ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newbie here. Just picked up my first car!

Clio 1.2
Its a 1.2L Renault Clio, and its currently being delivered to my house whilst I'm stuck at work wanting to take it out tonight.

Havent got any pictures of it, but it looks similiar to this.

f1_12_sb.jpg

Its a V reg ('99), only done 37,000 miles and cost me £1,800, which I think is a bargain. I was suprised at how nippy it was compared to the old 1.1L N reg Clio Oasis I used to drive (which was my mums)

Anyway, I wanted a 172, but I thought it'd be best to get a 1.2L, build up a few NCB's before upgrading. However I want fun with the 1.2L, which brings me to ask a question.

What good mods can I do, which are relatively cheap? (Not talking about boyracer trash, more like engine/clean look mods) Can you lower a standard 1.2 clio, and is it worth it?

Thanks,
Ben (Happy Clio owner :D)

Octavia VRS
Welcome
Your Clio will be the same shape as my V reg 1.4 not the newer shape like above. £1800 is a damn good price for a V plate IMO, especially with 37k on the clock. Nice work!
I'd recommend doing some subtle mods - alloys, lowering 40mm, phase 2 clio rear lights, Dynamique/172 spoiler. Don't spend too much on it tho as you can put some cash away for a 172/182! I lowered my car 30-40mm on Eibach springs and the handling is a lot better

Clio 1.2
POW_Clio said:
Welcome
Your Clio will be the same shape as my V reg 1.4 not the newer shape like above. £1800 is a damn good price for a V plate IMO, especially with 37k on the clock. Nice work!
I'd recommend doing some subtle mods - alloys, lowering 40mm, phase 2 clio rear lights, Dynamique/172 spoiler. Don't spend too much on it tho as you can put some cash away for a 172/182! I lowered my car 30-40mm on Eibach springs and the handling is a lot better

Thats the sort of mods I was thinking of doing. How much would something like those cost though?

And thanks, being patient paid off with that price. :)

Octavia VRS
MCFC said:
Thats the sort of mods I was thinking of doing. How much would something like those cost though?

And thanks, being patient paid off with that price. :)

Eibach pro springs - £150 from http://www.motorsportworld.co.uk/ (Apex do cheaper springs and are also good). Just need someone to fit them.
Rear phase 2 lights - I got a brand new set for £27 off eBay inc delivery. Pretty easy to fit although I haven't had time yet!
Alloys - again look on eBay or keep a check on 'Other for sale' on here. I picked up Dynamique alloys for £150 and got the rims refurbed.
Spoiler - as above!

R.I.P 182
Welcome!!! Enjoy your Clio, and as has been said by youself, dont go silly on modding it, save it for a BEASTY 172 / 182 / veeeeeeeeeeeee six!!

C4 Grand Picasso
Welcome to Cliosport mate, you've bagged yourself a bargain I reckon, the car looks lovely. I had a 1.2 and lowered it with some PI springs bought from someone on here for £50 then a friend-of-a-friend siold me a set of tyreless 172 alloys for £80 and it looked 10x better. Agree with everyone else, if your planning on a faster car then save for one, it would be dead money modding a 1.2.

Last edited:
MCFC said:
Anyway, I wanted a 172, but I thought it'd be best to get a 1.2L, build up a few NCB's before upgrading. However I want fun with the 1.2L, which brings me to ask a question.

What good mods can I do, which are relatively cheap? (Not talking about boyracer trash, more like engine/clean look mods) Can you lower a standard 1.2 clio, and is it worth it?

Best thing you can do is get some lightweight alloys and decent tyres, then sort the suspension out. This will give best performance gains in terms of overall ability of the car, as tuning a 1.2 is a bit of a waste of time for the cost to gains ratio. Speak to j3ned if you want more power, he throws 172 engines into these for fun lol

Golf R/Leon FR
hey mate, id lower your car 60mm dude i used to have a x reg clio 1.2 and i lowered it 40mm on 172 wheels and wish id lowered it more. are you gonna put alloys on it.
£1800 for a v reg is a bargin!!! best thing to do mod wise is mk2 ph2 rear lights, maybe colour code, clear side repeaters, induction kit and exhaust.