ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Newsgroups - need current info please

I'm looking to set up a newsgroups server and downloading client.

I have supernews bookmarked, Id rather pay monthly via paypal and then renew manually rather than automatically for now if any do this.

Can anyone recommend who's currently best? I haven't really got a clue but I've read the sticky and from what I understand I will pay monthly for a server, download a client, possibly pay for an index search?

And have downloaded QuickPar.

Any other info would be good, I've done a search of some threads on here but cant find any current threads, will search more when home.

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
I use newshosting, pay 15 dollars a month I think for unlimited data. I can't do data plans because I did about 400 gig downloading last month :eek:

I'm doing a trial with giganews at the moment.

And using Grabit, are there any better newsreaders ? Im finding this is slowing down my pc and my pcs not slow by any means.

I use Newsdemon for the access and SABnzbd for downloads (as well as Sickbeard for keeping things up to date). Not sure if we are allowed to post where to find the NZB's though but it cost about £7 for lifetime access.

Bus w**ker
I use Newsdemon for the access and SABnzbd for downloads (as well as Sickbeard for keeping things up to date). Not sure if we are allowed to post where to find the NZB's though but it cost about £7 for lifetime access.

This is identical to me. Newsdemon wise I just buy a 50Gb none expiring block (£6.20) and top it up every couple of months when it gets down to around 5Gb. I only really use NZBs for TV series though, torrents still rule for me for everything else and everything is done through my NAS.

Ive switched to SABnzbd now, I like it much better than Grabit.

I think Ill use Astraweb when my trial with Giganews runs out.

I dont know if im not searching hard enough but the content on matrix and a few other sites are definitely not as good as torrents.

I've also found this (although from RS not Torrents). It's excellent for newer stuff and things do get put back on if they drop off but it's not as complete as torrents (although some of the older torrents you may struggle for seeds anyway).

For me it's a more secure way of downloading so I take the hit on lack of older content, it's also much faster than most torrents.

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Can someone PM me how newsgroups work? Never had a look before, but it looks interesting!

Blocknews ( http://www.blocknews.net/ )is also worth a look, never had any problem's with them.

Their price plan:

5 GBs - $2.75!
10 GBs - $4.50!
25 GBs - $8.50!
50 GBs - $11.79!
100 GBs - $14.69!
200 GBs - $21.59!
500 GBs - $51.49!
1,024 GBs - $91.39!
3,072 GBs - $239.99!

I didn't even know Newzbin 2 had gone. Hadn't used them in a while. I've only just learnt that NZBMatrix is dead.

There will be another indexing service that pops up before long. If not, I'll just resort to manually searching usenet through a reader.

Does anyone actually think this is going to make people buy s**t films? I only use these services for TV shows anyway. Whilst probably still technically illegal, it's not exactly crime of the century.

Real shame, I've now just ticked all the free ones on Sickbeard (especially the Sickbeard Index) and it seems to be able to pick up all I've done a manual search for. Unsure on what to use to replace NZBmatrix for other things though :(

KDF

Audi TT Stronic
Yep, i've gone through too many index sites now and matrix was the last straw.. just finished setting up my own indexer.. but it does take a while to index it all lol. My system runs 24/7 anyway so meh !

keeping it low key as well just now.. but have been looking at dedicated server hosting in certain foreign countries :D

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
Yep, i've gone through too many index sites now and matrix was the last straw.. just finished setting up my own indexer.. but it does take a while to index it all lol. My system runs 24/7 anyway so meh !

keeping it low key as well just now.. but have been looking at dedicated server hosting in certain foreign countries :D

Help a brother out? ;)

I spent last night trying out this Sickbeard thing, facking awesome, no idea how I'd never heard of it before.

You're a hero. People like you keep the spirit of the original internet alive. The proper internet, not the namby f**king pamby politically correct Big Brother internet we are now facing.

I tip my hat to you, sir :)