ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

No more DSLR for me! New bad boy arrived

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
After waiting months and months, they finally got released. Presenting my new replacement to the 1D mkII. Sony NEX-5! Going to serve as a everyday body/combo and slowly move towards building up some nice Zeiss behind it.

So far, IQ has not been a let down at all! Nicely sharp overall and only seems to be a nit pick if you want to pixel peep so in that respect, very happy.

Spot metering, flexible AF points, thats me sorted!

Quick size comparison. NEX-5 with 18-55 kit lens attatched vs Canon EF 85mm 1.8
nd9p1483.jpg

Quick image for the day
dsc00019m.jpg

And a quick video trying out a bit of MF to see if there was any issues with barrel noise
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPX1Sm1LLiw
So far so good. Only gripe I have spotted, battery life seems a bit short. Maybe too much play time.

Yummy bokeh!! Well a bit odd but impressive for ISO800
4711070301_094f46e960_b.jpg

Nimbus 197
oooo nice! isn't that a bit of a downgrade though?

how do you find the user interface on the nex?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
To be honest, the image quality reminds me of my 5D. On paper it is a bit of a downgrade but the ability to now use a variety of Zeiss glass makes up for it. (MF only though BUT not the end of the world)

Whilst I found the 1D was great, it got too much especially for just a quick trip out and about.

Seriously though, when they become more widely available, I would defo recommend a DSLR user tries one out.

Now the interfece is where DSLR users might get annoyed, its simple so advanced settings usually mean going into different sections (technically only 2 sections you need). Once you get used to it, it is a really fluent system and somewhat do not mind it vs previous Canon bodies I have owned.

In my eyes, I don't mind what product it is as long as I can get the image quality and the depth that I want.

I am in the process of putting together a full user review so keep posted.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've been out of touch of the camera scene for a while, but am I right in thinking this new range of camera is suppose to have the image quality of an DSLR but the size of a regular digital camera by using a DSLR size sensor and cutting the bulk by not using mirrors? And the ability to change lenses like a DSLR of course.

Any downsides to this?

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
I've been out of touch of the camera scene for a while, but am I right in thinking this new range of camera is suppose to have the image quality of an DSLR but the size of a regular digital camera by using a DSLR size sensor and cutting the bulk by not using mirrors? And the ability to change lenses like a DSLR of course.

Any downsides to this?
Both DSLR and the "EVIL" systems use a shutter curtain but the DSLR has a mirror that slaps up out of the way. So it cuts down the size of it pretty well.

So far, the only downside is that the AF is not constant when using burst mode. Only downside that I can find.

Oil Burner
No viewfinder is the only real drawback as far as i know. So panning etc... is verging on impossible. Would be a really great 2nd/3rd camera.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
No viewfinder is the only real drawback as far as i know. So panning etc... is verging on impossible. Would be a really great 2nd/3rd camera.
Screen is good for all light conditions and an optical VF is available as an accessory so no biggie.

I know for defo you would want one there and then. :)

330Ci (Fail)Sport
Both DSLR and the "EVIL" systems use a shutter curtain but the DSLR has a mirror that slaps up out of the way. So it cuts down the size of it pretty well.

So far, the only downside is that the AF is not constant when using burst mode. Only downside that I can find.

I assume that'll be sorted out with time though.

I just had a quick read up about them and they seem very interesting, a nice addition to the market of cameras.

dk

911 GTS Cab
sonys new cameras are prtty impressive, i've just started using my hx5 instead of lugging my dlsr around and i'm bloody impressed with the features and IQ.

the 1080 video is also amazing on it, use it as a video camera too. can now see me using the dslr less and less with being able to get nearly as good shots (maybe not the dof but most other stuff) with the little one, much less to carry around and worry about to.

Cupra
It looks a bit like the old DSC F717's! I always wanted one of those but could only stretch to the DSC-V1.

I have just looked through the full size shots on your photosteam and they are surprisingly good. It would be interesting to see some direct comparison shots between the 1D and this if you still have it.

Zeiss glass seems to be a bit of a fad at the minute. Loads of people over on POTN seem to be adapting it too.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
It looks a bit like the old DSC F717's! I always wanted one of those but could only stretch to the DSC-V1.

I have just looked through the full size shots on your photosteam and they are surprisingly good. It would be interesting to see some direct comparison shots between the 1D and this if you still have it.

Zeiss glass seems to be a bit of a fad at the minute. Loads of people over on POTN seem to be adapting it too.

The downside is that it just went yesterday but there should be a POTN meet soon so we could give it a side by side test. I want to put it against a 5D mkI more than anything.

The full res are pretty damn good but I want to get an Alpha lens or two on it once the adaptor is avail THEN compare since the pre-production photos blew me away.

Not too sure what the big fuss is especially since Canon have had their L range for years. I suppose the next thing to do is try it out.

Ill post up more as I go through it all.

?
This camera looks like what I've been looking for in a long time (bar the canon g3/g5 series etc)... a cross between compact/slr.

Will be looking for a camera next year... Will definately consider this or its upgrade

Octy VRS
How are you finding it? Was looking at the NEX-3 as an upgrade from my compact and as far as I can find out the only difference is the casing and it only does 720p. I'm no photographer but would like to get some half decent shots of holidays, my kids etc. I can get them cheap so thought I may take the plunge instead of getting a bridge camera.

Renault Clio 1.5 DCi
Oska, it is a great tool. That is the only difference between the NEX3 and 5. Everything else is identical so image quality should be exactly the same. :) Best variation in any range I have seen so far.

To be fair, this might be right up your street then. Intelligent auto looks at your scene then decides on the best mode (nothing new since most cameras have it) but it works surprisingly well.

In nearly every mode, one of the "soft keys" takes you directly to "Shooting tips" so if you want to learn how to get the best out of it, it tells you and it only relates to what you are taking photos of.

It makes more sense when you see it in action. Since it has all the additional DSLR modes, they are there and ready when you need em.

If you want to see samples and more photos, have a peek on my Flickr.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/31584547@N05/sets/72157624283828702/

Octy VRS
Cheers for the write up, sounds ideal. Great shots, really crisp. Love the BMW interior pic for some reason.