everything that's happening in your living room?

If the Ps4 has similar functionality then I'll be jumping off the console band wagon and building a high end gaming rig.

AB182, Audi A5 3.0
HAHA ok then.

So you're saying that chip is going to play it back as well as like a GTX660?
It will be near enough exactly the same as its not being rendered in real time on the console. It is just a video file being played on the console. Just as it would be the same if you played it from youtube or wherever. All your doing is playing a HD video file, not rendering animation.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Exactly this. There are also rumours that the new version of connect will be mandatory and always on. Couple that with mandatory internet connectivity and what's to stop Microsoft recording everything that's happening in your living room?

If the Ps4 has similar functionality then I'll be jumping off the console band wagon and building a high end gaming rig.

Microsoft is one of the world leaders in terms of privacy.

You're whole argument is based on rumours. Yes, Kinect will be 'always on', but thats a feature of the console. The whole point being that when game developers make a game, they KNOW that everyone has the same hardware With Kinect. It makes game developement easier when the developer knows exactly what hardware every consumer is running.

I think you need to stop being so paranoid. If it bothers you that much, face Kinect towards a wall if you must LOL

Oh and, your network provider for your mobile phone can track you 24/7. Hell they can listen in on your calls. Using an Oyster card in London lets the government see exactly where you've been. We have the most cameras in the city of London than anywhere else in the world. I guess you better get that tin foil hat out and get off the grid fast!!!!

1.2 16v
It depends what you want out of it.
To me it's a console. And they're meant to play games on, and by the looks of it I'll be going Sony for the simple fact there is power there for the developers to exploit. Imagine battlefield 4 a lot more in it's shading/physics part. Although shading/shadows doesn't sounds like much.. It can completely change the way a game can look and how immersive it is. If you have a played a pc and played with all the games' settings etc you'll know what I'm on about.

All of the jargon MS have advertised I can get from my 3D TV. The only thing it's missing is it's next gen games, and if you compared on paper ATM, it's missing a more powerful PS4. Only time will tell lads and lasses.

dk

911 GTS Cab
yeah, I'm not exactly sure why id want to play my sky through my xbox, my sky box has a perfectly good enough epg as it is.

let alone having to have box boxes using full power all the time, which is going to cost in electricity, and isn't kinect always going to be on or something, that might get annoying, especially if its following you around waiting for you to give it a command.

i'll probably still end buying both consoles, but the xbox will be off until i turn it on to play a game.

Honda. Tesla Someday
yeah, I'm not exactly sure why id want to play my sky through my xbox, my sky box has a perfectly good enough epg as it is.

let alone having to have box boxes using full power all the time, which is going to cost in electricity, and isn't kinect always going to be on or something, that might get annoying, especially if its following you around waiting for you to give it a command.

i'll probably still end buying both consoles, but the xbox will be off until i turn it on to play a game.

Kinect following you around?? LOL

Using full power all the time - you mean even when its suspended in standby???

Come on guys...

Honda. Tesla Someday
It depends what you want out of it.
To me it's a console. And they're meant to play games on, and by the looks of it I'll be going Sony for the simple fact there is power there for the developers to exploit. Imagine battlefield 4 a lot more in it's shading/physics part. Although shading/shadows doesn't sounds like much.. It can completely change the way a game can look and how immersive it is. If you have a played a pc and played with all the games' settings etc you'll know what I'm on about.

All of the jargon MS have advertised I can get from my 3D TV. The only thing it's missing is it's next gen games, and if you compared on paper ATM, it's missing a more powerful PS4. Only time will tell lads and lasses.

Online play will still always be better on Xbox. 300,000 servers + MS Azure + cloud computing for games = much bigger online matches - hosted on servers - lots more players - better looking!

You have to look at the whole package. Technically the ps3 was 'more powerful' than the 360, however, it only ran at like 70% efficiency, and the 360 ran at 100% efficiency because the architecture was superior - 360 games almost Always looked and performed better. All of these things come in to play when looking at game developement. How much can you get out of a console taking int o account the consoles OS etc.

IMO, Microsoft nailed it with making the 360 so efficient, and I don't see them screwing it up this time.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Reports coming in about Sonys version of 'allowing used games' to be played.

Yes they said 'we allow our users to play used games', but they never explained 'how'.

Reports now suggest that Sony will most likely opt for a similar solution to what Microsoft is rumoured to be doing.

The grass is not greener on either side when it comes to this issue. However, speculation and rumours are exactly that - must wait for clarification whenever either side decides to address these questions and provide solid confirmed answers.

Titanium 182
Technically the ps3 was 'more powerful' than the 360, however, it only ran at like 70% efficiency, and the 360 ran at 100% efficiency and half of them exploded.
Fixed that.

I nearly exploded when I saw people saying in here that there hadn't ever been any Live downtime, until someone mentioned the 2008 incident. I remember they gave us the worst XBLA game in existence as an apology. Two weeks the service didn't work for!

The cloud computing does sound good in theory, but it will be severely hampered by latency and bandwidth. Also it means if you take your console away somewhere where you don't have an internet connection, you'll lose certain functionality in games, maybe even some games won't work at all, like if you don't have a HDD. It will be interesting to see how they make it work.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Fixed that.

I nearly exploded when I saw people saying in here that there hadn't ever been any Live downtime, until someone mentioned the 2008 incident. I remember they gave us the worst XBLA game in existence as an apology. Two weeks the service didn't work for!

The cloud computing does sound good in theory, but it will be severely hampered by latency and bandwidth. Also it means if you take your console away somewhere where you don't have an internet connection, you'll lose certain functionality in games, maybe even some games won't work at all, like if you don't have a HDD. It will be interesting to see how they make it work.

Yes, the 360 had a hardware issue... BUT so did the PS3 (yellow light).

The thing to focus on here is... HOW did each company deal with the issue?

Sony - kept a 1 year manufacturers warranty, admitted to a techical flaw causing PS3's to fail, CHARGED customers £120 for repairs.

Microsoft - EXTENDED warraty to 3 YEARS, fixed ALL affected consoles for FREE + gave compensation / free Xbox Live for a month etc.

BIG difference.

Also, when PSN was down and out for over a month, how did they treat their users? Well firstly, the didnt tell their users that their personal information may have been stolen... til a WEEK AFTER it was stolen!! I mean come on, you trust these fools with your personal info, they think its been stolen and they fail to tell you?? Typical Sony, the list goes on! What was Sonys compensation for lying to you, having a months downtime and putting your personal info at risk? 2 free game downloads from a small list and (this is the best part) - making you digitally SIGN a new mandatory agreement that you can NOT sue them for leaking your personal info!

Yeah, people think Microsoft is bad... Sony will stab you in the heart and make you believe they're doing you a favour!

AB182, Audi A5 3.0

HDMI input is brilliant imo. Means I can watch the HDMI input whilst chatting on Skype or playing a game. imagine watching sports with your long distance mates with in screen video. Also it means I don't have to change the input on my projector/tv. Also the Kinect will just be in a low power mode waiting for a voice command I expect, like 'Xbox-On'. It wont follow you around the room.

Yaris Hybrid
Reports coming in about Sonys version of 'allowing used games' to be played.

Yes they said 'we allow our users to play used games', but they never explained 'how'.

Reports now suggest that Sony will most likely opt for a similar solution to what Microsoft is rumoured to be doing.

The grass is not greener on either side when it comes to this issue. However, speculation and rumours are exactly that - must wait for clarification whenever either side decides to address these questions and provide solid confirmed answers.

Yup; I called this one at the time when MS announced it.

The publishers call the shots on this. If you want their games on your console, if you want exclusives, if you want to be the first console to have the DLC then you (Sony or MS) need to dance to their tune.

Everyone needs to take a get real pill - Sony and MS couldn't give a s**t either way. They sell more consoles if they allow you to trade used games as you please or they may get a small cut of used games sales if they add restrictions. I suspect that overall that leaves the console manufacturers in a neutral position but forced to bow to the publishers demands.

The publishers want used game restrictions and Sony and MS are taking the flack. I guess Sony and MS will ensure they take a cut on used sales given all the bad publicity it cost them. Sony are just being smart and announcing it second so MS take more of the heat. No doubt people will blame MS when Sony announce restrictions and claim that Sony were just following MS's lead.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Pretty much confirmed: Xbox One to feature 'remote play' (similar to ps4) - allows a friend to take control and help you with your game... VIA SKYPE!!!

F*cking epic.

Honda. Tesla Someday
Yup; I called this one at the time when MS announced it.

The publishers call the shots on this. If you want their games on your console, if you want exclusives, if you want to be the first console to have the DLC then you (Sony or MS) need to dance to their tune.

Everyone needs to take a get real pill - Sony and MS couldn't give a s**t either way. They sell more consoles if they allow you to trade used games as you please or they may get a small cut of used games sales if they add restrictions. I suspect that overall that leaves the console manufacturers in a neutral position but forced to bow to the publishers demands.

The publishers want used game restrictions and Sony and MS are taking the flack. I guess Sony and MS will ensure they take a cut on used sales given all the bad publicity it cost them. Sony are just being smart and announcing it second so MS take more of the heat. No doubt people will blame MS when Sony announce restrictions and claim that Sony were just following MS's lead.

Its refreshing to read your post - was getting sick of people taking rumour as fact.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Kinect following you around?? LOL

Using full power all the time - you mean even when its suspended in standby???

Come on guys...
look deekay (cheapo version of dk), when I'm watching sky through my skybox which is through my xbox, both devices are on, suing twice the power than if i was just using my sky box.

​think about it.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
look deekay (cheapo version of dk), when I'm watching sky through my skybox which is through my xbox, both devices are on, suing twice the power than if i was just using my sky box.

​think about it.

You look at your electricity bill?

dk

911 GTS Cab
Online play will still always be better on Xbox. 300,000 servers + MS Azure + cloud computing for games = much bigger online matches - hosted on servers - lots more players - better looking!

You have to look at the whole package. Technically the ps3 was 'more powerful' than the 360, however, it only ran at like 70% efficiency, and the 360 ran at 100% efficiency because the architecture was superior - 360 games almost Always looked and performed better. All of these things come in to play when looking at game developement. How much can you get out of a console taking int o account the consoles OS etc.

IMO, Microsoft nailed it with making the 360 so efficient, and I don't see them screwing it up this time.
erm, you do know they are both using the same architecture this time right, and the sony is reportedly going to be up to 50% more powerful for graphics, explain your way out of that for the xbox going to have better games.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Yes, the 360 had a hardware issue... BUT so did the PS3 (yellow light).

The thing to focus on here is... HOW did each company deal with the issue?

Sony - kept a 1 year manufacturers warranty, admitted to a techical flaw causing PS3's to fail, CHARGED customers £120 for repairs.

Microsoft - EXTENDED warraty to 3 YEARS, fixed ALL affected consoles for FREE + gave compensation / free Xbox Live for a month etc.

BIG difference.

Also, when PSN was down and out for over a month, how did they treat their users? Well firstly, the didnt tell their users that their personal information may have been stolen... til a WEEK AFTER it was stolen!! I mean come on, you trust these fools with your personal info, they think its been stolen and they fail to tell you?? Typical Sony, the list goes on! What was Sonys compensation for lying to you, having a months downtime and putting your personal info at risk? 2 free game downloads from a small list and (this is the best part) - making you digitally SIGN a new mandatory agreement that you can NOT sue them for leaking your personal info!

Yeah, people think Microsoft is bad... Sony will stab you in the heart and make you believe they're doing you a favour!
lol, you are such a FANBOI!!!!!! (proved by the fact you waited in line for 20 days so you could be at the front for the new halo game, ok maybe exaggerated by a couple of days)

glad you mentioned the hardware issue (as nobody else had), MS were shocking with that, absolutely shocking, they sent an update out, it bricked loads of peoples machines, they denied it was an issue for months and months and eventually started to fix peoples machines but you had to send it away for an undetermined amount of time, when really they just sent you a reconditioned one back.

And mine was bricked by this update too, pissed me right off, i had 2 xbox failures since i had one, yet i still have a launch PS3 ticking over just fine with no issues whatsoever.

MS are far from an innocent party in this, nearly everyone i know with an xbox had it replaced at least once, whereas i don't know anyone who had an issue with their PS3 personally.

And as far as the PSN going down, we weren't paying for the service, so you can give them some leeway on that tbh, but when yoga re paying for a premium service it is unacceptable to have it down for that long, and then they didn't give us anything more than a £2 game download, at least Sony gave people a few games to download, and what information in your sony account are you frightened of someone stealing anyway, nothing in mine tbh, i enter the credit card details each time i purchase something so they wouldn't have got those.

dk

911 GTS Cab
Its refreshing to read your post - was getting sick of people taking rumour as fact.
really, who cares about second hand games?

i can't remember the last time i bought one, with the supermarkets selling games now you can pick new ones up dirt cheap anyway, sometimes cheaper than used (to me used games are already overpriced anyway)

and yes i know i should have multi quoted, but I'm not ch1p, and deekay was splattering all over the place anyway.

Honda. Tesla Someday
erm, you do know they are both using the same architecture this time right, and the sony is reportedly going to be up to 50% more powerful for graphics, explain your way out of that for the xbox going to have better games.

Up to 50% more powerful? LMFAO! How? Just because they have GDDR5 which is basically updated GDDR3 which sacrifices CPU performance for GPU, meaning the games may look 'slightly' better but will not have AI / Physics up to par with the XBO versions?

​The architecture is similar, its not the same.

Honda. Tesla Someday

​think about it.

I agree with what you're saying - BUT some HDMI pass through can simply work as just a pass through - meaning the XBO may not be required to be switched on to watch 'normal' sky without an XBO overlay. :)

dk

911 GTS Cab
Up to 50% more powerful? LMFAO! How? Just because they have GDDR5 which is basically updated GDDR3 which sacrifices CPU performance for GPU, meaning the games may look 'slightly' better but will not have AI / Physics up to par with the XBO versions?

​The architecture is similar, its not the same.
its more than similar, and if you haven't already, have a read of this before you say any more about the ps4 not being 50% more powerful.

http://www.sonyrumors.net/2013/05/27/why-the-ps4-is-50-more-powerful-than-xbox-one/

thats just one of thousands of sites saying the same thing, you only have to google it, in google you only get to ps4 5....before it completes it for you.

Honda. Tesla Someday
lol, you are such a FANBOI!!!!!! (proved by the fact you waited in line for 20 days so you could be at the front for the new halo game, ok maybe exaggerated by a couple of days)

glad you mentioned the hardware issue (as nobody else had), MS were shocking with that, absolutely shocking, they sent an update out, it bricked loads of peoples machines, they denied it was an issue for months and months and eventually started to fix peoples machines but you had to send it away for an undetermined amount of time, when really they just sent you a reconditioned one back.

And mine was bricked by this update too, pissed me right off, i had 2 xbox failures since i had one, yet i still have a launch PS3 ticking over just fine with no issues whatsoever.

MS are far from an innocent party in this, nearly everyone i know with an xbox had it replaced at least once, whereas i don't know anyone who had an issue with their PS3 personally.

And as far as the PSN going down, we weren't paying for the service, so you can give them some leeway on that tbh, but when yoga re paying for a premium service it is unacceptable to have it down for that long, and then they didn't give us anything more than a £2 game download, at least Sony gave people a few games to download, and what information in your sony account are you frightened of someone stealing anyway, nothing in mine tbh, i enter the credit card details each time i purchase something so they wouldn't have got those.

I'm a fanboy for queueing for a game launch? LoL ok then.

FYI I own both a 360 and a PS3 - the reason I dislike Sony is because they lie too damn much and I don't agree with their bullsh*t.

My Xbox got the RROD, I sent it away, came back within 4 days repaired. It was the same xbox as the one I sent (Had the same marks on it and same serial number). They said it would tak ea maximum of 2 weeks. (There was an amount of time allocated).

I know a good few people who had to pay £120 to get their PS3's repaired. I paid nothing to have my xbox fixed. I don't know of Anyone who has had to pay for a 360 repair. I know at least 3 people who paid for PS3 repairs.

Regarding your points about PSN being a 'free' service, yes, it is a free service. Fair enough. But, even though its a 'free' service, you still bought in to their console and their online offering as a consumer. You purchased that machine being told that you can play online whenever you wanted, it was part of the sale. So, you had still 'paid' to use the service which was dead for a month.

You opted not to store you card details on PSN, others did. Its not just card details being stolen that put you at risk. Its personal information; names, addresses, contact details, passwords etc. It doesnt take a lot to clone an identity. They should have told their customers that they were at risk instead of waiting a week and trying to hide it. Thats a fact.