ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

NorthloopCup likes a challenge, right?

clio 182
Little bit more done yesterday, flywheel ARP bolts torqued up, cam cover bolts swapped out for some pretty stainless ones and trimmed down a couple of the trumpets

20201231_165359.jpg

20201231_165329.jpg

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
Could someone not come up with an inlet for throttle bodies that doubles back over like the stock inlet?

Could run the injectors close to the head and have U shape runners coming up n over and a plenum? AFAIK that’s much better for torque and also wouldn’t have the large straight inlets which need the front panel cutting and are still not long enough?

David Stuart

ClioSport Club Member
Could someone not come up with an inlet for throttle bodies that doubles back over like the stock inlet?

Could run the injectors close to the head and have U shape runners coming up n over and a plenum? AFAIK that’s much better for torque and also wouldn’t have the large straight inlets which need the front panel cutting and are still not long enough?

Better for torque but not peak BHP.

Road car. Torque.

Race car BHP.

Throttle bodies are better flat out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator

There’s lots of things that need to be factored in as well mate. There’s a transition of around 7% (iirc) taper from bellmouth to inlet port/valve head, so trying to accommodate that in a longer runner would mean 4 bellmouths that would be impossible to package.
Also the ideal inlet tract length is around 350mm, so not as big as you may have thought.

clio 182
Update time,
Progress has been slow as of late as been flat out building cages but between jobs today so thought we'd have a go at moving things along.

Thought I'd have a little spending spree last week but some 700+ quid later it turned out to be not so little 😬

Decided to go for the hydraulic clutch conversion kit from PMS along with the 52mm release bearing and sleeve needed for the Helix clutch, spigot bearing for the input shaft, new thermostat and 197 plugs. Also got the Laminova oil cooler for Think Automotive.

Any ways today we got some more parts bolted on and managed to get it dropped into the car using a set of knackered gearbox cases to mock up as still waiting for Mark to pull his finger out with the dog box 🤪🤪

Few pictures:

20210213_135931.jpg

Timing tool knocked up, bit agricultural but will do the job.

20210213_142457.jpg

Spigot bearing fitted

20210213_181702.jpg

Boss welded to sandwich plate for temp sensor

20210213_181302.jpg

20210213_181321.jpg

The most expensive oil cooler I've ever bought

20210213_181421.jpg

20210213_181444.jpg

20210213_181429.jpg

20210213_181511.jpg

20210213_181601.jpg

Next headache is there F all room between the trumpets and and bonnet so looks like I'll have to trim the inner skin off and look into getting a set of angled trumpets to allow an airbox to be fitted.

Hopefully now the engine is in for mock up it will give me some motivation to come doing a bit.

Bankrupt_drunk

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172
Just read the whole thread. What an utterly fantastic build. Good work!
And I'd like to point out that designing stuff where you can't access fastners is not restricted to automotive industry. Where i work we once launched a printer where the head conduit could only be connected by one specific person on the assembly line as she was the only one with small enough hands to access the fittings.

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Just read the whole thread. What an utterly fantastic build. Good work!
And I'd like to point out that designing stuff where you can't access fastners is not restricted to automotive industry. Where i work we once launched a printer where the head conduit could only be connected by one specific person on the assembly line as she was the only one with small enough hands to access the fittings.
IMG_20210217_125825.jpg

clio 182
Did a bit of ringing around on Monday as I'd found some angled spacers on the Jenvey website, unfortunately they only off a parallel bore and as the current 25mm spacers are tapered down from the 50mm bodies to the inlet manifold they couldn't offer anything that would do the job.

So after a bit design time and 4 hours of printing today a test piece was ready.

20210218_142442.jpg

20210218_142453.jpg

20210218_143421.jpg

20210218_143450.jpg

20210218_143505.jpg

17° angle looks like it will work well.
Just need to get a set cnc machined up now.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Did a bit of ringing around on Monday as I'd found some angled spacers on the Jenvey website, unfortunately they only off a parallel bore and as the current 25mm spacers are tapered down from the 50mm bodies to the inlet manifold they couldn't offer anything that would do the job.

So after a bit design time and 4 hours of printing today a test piece was ready.

View attachment 1522301
View attachment 1522304

View attachment 1522316

View attachment 1522317

View attachment 1522318

As I said on the phone mate, looks fuckin epic!

RuskiWeldFab

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 172, RS4 B7
freaking awsome!!!! i need 3d printer in my life! also looks like its better for injectors as well!! literally straight in to the chamber!

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

View attachment 1522301
View attachment 1522304

View attachment 1522316

View attachment 1522317

View attachment 1522318

Such a great invention 3D printers - just a shame that they are still a bit slow for the majority of us.

RSRowe

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 197
The only reason I ask, is quite a lot of the filaments are not resistant to chemicals.
Obviously fine if you’re just using for mock up

I just thought it was worth mentioning.

Nafoff

ClioSport Club Member
It’s coming mate. Rest assured 😎

Oh and for those of you looking at this - consider the volume of the airbox. Then look at the Tessa or rs2 manifold. Significantly less volume

Thats a right beast of an airbox.

An airbox is the plan but the one I'm designing isn't that wide.

Its all about the airbox ;)
I guess this is somewhere inbetween the Tessa/rs2 and the one shown above

IMG_9997.JPG

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
I've enquired and its 750 euro for one of these if anyone is interested 🤪

Group buy?? 🤔
306 maxi is the common one in France on the clios but for some reason they all run small trumpets

They don’t run them long like yours and mine.
Must just be for clearance once the air box is on

clio 182
306 maxi is the common one in France on the clios but for some reason they all run small trumpets

They don’t run them long like yours and mine.
Must just be for clearance once the air box is on

Do you not think that would be deep enough to fit the trumpets in then?

He didn't send any dimensions over unfortunately

Audi rs3/Clio 172cup
I’ve spoke to the guy who builds that airbox and he said I’d need shorter trumpets.
You’ll be able to get an air box on it and 306 is probably best but would need to modify the backing plate I reckon to bring the airbox forward over the trumpets.

1F9064AD-0960-4125-8D9E-06FAA998D64B.jpeg
24A3EAE2-1BF0-49DB-95E3-5C1047D54630.jpeg

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Jesus thats an airbox and a half! Imagine how many small animals, local wildlife and children under the age of 4 you'd have to rescue from it!😂
It’s all about the plenum volume mate. You have to remember that when you crack the throttle open, all the air in that airbox will be consumed within an instant. If there’s not enough there to feed the motor you lose response until it has the air it needs. Also, you need to allow space for the air to flow around and over the trumpets for maximum performance. 👍🏻

clio 182
Time for a bit of an update then.

Tweaked the design for the angled spacers and put them out for quotes to be cnc'd

Wasn't really sure what to expect with the bore having a sweep and a taper but quotes came back ranging from £224 each 😬😬 to £98 each 😬 (still a bit of a sting)

Anyways they turned up this week and has to be said they're worth it 👌🏻

20210326_172715.jpg
20210326_172744.jpg
20210328_152436.jpg
20210328_152446.jpg
20210328_152505.jpg
20210328_152548.jpg
20210328_152628.jpg

Much better angle and room around the the trumpets for the airbox 👌🏻