ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup likes a challenge, right?

clio 182
Looking forward to getting this gathered up next weekend mate.

Looks absolutely bob on 👌🏻 let's hope it makes the numbers to warrant all the bloody headaches it's caused while its been with you.

Gearbox next though 🤣

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Just finishing off a few little bits in preparation for collection this weekend.

I think I mentioned the inlet manifold earlier, so this has been given some therapy.

Before:
B511635D-E1C9-46A1-BD49-EF5E2E2144AF.jpeg
7ECA4ED2-C2C5-4F15-A9FE-E129EB457DD2.jpeg

And after:
9D7B298A-E543-4705-923F-35FC317B9039.jpeg
962EBCEF-C787-4A40-BE77-4DCE80E8AC37.jpeg
2AF5DBA8-8E3C-4D12-A09F-5C850E53D085.jpeg
765DC360-03E0-45EF-8BB2-87E3F263876C.jpeg

Little bit of finishing off on that and she’s ready to rock n roll.

😎

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
As promised! Get yourselves a brew, sit down and strap in.

So remember the custom cams? Yeah me too. They were made with all the vvt drillings and threads for the bolt. If you don’t know this, the thread for the dephaser pulley bolt is bigger than the exhaust cam stud. So we had a custom made bolt/stud to overcome this minor issue. View attachment 1504055 Made from some very strong material, so no chance of a failure. Thank f**k that’s the last of the dramas out of the way..........wrong!!!!

Next up we have a full on baguette eating, onion stinking t**t of a design. Only an idiot could’ve come up with this. View attachment 1504056 Good luck getting that f**king bolt in past the oil pick up pipe!! Seriously? I mean f**king come on! As you can see in the pic, there is a bolt in there and I did get it tightened up. I had to modify the pipe to allow access, and put the bolt in before the pipe was fitted. Official line - yeah we just left that bolt out mate 👍🏻
Well f**k off I don’t do half arsed.

Next up is the front crank oil seal. Remember lads, this is a complete kit that you bolt on and away you go. Yeah ok dickhead. So you need a different crank seal as the standard seal is way to small. You also need a bigger OD spacer that sits on the end of the crank for the seal to run on. This spacer does away with the oil pump chain drive sprocket as you don’t need it for dry sump. View attachment 1504057 Oh yeah let’s not forget that the oil pump didn’t have an OPRV fitted either, so I could piss more pressure than that would ever deliver! The least said about that little adventure though, the better. It’s now back here with me and has to be removed and refitted for the crank locking pin. Lol!

Moving swiftly on to another hilarious picture. View attachment 1504058View attachment 1504059 Plan on fitting a pipe to that do ya pal? Well you’ll have to have something custom made if you do. Small fry in the grand scheme of things though.

And for the final instalment of ‘f**k off’ we have this: View attachment 1504060View attachment 1504062

Can you see what’s wrong here? This was just a couple of weeks ago when we thought there would be no more dramas to stop progress..........oh how wrong I was.

So the cams as previously stated are a custom grind to suit the engine spec. They’ve been done from billets. And they made them with the full vvt drillings and also the additional length for the dephaser. The exhaust cam had a different thread in to the stud for the pulley as well, so custom stud made and fitted.
The cams were sent away for the inlet to be machined to suit the correct length and allow me to fit the belt, and before they went away, I modified the inlet cam so as it wouldn’t seize up in the cylinder head from no oil feed.

So the cams are now back with me and this brings the whole build up to date. I know I like a challenge, but this has been so f**king frustrating at times. There’s definitely been a lack of motivation caused by the issues too. Nothing worse than gearing up to get stuck in, only to be brought to a halt within 20 minutes of starting.

Next job is to start dialling the cams in finally and getting this engine making tracks in the right direction. And that’s out of my garage, into the car and onto the rollers!

We are entering another lockdown, so that’s when I made loads of progress the first time around. This one will be slightly different for me, but progress will be made.

More. To. Come. 😎
Who the hell designs some of this crap?

Fewer things trigger me quicker than blatantly s**t design. I get that in some circumstances, space, time and options are limited. But when it's obvious mongoloid f**k-wittery that has led to the Hulk Smash scenario right in front of me - rage induces!

As you say, gearing up to deal with the next set of jobs, only to come to a grinding halt through no fault of your own? ARGH!!! :p

Brigsy

ClioSport Club Member
  T.Turbo
Great build. First time ive seen a set of cams dialled in with a dti on a f4r, cut down cam cover is a great idea to save buying the cat cams setup.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Who the hell designs some of this crap?

Fewer things trigger me quicker than blatantly s**t design. I get that in some circumstances, space, time and options are limited. But when it's obvious mongoloid f**k-wittery that has led to the Hulk Smash scenario right in front of me - rage induces!

As you say, gearing up to deal with the next set of jobs, only to come to a grinding halt through no fault of your own? ARGH!!! :p
Honestly mate, I’d love to know who designs these things. That way I could shake them warmly by the throat.

There’s been some extremely testing parts of this build mate, I’m not going to deny. But despite those moments, I’m very pleased with the outcome.
Great build. First time ive seen a set of cams dialled in with a dti on a f4r, cut down cam cover is a great idea to save buying the cat cams setup.
Cheers mate. Dialling them in on hydraulics is nigh on impossible as the tappet starts to compress and gives inconsistent results. There’s also a ‘dead’ spot where the cam dwells, so getting the cam in the correct position can be time consuming.

Interestingly there’s only a few degrees of adjustment before the valves make contact with the pistons too, so that gives an indication of just how wild these cams are. There’s also a good amount of overlap, so she be lumpy. 😂 I won’t be going into specific figures here though for obvious reasons.

Cut up cam cover because northern and tight mate lol! I’m a foreigner down here buddy, but lost none of my northerness.

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Nice work. Do you find porting out to the gasket line the most effective?

I’ve never seen any flow bench testing for the configurations in the clio. I imagine there hasn’t been too much testing from outside of proper racing.

I know some port match the standard inlets but seems to be one of these reflex mods that people do because they have been told it works.

I’m sure there is a lot to be gained doing ITBs and porting the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
TBH anything over 200bhp from a normally aspirated 2l is doing very well. I find it impressive that some achieve close to that on regular inlet manifolds considering an S54 is highly developed, on throttle bodies with room for a nice plenum and circa 110bhp/l from the factory. If you do indeed do over 250 brake as you hope I think it would be a fantastic achievement.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
Just read this entire thread properly for the first time..... So much work and dedication.... Should of boosted it :p

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Please do. 👍👍
No worries 👍🏻
Nice work. Do you find porting out to the gasket line the most effective?

I’ve never seen any flow bench testing for the configurations in the clio. I imagine there hasn’t been too much testing from outside of proper racing.

I know some port match the standard inlets but seems to be one of these reflex mods that people do because they have been told it works.

I’m sure there is a lot to be gained doing ITBs and porting the head.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I usually don’t go right up to the line mate. That allows space for when you move to the final finishing grades.

Port matching will always give gains, but in the n/a application they’re always minimal. Once you start improving the breathing with itbs, it almost becomes essential really to get the most from them.

This cylinder head has seen substantial amounts of work though.
TBH anything over 200bhp from a normally aspirated 2l is doing very well. I find it impressive that some achieve close to that on regular inlet manifolds considering an S54 is highly developed, on throttle bodies with room for a nice plenum and circa 110bhp/l from the factory. If you do indeed do over 250 brake as you hope I think it would be a fantastic achievement.
Cheers mate. As I’ve said previously, the spec is there, the cams are wild enough and the bodies big enough, so this should reap the rewards.
Just read this entire thread properly for the first time..... So much work and dedication.... Should of boosted it :p
Lol you must’ve been fuckin bored! 😂😂 Boost is unfortunately banned in the series this motor will enter too. Guaranteed 250+ though with it lol

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I presumed it was series restricted :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness though outstanding work and the attention to detail and correcting all the little niggles is the mark of a true pro. Nice one

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
I presumed it was series restricted :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness though outstanding work and the attention to detail and correcting all the little niggles is the mark of a true pro. Nice one
Well very kind words indeed mate, and not really sure what I can say I’m response to that, so I’ll just say thank you 👍🏻

I guess if everything was easy, life would be so f**king boring! 😂 I’ve always been the same though mate. Never let anything beat me and just rise up to the challenge.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
In other news:

The engine was collected this morning and allowed myself, @Tom Johnson and his dad to have a good catchup on everything engine/life related. It’s now back where it should’ve been 4/5 years ago.....

So the next step is a bit of fabrication work for the installation into the race car. We will be keeping this thread updated, and it may well be moved over into the projects section. I’ll be sorting the gripper dog box too, so I’ll fire a few pictures of the progress of that too. 👍🏻

clio 182
Got to say a big thanks to Mark for getting all this put together. I know it was a b**ch and at times I think we both felt like throwing it in the skip. Was good to have a catch up yesterday mate and give you some space back in your garage.
Didn't get chance to do anything to it yesterday as the Mrs had arranged an afternoon of nonsense without speaking to me first so today me and the old man loosely bolting parts on to see how she looks.
Putting the cart before the horse really as all will come off again but after nearly 6 years since I first started buying parts we were itching to see it together.

Me or Mark will keep this thread updated with progress pics for anyone thats interested

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Whats the plan for peak RPM, the rod ratio is a bit limiting in the F4R?

clio 182
Whats the plan for peak RPM, the rod ratio is a bit limiting in the F4R?

Long rods and short pistons to alter the rod ratio.
The original engine builder that spec'd the cams always said he'd spec'd them so it doesn't need to rev its nuts off to make power.

soooo dissapointed there are NO variable length trumpets on there.......;)

Still plans to get them on there at some point, will be making provisions in the loom for the actuator but want to get it up and running first

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
Long rods and short pistons to alter the rod ratio.
The original engine builder that spec'd the cams always said he'd spec'd them so it doesn't need to rev its nuts off to make power.

Still plans to get them on there at some point, will be making provisions in the loom for the actuator but want to get it up and running first
Yeah it won't need much rpm to do 250bhp.

It should happily give 200lb/ft, So you'll only need 6800ish revs.

On my duratec we ended up needing 8800 rpm to get the magic 300bhp n/a. Peak torque was 203lb/ft but had dropped off to 180ish by over 8500.

clio 182
Not really much to update on as yet with being busy with roll cages and the b****cks that is Christmas

I have manage to source a new water pump pipe that should work with the dry sump kit though off a Renault Kangoo. The mount is no good so will have to make a clamp bracket to secure it but other then that it looks good.

20201224_134812.jpg

20201224_134806.jpg

Also roughly mounted the throttle body actuator today just to check its a feasible plan, utilising an Insignia Swirl Flap Actuator

Attachments

• 20201224_134812.jpg
    20201224_134812.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 60