ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Nicks 172 Cup From The Start!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Surrey Rolling Road yesterday with a few others off cliosport to get the Cup put on the rollers to see what sort of power it was making. I wasn't really fussed at first as I 'was' going to the cup back to standard and sell it.

I'll let the pictures do the talking...

SSR1.jpg

This was last year when I had just the JMS map on it, V6 espace airbox with an ITG filter and a Yozzasport 'sport' cat-back system on it. For those who want to know fly figures it made 168.3bhp/155 ft lb of torque.

SSR2.jpg

And so yesterdays printout, a huge difference from last year but with not a lot more modifications. Chucked out the V6 airbox for the homemade induction kit + heatshield, got a longlife cat-back fitted to it and a set of matched inlets. Made 180.3bhp/162 ft lb of torque at the fly, up there with the similarly modified 182's who were making around 180/181bhp.

The AFR last year was showing it to be just under 14 up to 3500 Rpm and then sinking to around 10! So i'm guessing with the open cone filter and matched inlets getting a lot more air in now, thats what has been making that extra power as yesterdays printout shows the AFR to be around 14.2 upto 4000 Rpm and there after going down to just under 12.

This year I might experiment with a few other little things, I want to try a Ph1 172 head as I've heard they have slightly larger inlet/exhaust ports to see if it makes the AFR from this years prinout a bit better. Would like to get my hands on a 182 manifold also to see if theres some gains to be had from that with either a decat or the standard 200 cell 182 cat.

That will probably be as far as I go with it as anything else will start to be big money and its clearly not going to worth it for the gains given, but we shall see.

Nick

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Is the car staying as it is now then or are you keeping it but still putting it back to standard? If you get a 182 manifold you need a link pipe as the 182 cat won't fit the 172 exhaust.

I'm going to keep it as it is now, would be pointless putting it back to standard to do similar things to another car. Yeah i'll probably go to a longlife outlet so they can make the std 182 cat fit the 172 system and then purchase the decat pipe from ktec also.

Mr Wills ;)

If you are going to look into the ph1 head (which does indeed have larger exhaust ports) I would look at some other options too to help justify the cost, no reason why you can't squeeze more output from her for good £ spent :)

AFR is not everything, Danny has been trying to explain this to me for months!

Instead of experimenting with the car by fitting parts, it would be better for us to log the car in the form your happy with, and then get a calibration prepared accordingly.

DCi 100
BedfordRd6.jpg

Would they be classed as anthra? Look like trophy colour? (Sorry I'm colour blind)

Very nice progress along the thread, swapping seats every 3 seconds. :D

Mr Wills ;)

If you are going to look into the ph1 head (which does indeed have larger exhaust ports) I would look at some other options too to help justify the cost, no reason why you can't squeeze more output from her for good £ spent :)

AFR is not everything, Danny has been trying to explain this to me for months!

Instead of experimenting with the car by fitting parts, it would be better for us to log the car in the form your happy with, and then get a calibration prepared accordingly.

Oi pipe down with the Wills comments! :)

Happy to get the car logged, whatever that is! :) Will have to fill me in with what that all means, be it you, James or Danny! Will come down soon and have a chat and get the ball rolling ;)

Sure mate, always enjoyed working with your car as it is one of the most potent basically modified PH2s we know of!

So not a great deal has gone on really of late with purchasing a Saxo to sort out and sell on but still managed to get a few little things for the Cup. I eventually bit the bullet and got a decat fitted, its a little louder but sounds gorgeous now, nice and raspy! :)

Also purchased a set of Carbone Lorraine RC6 pads, ideally I wanted some RC5+'s but Kam Racing and Carbone Lorraine were both out of stock for the time being so thought i'll just go the whole hog for the more aggressive choice! All I can say is that these pads are amazing, even when cold they bite harder than the standard pads when there nice and warm, and when the CL's have got some warmth in them they are truely epic! Really feels like the car wants to endo! :evil:

Got the car on the rollers at Torque of the Devil today also after my friend was having his carbed corsa set up there. Only real difference was the decat since the last time it was RR'd at SSR in January...

TOTDRR1.jpg

A slight gain on previous (180.3bhp) but at TOTD they set the rollers up to the correct temp/humidity etc etc. After looking at the humidity at SSR supposedly there was 91 degrees of humidity! :eek: So its more than likely that its couple of bhp increase from having the decat fitted which isn't too bad! Also gained 5lb/ft of torque since the fitting the decat, not bad I think seeing as i'm still on the 172 manifold!

So all i've got to get now is a set of Bimarcos Futuras from JMS, hopefully have them fitted in time for my first trackday at Llandow and then spend the rest of year on track!

Nick

TrackCar & F30 330d
WOW 167lbs/ft of torque. Thats pretty good. I only have 165 lbs/ft of torque and i have ITB's lol

I'm deffently with you on the emmencness of those pads :)

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
Very good result indeed mate

Torque is very good, whats even better is that Torque of the devil run very strict rollers, Not a chance of pub talk figures with Chris & Andy, As you can see from the RH & BP compared to SRR

James

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
WOW 167lbs/ft of torque. Thats pretty good. I only have 165 lbs/ft of torque and i have ITB's lol

The main factor is what ITB's? So many kits on the market that do sweet f**k all....

Just look at Burps final mapping figure James, 198.5bhp and 168lb/ft of torque. Looks like you gain a shed load of peak power but not a lot extra torque at all with ITB's. Though saying that I guess they'll make a lot more torque at low rpm than mine.

ITB'd MK1
good figures!!!!! what you have to remember with ITBs is the torque is spread over a greater rev range even if it's not a higher peak figure

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Good result Nick, not surprised at the torque as it does accelerate really well. Did you stick it on the rollers when it was standard?

Didnt stick it on the rollers when it was standard unfortunately Tim. The lowest reading i've got was at SSR in April 09 with just a Yozzasport Cat-back exhaust. Heres the two for comparison

SSR42009.jpg

TOTDRR1.jpg

Since that all i've done is ditch the Yozzasport and fitted these...

Longlife 2.5" System with decat. (No centre Silencer)
Pipercross VAG 20v cone filter with 45 degree bend and heatshield
JMS/Fastchip Remap
JMS Matched Inlets

Then just drive it hard 'quite' a bit and change the oil every 6k miles. Seems to work for me! :)

So a little bit of an update, about 2 months ago the Cup suffered a gearbox failure. It had a reasonably hard time tbh with a bit of Santa Pod etc etc so its been off the road for a while. Last weekend I got another box back from the refurbers and got cracking with Mike (Budgie) and Ollie82 off here. What can I say, these guys are absolutely legends, giving up there friday evening and all day saturday to get it sorted! Can't thank these guys enough! :)

So apart from that havent done a great deal, purchased a new set of wheels (Rota Slipstreams in white), a set of Brembo HC's for the front and eyeing up my next purchase for next month, a set of Corbeau Revolutions! Also got on a painted some engine bay bits as I was getting a little bored of the anthracite.

So anyway heres a few pictures from its first run since the repair :) Still needs the Geometry set up as it toes out bad, and one side has MEGA camber!

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

Brake dust already after a mile :(

5.jpg

Nick

330i. E30 Touring.
Failsport HQ's centre is definitely powered by a mixture of Nick's Mum and how much pizza she cooks, and his foul (but brilliant) mouthed Dad. Makes working fun!

Car looks and sounds epic!

Had a week off so there was a few things I had planned to get sorted in preperation for FCS. Wanted to declutter some of the stickers that have been on there for ages as well as the tacky carbon fibre door pillar stickers. A word of advice to people that have them or thinking of buying them, don't bother as they are a nightmare to get off and fade like mad!

S1053656.jpg

S1053657.jpg

Just waiting now on a new set of Cup badges and the pillars/decluttering is sorted.

Also got another rear bumper as mine was scuffed when I bought it, with my exhaust where its sat i'd of had to make a hole for the exhaust to sit in but decided against and try something different. I'll let the pictures do the talking, was a pretty easy job to do and doesnt seem to look too out of place.

S1053655.jpg

Not a great update but a start of things to come within the next 2 weeks, then they'll start getting a little more interesting! :)

So its that time for the big update!

After me and Tom@JMS had a little chat about the performance manifold they are bringing out I asked if I could put the Cup forward to them to do a bit of development fitting it onto a 172. The car was with them for just over a week and a bit but got it back today! What a lovely piece of kit and looks the mutts nuts, shame the rest of my engine bay lets it down but thats to be sorted in no time.

The power deliveries amazing, really smooth and theres never a time when it feels flat unlike the standard RS inlet manifold which has nothing, nothing then a bit of urgency then back to nothing. Plus it hasn't even got a custom calibration yet so no doubt more to come from the manifold! A big thanks to the JMS guys for the work they've done and putting up with me calling for updates on how its going and putting up with my impatience.

Heres a few pictures of the manifold fitted.

DSC02077.jpg

DSC02084.jpg

Also got my seat through the post yesterday, a Corbeau Revolution! :) Looks fantastic and holds you so well, feels like your in a little a pod inside the car :evil:

DSC02097.jpg

DSC02096.jpg

DSC02089.jpg

Also waiting apon an OMP 10 point bolt-in rollcage to arrive, once that arrives i'll hopefully get that all trial fitted then sent to the bodyshop to have the interior metal and cage painted mondial blue.

So a bit of a mad month, almost getting there to being a mini Cup Racer :)

Nick

TrackCar & F30 330d
Sweet updates, what cage did you get? I cant think of any omp cages which have 10 mounting points but can still be bolted in.

I like the wheels but not sure on the colour, personally a dark grey or black would have been a bit nicer imo.

Car still looks wicked.

Sweet updates, what cage did you get? I cant think of any omp cages which have 10 mounting points but can still be bolted in.

I like the wheels but not sure on the colour, personally a dark grey or black would have been a bit nicer imo.

Car still looks wicked.

Yeah the other points on the bolt in are 2 for the B pillars and 2 just about the windscreen on the roof which you would have to weld some sort of mount to get it bolted to.

Tempted by a set of 2118's tbh with you! I am the original wheel*****! :)

clio 172 cup, aprilia rsv
looks quality m8! loving that seat:cool: would be good 2 c it in the flesh at sum point... still cant decide wether 2 keep mine std or go all out on it! lol c u at work soon m8, think we might be in henley 2moz but who knows!

Looks good Nick, bet it goes like stink now?! When you putting a passenger seat in?!

Its goes pretty well matey, will be better once I get it back from RS Tuning! Might be putting in a passenger seat soon, unfortunately it wont be the same as the drivers seat yet. ;)

looks quality m8! loving that seat:cool: would be good 2 c it in the flesh at sum point... still cant decide wether 2 keep mine std or go all out on it! lol c u at work soon m8, think we might be in henley 2moz but who knows!

Yeah you'll have to pay up for membership and come to one of the meets, hopefully i'll have a 2nd seat back in so I can take you out for a drive also! :)

I wana be up in Henley too but it would seem i'm stuck in 'lovely' Reading South for a while.

200 cup/Btm'd ph1
I got the Revolution from Balance Motorsport, its the XL width seat and cost £420 delivered. Was the cheapest I could find...

didnt think id get a reply that quick!! iv found a set of them 1 normal 1 gt for £730 which sounds quite good then, but there local to me so save on the delivery.

Status
Not open for further replies.