ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No compromise Supercharged ek9 progress thread

M135i
An epic read mate (though it took a few attempts as my laptop kept crashing!)

Really admire your commitment to it and all the cool bits you've got for it. Would love to go nuts at my FD2 at some point, but the prices of some of these JDM bits really are depressing.

I mean, £55 just for a Mugen oil cap? :dead:

Look forward to seeing more!

Charged Superleggera
Thanks for the comments guys. Yup ant prices are pretty crazy for jdm stuff. just because of the huge demand for this stuff but to be fair honda themselves are pretty expensive too for parts.

update:

Been busy this week with rebuilding a pitbike engine for my wee bro and striping down the carbs on my go kart so only managed to get a few things done to the car this week.

The pit bikes kick start idler gear was broken so the casings had to be split to get to them. Turns out that the shaft also snapped so i just put it back together for the moment until i manage to source a new gearset.

Photo2607.jpg

Managed to get the carbs off of the go kart aswell this week to clean them up as the floats were stuck and leaking fuel everywhere.

Photo2425.jpg

For those who are interested the carbs came off of this monster ;). Its gsxr powered go kart, which has kept me busy over the winter.

Photo0312.jpg

Anyways back to the car:

First job was to get my old tyres swapped over as they were of a lower profile. Also got the tyres filled with nitrogen instead of air for a change.

Before:

Photo2262.jpg

Photo2263.jpg

after (excuse, car was pretty manky when i came back from the tyre fitters)

Photo2430.jpg

Photo2431.jpg

Photo2468.jpg

I dont know if its just a placebo effect but the tyres do feel more grippy with nitrogen. im yet to properly test them out though ;)

When i came back i started installing the mugen foot pedals.

Photo2355.jpg

before:

Photo2353.jpg

after

Photo2360.jpg

Photo2359.jpg

I had to remove the radiator cooling plate to drill a hole out for the bonnet alarm switch so i took the opportunity to remove the bonnet catch to give it a good clean and paint

Photo2366.jpg

Photo2367.jpg

bonnet catch off the car:

Photo2351.jpg

i used an old toothbrush and a combination of autoglym engine degreaser and white spirit to clean it up.

Photo2371.jpg

i let it soak for about 30 mins

Photo2368.jpg

and then gave it a good blast with the brush

Photo2369.jpg

came out good but i stil want happy

Photo2414.jpg

Photo2415.jpg

Photo2417.jpg

so went over it with the polishing kit

Photo2416.jpg

and although it looked better i still decided to paint it in some of the vht anodized gold paint

Photo2588.jpg

Photo2590.jpg

Also fitted a few more anodised bolts around the car as i had a couple left over

Photo2449.jpg

Also got this small camera a while ago but forgot about it at the back of the cupboard so will get a bracket made for that this week. hoping to use it maybe for track days or road trips/b road blasts ect.For the price it seems like a pretty good camera with decent quality footage.

Photo2271.jpg

Photo2283.jpg

Photo2284.jpg

Also got my skunk2 control arms in brushed silver through the door this week

Photo2376.jpg

So mock fitted them with the bc coilovers and beaks tie bar to see what the set up will look like under the car. i was pretty happy with them especailly since they should save abit of weight over oem control arms and the bushes are meant to be stiffer too. Hopefully get them fitted as soon as i get the new bolts i ordered today from honda.

Photo2391.jpg

Photo2393.jpg

Photo2398.jpg

Photo2403.jpg

Things never seem to be straight forward with this car. Went to fit the tein bonnet lifters and as i was undoing the nut on the bonnet, it snapped in half :mad:

Photo2438.jpg

got the drill and carefully drilled it out.

Photo2444.jpg

then retapped it using tap that i borrowed from a metal fabricator down the road.

Photo2439.jpg

Photo2440.jpg

finally got it fitted along with a green anodized washer to go with

Photo2446.jpg

out with the old one

Photo2443.jpg

in with the new

Photo2451.jpg

Photo2452.jpg

Photo2453.jpg
#

Photo2454.jpg

overall im very happy with the quality of the tein bonnet lifter over the generic one i had on before, although the tein ones arent as powerful

some of you may remember that a bit of cutting and adjusting was needed to get the aem long arm to fit due to the throttle body sticking out further on my set up so it was no surprise that the fixing point for the bolt holding it down was also displaced so i drilled a new one since i had the drill and tap handy

Photo2458.jpg

Photo2460.jpg

done

Photo2462.jpg

minor job but the squint position of the jubilee clips was also bugging me since the civic meet so i moved them in the correct place.

Photo2463.jpg

Photo2464.jpg

Photo2466.jpg

next day i tried fitting the coilovers and control arms but i couldnt get the bolts holding them on to budge even with a breaker bar. so took it into a garage to get the bolts loosened off but they couldnt get them out and i didnt want them to use and air gun incase the bolts snapped and i would end up having to walk home lol. i ordered replacements bolts from honda so as soon as they get here i will just get them out with an air gun and if they snap i will just drill them out but need to wait for he replacements first.

Photo2478.jpg

Photo2479.jpg

so managed to get 2 of the 8 bolts i need from honda today as it was in stock. £10 for 2 bolts is bloody extortionate imo. whats worse is they want £90 for arb rear drop links. just hope i dont end up snapping mines when i take them off.

Photo2554.jpg

Photo2555.jpg

Photo2557.jpg

The bracket holding the horn on was rusted so that came out for a lick of paint.

Photo2492.jpg

Photo2493.jpg

next i wanted to freshen up the strut brace and i also wanted the colour of the strut brace to match the colour of the rocker cover and supercharger so i removed it and took it next door

Photo2489.jpg

off the car

Photo2497.jpg

These are the brackets and bolts holding the strut brace on. the brackets were custom made to move the strut brace forward and allow it to clear the supercharger. i recently painted them anthracite but i wasnt happy as it started to flake. i decided to get them done in vht wrinckle red to match the rocker cover and strut brace and also to give them more of an oem look.

Photo2498.jpg

strut brace bolts looking abit dull

Photo2495.jpg

so decided to give them a blast with the vht anodized gold paint

Photo2586.jpg

Photo2591.jpg

same with the spark plug cover. although painted recently there were a few imperfections that i wanted to sort out. i kept it anthracite as its similar to the oem colour honda used.

Photo2500.jpg

whipped it off

Photo2501.jpg

got the nitomors paint stripper and vht wrinckle paint out

Photo2508.jpg

Photo2509.jpg

Photo2510.jpg

Photo2511.jpg

Photo2512.jpg

Photo2513.jpg

Photo2515.jpg

everything down to the bare, hosed/dried and wiped down with white spirit i was ready to get painting.

Photo2516.jpg

Photo2517.jpg

Photo2519.jpg

Photo2520.jpg

Photo2535.jpg

Photo2537.jpg

Photo2560.jpg

Photo2568.jpg

Photo2525.jpg

Photo2527.jpg

Photo2529.jpg

Photo2531.jpg

Photo2533.jpg

Photo2564.jpg

the vht paint needs thick layers and heat to make it wrinckle so got the hairdrier out lol

Photo2578.jpg

Photo2583.jpg

took everything inside and let it dry in front of the heater for a while

Photo2604.jpg

Finished and ready to fit

Photo2592.jpg

Photo2600.jpg

Photo2595.jpg

Hopefully get everything fitted tomorrw. also ordered a cheeky wee sticker to go on the back once i detail the car.

Photo2553.jpg

Firas

MaLicE

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Lazy v8
make sure they are trying to undo the nut and not the bolt as its splined and you wont undo it otherwise lol...

Charged Superleggera
yeh malice tried it but still no budge man. its a pretty common problem on the civics unfortunately so new bolts are inevitable i think

Charged Superleggera
Small update:

Fitted the parts i painted the other day. Also got a call from honda saying my bolts are here so should hopefully have the coilovers, control arms and tie bar fitted this week aswell.

Photo2614.jpg

Photo2621.jpg

Photo2628.jpg

Photo2620.jpg

Photo2630.jpg

Also drilled out the hole for the alarm sensor.

Photo2612.jpg

Photo2613.jpg

Photo2626.jpg

Freshly painted bonnet catch,

Photo2616.jpg

Photo2615.jpg

Photo2617.jpg

Photo2618.jpg

Photo2636.jpg

Photo2634.jpg

Firas

LY R26
absolutley love this car mate as you know, no compromise is a understatement tbh haha! such a beautiful example, the edinburgh meet was amazing, i turned up at yours expecting us to just head off, but you were still finding little things you wanted doing on the car, every tiny water droplet off it etc haha, dont blame you though, it certainly is a cracking car! the journey to edinburgh was amazing, even though we were trying to find everyone on the way there only to find out the had pulled into a garage haha! will need to pop down to get that exhaust, tried phoning the other day but no answer. car was looking good yesterday mate, ran into a bit of bother so never made it in town, will give you a phone during the week!

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Awesome no compromise build, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh some time.

Can I ask how much the pedals were?

Oh is the accelerator one not slippy? Looks like no grips.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
If they're anything like the Rx pedals on the later cars, they'll be awesome to use. Perfect for H&T.

Charged Superleggera
absolutley love this car mate as you know, no compromise is a understatement tbh haha! such a beautiful example, the edinburgh meet was amazing, i turned up at yours expecting us to just head off, but you were still finding little things you wanted doing on the car, every tiny water droplet off it etc haha, dont blame you though, it certainly is a cracking car! the journey to edinburgh was amazing, even though we were trying to find everyone on the way there only to find out the had pulled into a garage haha! will need to pop down to get that exhaust, tried phoning the other day but no answer. car was looking good yesterday mate, ran into a bit of bother so never made it in town, will give you a phone during the week!

cheers richy. haha Edinburgh meet was a massive rush to get the car ready but got there in the end eh. was really nice having your company on the trip too and was an enjoyable day as a whole. No worries man come through anytime. ah cool was wondering where you got to on saturday.

You must really love your motors and have a lot of time available to you! The amount of dedication in this thread is insane!!

Nice work as usual.

cheers man:) haha yeh well being at uni means i get megga long summer holidays so got loads of time on my hands and working on the car is my favourite way of killing time. Im just gutted i never made a project thread for my clio as its had the same level of care and money as the ek9 if not more.

Awesome no compromise build, looking forward to seeing it in the flesh some time.

cheers gally.

Can I ask how much the pedals were?

Oh is the accelerator one not slippy? Looks like no grips.

paid around £110 for them mate. Its not too bad but im yet to try them with wet shoes.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I'd love to mate, but since I'm not even running the 182 at the moment it'll be a while off. lol.

Charged Superleggera
Been a while since i updated the thread. Progress has slowed down as i have had to move away for uni. Only get some weekends off where i can come home and work on it. Its off the road now for the winter and iv just bought myself a completely standard civic as a runaround. Its nothing special but is economical and comfortable, which is what i need. In the meantime i Bought few more bits and bobs and waiting for some stuff to arrive from japan.

bought a jdm flare as i never got one with the car.

Photo2731.jpg

Photo2734.jpg

Photo2737.jpg

Also bought a new car cover. water proof and double layered with the inside being a material that is soft and doesnt scratch. The ek9 is garaged all the time but it can get dusty so this should keep the dust off.

Photo2779.jpg

Also got a cammera clamp. it screws onto your dslr or video cammera. will get it clamped onto the miracle cross bar and get some footage when the ek9 comes out to play after the winter months pass.

Photo2781.jpg

Photo2783.jpg

Finally i attended a photoshoot the weekend before the car was tucked away. pictures were taken by my friend for his magazine.

IMGP5072.jpg

IMGP5144.jpg

IMGP5142.jpg

IMGP5140.jpg

IMGP5137.jpg

IMGP5146.jpg

IMGP5156.jpg

IMGP5147.jpg

IMGP5158.jpg

IMGP5158.jpg

IMGP5160.jpg

IMGP5166.jpg

IMGP5169.jpg

IMGP5170.jpg

IMGP5172.jpg

IMGP5080-2.jpg

IMGP5080.jpg

IMGP5078-2.jpg

IMGP5078.jpg

IMGP5075-2.jpg

IMGP5074.jpg

IMGP5069.jpg

Parts that have been ordered and im waiting for are: skunk2 battery tie bar, Momo boss, nrg steering wheel quick release, nrg quick lock and nrg quick lock holder, spoon aero wipers and also should have my spoon b pipe by the weekend.

Next on the cards are a new standalone(dta or hondata) and a remap, spoon 4 pot brakes with goodridge lines, fixed recaro bucket seats, defi or spa dual oil temp/pressure, boost gauges, spc/eibach front and rear camber adjusters and a koyo full length, dual core aluminium radiator. Still alot to be done but should nearing completion by the summer i hope.

A few things that i am still debating on are, whether i should replace my tail lights with facelift ones and also which steering wheel to go for Spoon/Momo tuner, omp, nardi, personal????

Firas

Absolutely love this car, real credit to you, and as you know your Clio was one of my favourite on the site too. I actually sort of know the guy who bought it off you, brother of a friend of a friend type thing, so I should see it about a lot, hopefully he'll keep it as good as it was.

Charged Superleggera
cheers mate. Aye the lad that bought it and his pals that came through to have a look at the clio were nice guys. Felt weird handing over the keys to someone else though but i have had my fun in and i hope he enjoys it as much as i have.

172 Cup, Ibiza Cupra
Lovely car mate and it shows you care about what you're doing. Wish you'd posted up about the steering wheel last week as a boy in my work just gave away a Nardi wheel, i'd have been happier seeing it going to you than the wee scrote that got it for his chav wagon haha.

Mini Cooper S
Love this ek!! Look forward to the updates!! If I had a garage/cash I would love to do something like this!! You have sold me on them!! Added to my ever growing list of cars!! Lol

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
How are the brakes mate? Standard items?

Can't help but think behind the wheel would look good with a nice caliper?

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Some nice touches and attention to detail! Wouldn't mind a wee sqatch the next time i'm popping through scumdee.

Charged Superleggera
Thanks again for the comments lads.

Gally brakes are completely stock with the exception of yellow stuff pads mate. Have no complaints about the brakes for a street car, however im not sure how they would hold up on track. The porsche calipers i had would have been the ultimate set up with a good set of discs, lines and pads, however since that idea never materialised im going to go with spoon 4 pot front calipers, spoon discs along with goodrdrige braided lines and decent fluid. Also i think spoon brakes would look nice behind the wheels too.

cheers ali. yeh sure mate just give me a shout whenever your through this way :)

haha how did i know you were going suggest that chris. To be fair it is probably my favourite steering wheelout of the lot and is probably the one i am going to go for. However, its just a momo tuner steering wheel just like the spoon one but with a pumped up price tag.

Charged Superleggera
Mats were bought from a website that makes custom mats. will try to dig out the name of the site for you.

The first set of tyres on the regamasters were Bridgestone RE01, which were 185/55/15. These were then swapped for Toyo t1r's with a 50 profile as you will see in the more recent pictures. Foot pedals and tein bonnet lifters were purchased from Nengun Preformance iirc

Charged Superleggera
hey dave sorry tried to find that website but had no luck. Will have a look at my statements to see if i can get a name for you.

Update:

This is the new run around civic i bought about a month ago. Great little runner, reasonably comfy and very economical. I stay near the hospital so it only ever gets used when i go to see my parents in the weekends or for shopping and most importantly it keeps the miles and salt off of the ek9, which is tucked away in the garage for the winter. Although i did start it up 2 days ago as it had not been started up for about a month and i took it for a short blast and oh my do i miss it.

Photo2802.jpg

Photo2786.jpg

Photo2791.jpg

Photo2795.jpg

Photo2797.jpg

Photo2799.jpg

Photo2785.jpg

The fixed bride seat arrived but its too small for me so im getting ride of it along with the ek9 recaro's for a set of red fixed recaro pole positions/spg's with another takata harness for the passengers seat.

Photo2755.jpg

Photo2770.jpg

Went on another shopping spree and the majority of parts arrived today:

Photo2896.jpg

The standard momo steering wheel is a good steering wheel but i have never been fully comfortable using it. So went for a Momo aftermarket steering wheel with a spoon horn(still in the post). Its the same wheel thats in the nsx-r but with a spoon horn obviously. It feels awesome and the red stitching sets it off nicely especially with the ek9 recaros, doorcards and carpet being red too.

Photo2840.jpg

Photo2842.jpg

Photo2843.jpg

Photo2848.jpg

Photo2851.jpg

Spoon horn to go with the momo steering wheel, which is yet to come.

spoonhornbutton.jpg

Since i was going down the after market steering wheel route i decided that i wanted an nrg quick release system as it will bring the steering wheel closer to me and will also be a major theft deterrent. No steering wheel, means you cant just drive off. Also im planing on having fixed buckets so getting into the car will be easier with a snap off steering wheel system. So i went ahead and ordered an nrg quick release, nrg short hub,nrg lock and nrg lock holder.

Photo2872.jpg

The nrg quick release is a great bit of kit. Its the 2.5 gen version which has the larger paddles at the side, which look like paddles off a sequential box. pull the paddles towards you and you disconnect the quick release from the hub, allowing you to remove the steering wheel altogether. It comes in various colours but i wanted it to be discrete so i ordered it in anodised black. The whol kit is very well made and has an anti scratch surface. Its also has a ball-bearing system to ensure little play in the steering.
Photo2874.jpg

Photo2875.jpg

Photo2876.jpg

Photo2877.jpg

ball bearings to minimise play

Photo2880.jpg

The Nrg short hub. After buying it i have decided against use it. Its too thin and i want the steering wheel to sit even closer so i ordered a momo hub from funky power last week, which will be used instead of this. Still looks and feels like a very well made item.

Photo2882.jpg

Photo2885.jpg

Photo2886.jpg

NRG lock holder

nrgquicklock-holder_small.jpg

Photo2889.jpg

Photo2887.jpg

Nrg lock. This is again another security feature that nrg offer separately. Basically when you remove your steering wheel you lock this onto the hub preventing anyone else from fitting their own steering wheel. when not in use it locks onto the lock holder, which should be here by early next week. Overall the steering wheel with the full nrg kit comes in at around £550 but when you consider its value as a theft deterrent then it becomes the bargain of the century imo.

Photo2882.jpg

Photo2892.jpg

Photo2896.jpg

Some pics of it partly assembled.

Photo2825.jpg

Photo2824.jpg

Photo2821.jpg

Photo2819.jpg

Photo2818.jpg

Photo2817.jpg

Photo2816.jpg

Photo2828.jpg

Photo2833.jpg

Photo2835.jpg

Photo2831.jpg

Photo2830.jpg

A couple more of the steering wheel set up

Photo2815.jpg

Photo2814.jpg

Photo2811.jpg

Photo2810.jpg

Photo2807.jpg

Photo2806.jpg

Photo2805.jpg

Photo2804.jpg

Also ordered some Skunk2 lower control arm bushes from funky power yesterday aswell, which should be here next week. One of the reasons i never fitted my skunk2 lca's was because 2 of the bushes were starting to split so i had to wait around 1 month for funky power (skunk2 uk dealer) to get some in from the states. The ones i have, have been used for less than 800 miles and yet 2 of the bushes were shot. Not exactly the sort of quality you would expect for £220 but hopefully these new 'revised' bushes should be stiffer and wont perish as quick.

g-468-9797c2daf1761484895d2fc7e3f048589371e24c.jpg

g-468-e396252a184177da081e08847064e5aff81f38ed.jpg

Spoon aero wiper blades. I needed to replace the wipers so i decide to pay a bit more and get spoon ones and since they were on offer at £75, down from £125 i couldn't resist.Still very expensive for just a set of wipers without the arms but i dont know anyone with a set and i always wanted a set so i bought them.

Photo2863.jpg

Photo2866.jpg

Photo2867.jpg

Photo2870.jpg

Photo2871.jpg

Skunk2 tie bar. This was one of the first things i wanted to buy but never got round to buying one. It does look and feel like a quality the part.

Photo2852.jpg

Photo2853.jpg

Photo2854.jpg

Photo2855.jpg

Photo2858.jpg

Photo2860.jpg

Genuine titanium Spoon gear knob. Probably one of my favourite mods to date. Spoon only made them for a very short period of time and it featured in spoons k20'd ek9. Its hollow titanium so it is unbelievably light at around 40 grams. It has a burnt look to it which is another feature that i like aswell. The stock type r gear knob is also titanium but it is very very heavy. All depends on personal preference but i never liked the throw of the stock ek9 gear knob so this one should have a better feel to it. To cut a long story short I ended up buying 2 because there was a mix up with thread sizes so one will be up for sale if anyone wants it.

SpoonGearknob.jpg

Photo1669-1.jpg

Photo2861.jpg

Photo2862.jpg

Photo2900.jpg

Photo2902.jpg

Also drove up to Arbroath to pick up a spoon b pipe as well (thanks to Cartney). Dont have any pics of it as its at my parents house. Cant wait to hear and feel the difference the spoon b pipe and decat make once fitted.

Still waiting for the Spoon horn button, momo steering wheel hub, bi xenon hid kit, nrg lock holder and skunk2 lower control arm bushes.

I need to work out where the money tree is that all the JDM boys have. Hopefully someone will send me one in the post when I pick up my EK9 lol

Charged Superleggera
lol no money tree here turkish just hard earned cash. To be honest with most of this stuff you never actually loose money on it so its almost like an investment. Well thats what i keep saying to myself anyway lol

Hats off to you mate, this will be an amazingly well set up EK9. Shudder to think what it's all cost though.

lol no money tree here turkish just hard earned cash. To be honest with most of this stuff you never actually loose money on it so its almost like an investment. Well thats what i keep saying to myself anyway lol

Thats fairly true, all the mods I bought for my DC5 I managed to sell on and not lose much money, even made a bit on some.

I must just be in the wrong line of work. Certainly don't have the kind of sums of money that people are blowing on mods since I've had a mortgage, lol

Charged Superleggera
cheers bjorn. Never really sat down and counted the cost so far but i think if i did then im gonna be in for a scare thats for sure lol. Still got a few things to do before im completely happy but considering i have only had it for around around 5 months ago, im happy with where it is at, at the moment.

When i sold my 172 replica, i found that the only money i lost was money that was spent at body shops and garages. I had no problem getting my money back for the parts. However im completely hands on with the ek9, which has saved me a fair bit of money and more importantly taught me alot aswell.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
you paid £75 for some wiper blades?

Car is epic, but you have to draw the line somewhere. You must be crazy paying that much for wiper blades.

For £75 i'd expect them to last the life of the car.