ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next engine mod?

After my rolling road result -

158.8bhp at 6500.
147.4lbft at 4355.

Ive decided i need a little more power.

Mods so far engine wise are, ITG maxogen and decat.

Im looking at-

Inlets
RStuner
New exhaust(Running standard kwik fit crap at the minute)

Im tempted to go for the RStuner, due to the value for money. Want inlets but i think Ben is on holiday :dapprove:

Thought and opinions :)

thanks

M

mini-valver

Definately exhaust first mate. After that, I'd look at moving the battery, and getting the inlets done, 182 manifold and get rid of some weight!

Chocolate Bar™
182 mani is too big a job imo for what you gain.

i would go with exhaust before anything else.

M

mini-valver

The main reason I'd use it is for MOT (If you dont know a friendly mech) the performance aspect id just a bonus IMO!

M

mini-valver

Dont bother then mate, £3-400 by the time you've got it fitted with a link pipe. Better spent on a proven exhaust.....

but exhausts don't add power? just character/better build/etc (unless the Kwikfit is particularly poor - ?)

i'd go for the exhaust for those reasons but would have thought you'd be looking at either of the other two for an actual power increase?

M

mini-valver

but exhausts don't add power? just character/better build/etc (unless the Kwikfit is particularly poor - ?)

i'd go for the exhaust for those reasons but would have thought you'd be looking at either of the other two for an actual power increase?

:rolleyes: They are a massive influence on power.

mine's done absolutely nothing for the power. there are other differences but the OE exhaust is straight through.

lift number 1 @ btm
on the subject of the 182 mani,
i found a big difference after fitting it. it felt much torquier. but it is a big job to fit!

Was very tempted to buy ryans earlier. But after i bought that, £200, then link pipe £100, then fitting, £100 say ish?

£400 for what might be 10bhp if im mega lucky?

Suppose its cheaper than a race exhaust ;)

lift number 1 @ btm
the 4-2-1 is a torque mod, everyone thinks that it is where the extra 10 came from for the 182, but it is to compensate for the torque losses that came from the different cams and timing.

172 Race Car
Those ptfe gaskets were very surprising. after a 15min blast in quades car the plenham was still cold!!

You couldnt touch the head it was so hot, worth it

Pmsl, most standard exhausts on cars are majorly restrictive, changing it for a less restrictive one can only be a good thing.
:rolleyes: They are a massive influence on power.
For sure :)

mine's done absolutely nothing for the power. there are other differences but the OE exhaust is straight through.
OE exhausts are also made of cardboard lol ! They really aren't the best quality at all.

having changed the exhaust has made chuff all difference on mine. are substantial gains proven on the std engine?

i'd be surprised as manufacturers generally do a very good job of designing systems for the compromise between power and noise. the OE system is straight through but is quiet due to the design of the silencers/expansion boxes and the pipe bore. manufacturers obviously compete with one another in the showroom power stakes and it's really in their best interests to fit efficient exhaust systems - and modern systems generally don't present a restriction to the std state of tune.

i'll eat my hat if you get anywhere near 10hp from an exhaust swap on the std engine! just don't see it.

Punto JTD
Option 1: Exhaust and Decat

Option 2: Same as above, but panel filter and remap.

Option 3: Same as above (without remap), but CAMS, Inlets and Manifold and a custom remap.

:)

having changed the exhaust has made chuff all difference on mine. are substantial gains proven on the std engine?

i'd be surprised as manufacturers generally do a very good job of designing systems for the compromise between power and noise. the OE system is straight through but is quiet due to the design of the silencers/expansion boxes and the pipe bore. manufacturers obviously compete with one another in the showroom power stakes and it's really in their best interests to fit efficient exhaust systems - and modern systems generally don't present a restriction to the std state of tune.

i'll eat my hat if you get anywhere near 10hp from an exhaust swap on the std engine! just don't see it.

No aftermarket exhaust will give 10bhp, maybe 5bhp yeah (if your lucky)
but coupled together with other mods the aftermarket system will work better, if you get it remapped so that the mods go hand in hand then you'll be on to a winner.

As you say, manufactureres make their exhausts for what they feel will appeal to the masses, i.e provind in a decnet mpg figure & a subtle noise. An aftermarket (stainless steel) system will be as loud as you want it'll also (as I said) be less restrictive than the OE system. It will also last a heck of a lot longer.

The bottom line is, if aftermaret systems were not as good as that OE one no one woyld buy them.

"Navy" N17 TWO
So start with the exhaust then - thats the route I'm taking next. Already have a Maxogen & CAF

shiftspark

ClioSport Club Member
  R53 GR86
After my rolling road result -

158.8bhp at 6500.
147.4lbft at 4355.

Ive decided i need a little more power.

Mods so far engine wise are, ITG maxogen and decat.

Im looking at-

Inlets
RStuner
New exhaust(Running standard kwik fit crap at the minute)

Im tempted to go for the RStuner, due to the value for money. Want inlets but i think Ben is on holiday :dapprove:

Thought and opinions :)

thanks

Thats exactly the same output as my bog standard 182! best value for money is a custom re map.

Thats what I will be doing, exhausts, inlets(maybe worth it on yours) and air filters add very little for cash spent.

I think the kwik fit exhaust is very restrictive compared to even OE.

So i think ill be changing that first.

Cant decided between, ktec stealth, taking a trip to prospeed for a recessed exhaust, or getting a yozzasport race or road??