ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Next Generation Consoles

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
PS4 review:

http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review/

Was certainly expecting more than a 7.5/10 really.

But the PlayStation 4's focus on gaming — and only gaming — is undermined by a distinct lack of compelling software. That failing is sure to improve — better games and more of them will appear on the PlayStation 4 — but right now, this is a game console without a game to recommend it. Early adopters of the PS4 this fall are buying potential energy. We're just waiting for a place to spend it.

Cracking review though, really in-depth.

Wasn't too happy about the 7-8 hour battery life of the DualShock4 either. Wow. Coming from 30 hours of the DualShock3.

But our biggest complaint for a controller that some at Polygon otherwise consider the best they've ever used: over the course of a hundred plus hours with the DualShock 4, the battery life appears to sit somewhere in the 7-8 hour neighborhood, a fraction of the 30 hour battery life on the DualShock 3. As the system only includes one micro USB cable 1.5 - 2m in length, marathon sessions might happen on your floor near the PS4. As with the DualShock 3, the DualShock 4 battery isn't intended to be replaced, though enterprising users may be able to find replacements online in the coming years.

Deary me.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
PS4 review:

http://www.polygon.com/a/ps4-review/

Was certainly expecting more than a 7.5/10 really.

Cracking review though, really in-depth.

Wasn't too happy about the 7-8 hour battery life of the DualShock4 either. Wow. Coming from 30 hours of the DualShock3.

Deary me.

Thanks for sharing mate thats really interesting.

Wonder if anyone will do a similar review for the XBO.

Looks like Sony have opted for a "safer" option.

Without games though its nothing more than an expensive doorstop (aka PS3).

Revels Mum & Sister
It sounds to me like as stated the PS4 is a Games Console first and foremost. If it does other stuff consider it a bonus. Which is fair enough if you are a hardened gamer but for the likes of me I want something that is a Media/Games environment which the One seems to be

I know I have made the right choice. But sure people will love the PS4 and when some killer titles come out I will likely buy one.

Mini JCW
Yup without any good games.

Lol. Killzone.

Bar Forza the 720's pretty sparse tbf. 2014's the year for good titles.

Just wondered why so many people are hung up on lack of DLNA when TV's / Phones / Tablets / Laptops / MP4 players etc all do the same, so plenty of other options to stream.

Revels Mum & Sister
Thing is apparently while Killzone looks good as a game it is not actually that good...

Also for a console that states we are basically just a games console the other stuff we dont care about to then have a poor launch selection along with little on the horizon for a while is pretty poor....

Also when people drop £350 on something like that with a slick interface and control method they expect compatability with their media. Also you have kind of answered your own question. Every media device has this function.... So why not the PS4?

Mini JCW
Thing is apparently while Killzone looks good as a game it is not actually that good...

Also for a console that states we are basically just a games console the other stuff we dont care about to then have a poor launch selection along with little on the horizon for a while is pretty poor....

Also when people drop £350 on something like that with a slick interface and control method they expect compatability with their media. Also you have kind of answered your own question. Every media device has this function.... So why not the PS4?

In all honesty I think it'll be re-introduced as an update on launch anyway.

Much like the lack of 3D playback on the 720.....

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Another nice review, but I thought I'd include the downside to it, just to bring back what was mentioned a few days/weeks back about overheating issues in the small box:

http://www.gamesradar.com/ps4-review/

You'll hate: How dang hot the PS4 gets
This could get ugly. Even when the PS4 is idling, without any application or game running, this system gets heated. The top of the console won't get hot enough to fry an egg, but the heat exhaust from the back of the system is palpable. If you're planning on some marathon gaming sessions with your new console, you could make it double as a space heater. And we highly advise that you don't leave it in an enclosed home theater case--our best guess is that it'd be cooked to well done in an hour.

Thus far, the PS4's heat hasn't been an issue; then again, we've only had it for less than a month. We're not saying that the first generation of PS4s is destined for a mass red-ring-of-death/yellow-light-of-doom scenario, but if you're nervous about sending your console in for repairs, you might want to consider waiting to see how the initial production run fares in the wild.

Mito Sportiva 135
The internal power supply probably doesn't help - much as I dislike external power supplys it probably helps disipating the heat well.

Still undecided about One vs PS4.

Pros for One - better controller, Titanfall, Halo, used to Xboxes, better online (current gen anyway)

Pros for PS4 - cheaper, more powerful (to what extent that will be born out in performance remains to be seen), potentially some other exclusives worth playing down the line

It really is hard to choose especially if my gf is buying me one for Xmas!

A4 Avant
I'm going to sit out purchasing either one until probably spring next year. See what issues are about and which seems to be better suited for me in the realworld rather than from the paper specs. I haven't seen a launch title thats made me think I must have one now.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Neither console has a stellar launch line up regarding exclusives. PS4 has 1 worth shouting about in Killzone and Xbox One has 2 to shout home about in Forza and Dead Rising. The rest of their launch line up is cross platform games.

The smart buyer will probably wait until the end of Q1 2014 before buying, when some more exclusives start to make their way out.

Revels Mum & Sister
Neither console has a stellar launch line up regarding exclusives. PS4 has 1 worth shouting about in Killzone and Xbox One has 2 to shout home about in Forza and Dead Rising. The rest of their launch line up is cross platform games.

The smart buyer will probably wait until the end of Q1 2014 before buying, when some more exclusives start to make their way out.

Not sure how waiting makes someone 'Smart' there are a few titles to play and features to play with.

Mini JCW

What do you expect from a launch title though? I mean KZ games of old haven't exactly been critics favourites.

With Naughty Dog on board, I have high hopes that the PS4 will have some stellar titles. So basically the 7.5 score is because of a lack of launch titles for a purists console, and poor battery life on a controller they seemingly loved? Ok then.

Make no mistake, the PS4 is demonstrably more powerful than the competition.

^It'll be interesting what they say in the 720 review with regards to that.

Civic Si

And the PS4 it would seem....
Seems a bit odd considering the PS3 had 3D playback didn't it?

I've read it will come in as an update at some point.

What do you expect from a launch title though? I mean KZ games of old haven't exactly been critics favourites.

With Naughty Dog on board, I have high hopes that the PS4 will have some stellar titles. So basically the 7.5 score is because of a lack of launch titles for a purists console, and poor battery life on a controller they seemingly loved? Ok then.

^It'll be interesting what they say in the 720 review with regards to that.

If you want to establish any credibility in your replies try using the correct name. As soon as you start using fanboi speak your argument is typically rendered mute.

dk

911 GTS Cab

confirmed today that the PS4 will also not play 3D blurays, nor rewriteable blurays, cds, dvd's that have not been finalised etc. oh and scratched discs.

now to me, that sounds like its not a software issue, but they've gone for a really really cheap made player to keep the cost down, hence the lack of support for anything other than retail purchased dvdd and blurays pretty much.

Oh and the 8hr controller battery life is surely not an issue, does anyone really play for more than 8 hrs straight on a console? just like iPhones, charge it each night etc.

I have decided not to get a PS4 at launch though, I'm going to wait until watch dogs or something else special comes out in the spring, it'll be xbox one for me at the moment.

dk

911 GTS Cab
interestingly the PS4 still seems to be winning the polls

More gamers are interested in picking up a PlayStation 4 this holiday than an Xbox One or Wii U, a new study from Integri Entertainment has found. The study of more than 5,000 people found that 58 percent were interested in buying a PS4, compared to 39 percent for Xbox One, and 1 percent for Wii U.The study has a 1.4 percent margin of error, Integri said.
The PS4 beat out the Xbox One and Wii U in every category of the Integri study. Sixty-two percent said the PS4 design was the most aesthetically pleasing, compared to 36 percent for Xbox One and 1 percent for Wii U.
As for new features for the platforms' controllers, 51 percent said the PS4's DualShock 4's touch pad was more innovative than the Xbox One's trigger rumble feature (35 percent) or Wii U GamePad second-screen experience (14 percent).
In terms of software, 50 percent of respondents said the PS4's software lineup was the most impressive, compared to 48 percent for Xbox One and 2 percent for Wii U.
Lastly, the Integri study touched on popularity of specific exclusive launch titles. Of those planning to pick up an Xbox One, 35 percent said Dead Rising 3 was the main appeal, followed by Forza 5 (26 percent), Ryse: Son of Rome (25 percent), and Other (4 percent).
Meanwhile, 52 percent of people planning to buy a PS4 said they are most interested in Killzone: Shadow Fall. Following that game in terms of popularity were DriveClub (20 percent), Knack (15 percent), and Other (13 percent).
The PS4 launches this Friday North America, while the Xbox One will go on sale a week later on November 22. The Wii U launched a year ago this month and has failed to meet Nintendo's expectations so far.

I also read that the PS4 is predicted to outsell the XBO over the next 3 years, because while the xbox has a big following in the US, europe and the rest of the world favour the Playstation.

It is also predicted that the price on both consoles will drop a lot sooner after launch than the last generation of consoles.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Really thought Forza would be "THE" launch title for Xbox one not Dead Rising.

dk

911 GTS Cab
in reality, number one game in the first week will be fifa as every fucker is having it forced on them, well nearly everyone.

Audi TT 225 Quattro
Really thought Forza would be "THE" launch title for Xbox one not Dead Rising.

Yep would really look forward to Dead Rising if for some mad reason I bought a 720.... Would look stunning in 720p & 30fps but unfortunately it doesn't seem capable of holding 30fps so chugs along around the 20fps mark:cool: Could be forgiven for thinking its running on a 360.... poor machine, the future looks rosy:dapprove:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vs-dead-rising-3

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Early PS4's dying - no image just sound. Being posted over the internet and YouTube at the moment.

Kotaku reported receiving a broken PS4 that had a defective HDMI-out port. Hopefully the issue isn't widespread and consumers won't be out of luck when it comes to getting replacements.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R

I'm fairly sure it won't just be the PS4, unfortunately.

Bedding in process I guess. But the problem folk have currently is that because the PS4's are adoption consoles, there is no customer support to help at all currently until release.

Clart

ClioSport Club Member
I'm really not feeling these next gen consoles. Nothing is making me want to buy either at the moment.

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Has the PS4 been released then? Or are these just review models?

There are currently 5000 PS4s "out there" and 6 have had issues. 0.1% so not a big number. AFAIK, there are no differences between review models and "actual" models.

The real test will be once its actually launched to see if more issues come up. Though as with all "new tech" there will be reliability issues. You had it with Xbox 360s and PS3s.

I sill have both pre-orders, although I'm 90% PS4.

I'll await the US launch tomorrow of the PS4 to decide before next Friday which I'll pick up.