ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No Electrics!!!!!!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Driving home from work tonight giving it some beans and everything is fine when I stop at halfords to get some tooling. When I return to the car and try to start, nothing. Lights on the dash light up but the car doesn't even attempt to start. Headlights and the radio still work but nothing else.

The green flag recovery guy arrives and starts carrying out some checks. He plugged into the ecu outlet and says it's got no power coming from it.

Do you think my ecu is fooked or could it be a loose connection somewhere? If the ecu is fooked what's involved with getting a replacement?

Cheers for any help guys as I'm stumped and carless.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Nobody with any ideas on what this could be?

Just waiting on the rain to go off so that I can go and take a look.

IIRC when mine was doing this pish, when you try to turn it over it would just click, rest of electrics still worked though, replaced battery and that solved it.

Clio 182
Apologies I dont mean to be patronising but i presume the battery voltage has been checked? Try having a meter across it then attempting to crank it and see if there is any drop. Could poss be a UCH / immobiliser jobby if youve got the light blinking away like a bellend, try disconnecting the negative for a few minutes, reconnect it and then lock and unlock the car a couple of times, should here it beep then try a start?. Check your earthing straps to see if somethings come loose where you were kaining it possibly

Let us know how you get on

Cheers

Pete

Clio 182
Actually there was a trick that sorted mine when I was having UCH/Immobiliser issues that caused the car to light up as normal but just a click when you tried to crank was if you put the ignition on and remove the lower UCH fuse, you should here a relay click, put it back in then ignition off and try a start, that saved me a couple of times actually, I here that could be key related apparently

172 cup, Impreza P1
Yeah tried dosconnecting the battery and even with the recovery trucks jump started there was no life.

Where would I find the uch fuse? Worth a try.

There is no electrics working ie central locking, interior light, hazard lights, fans, etc.

Does this sound like immobiliser or something else?

Cheers for the suggestions guys, really appreciate the help.

BMW M135i
Check all the fuses/relays etc, sounding very weird if the fan won't run. Take it you mean interior heater fan?

GRitch

ClioSport Club Member
  Polo BlueGT
That happened to me, my Clio did the same, I tried bump starting it an jump starting it, what was basically need was a new battery and clear of all the faults and ran like a dream, French cars would be so much better without electrics!!

172 cup, Impreza P1
Fitted a new battery last year. All the fuses are ok but I have been have problems with some of the relays lately.

Yes it is the interior fans I mean.

Rains off now so going for a looksy.

Clio 182
hmm no if youve got no interior functions then it wont be the immobiliser, but you say you have external lights and dash lights?

There are a few UCH fuses in the fuse panel, youve probably found those by now, strange one this

172 cup, Impreza P1
Correction- the interior fans are working but when the lights are on none of the dash lights up. Checked all the fuses in the engine bay and they are all fine.

Think it's defo the ecu. How hard is it to swap one over?

Do you need to do anything in to get it to work.

172 cup, Impreza P1
Finally got the car to Renault last Friday to get this problem fixed. They came back to me today to say they have finally found the problem. They found a cable on the interior cabin that in front of the heater matrix that had been rubbing on something causing it to earth. This was blowing a 5amp fuse intermittently but once they found it they could make it do it at will.

Bottom line is it's been there for 4 days and is costing me £350. Electrics, pain in the arse!!

Toms_clio

ClioSport Club Member
  TRACK CAR BREAKING
I had this problem with my Saxo.
Was a earth cable that had come disconnected!

Renault Clio 02
my car interrior has no electrics at all, one of the relays was clicking before but now today after checking it. it has stopped. could one of the relays be my problem? the car wont even start up when my problem first started and electrics got worse from there?