ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OLD Autocar Review of the 182 Cup

Tav

Clio 197
Eighty-five per cent of 172 Cup buyers opted to add air-con to their cars

So 85% of 172 Cups aren't the full 80kg lighter? ...and 85% of Cup drivers aren't as race spec. as they like to make out lol!

geometry tweaks have improved the steering feel to an acceptable level

So many people overlook the added castor angle, it's one of the key reasons I love the Cup, steering is great for a hatch!

Nevertheless, were you to add the suspension and spoiler packs (subtle but very effective and both standard on the Cup) to the standard 182, the price difference between the two would grow to a not insubstantial £1295. Save money and go faster, then.

£1295 smackers...that's a lot of petrol!

172 Cup
I am one of the hardcore 15% :cool:

Although I didn't buy the car new, so I am not sure what I would have done with the opion hmmmmm.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
^^^ I read that 85% bit, thats seems a bit much surely? I looked at loads before i got mine and only one had A/C (it was silver and also had traction and possibly abs as extras which defeats the object a little)

Also was a 172 Cup really a homologation special?

I aint sure bout this, but i like to tell people it is cos it sounds better!! :approve:

172 Cup
^^^ I read that 85% bit, thats seems a bit much surely? I looked at loads before i got mine and only one had A/C (it was silver and also had traction and possibly abs as extras which defeats the object a little)

I aint sure bout this, but i like to tell people it is cos it sounds better!! :approve:

Yes from now on U will claim this :star:

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
The 6 sec to 60 seems a bit nuts!! Shaving almost a second off what renault say?

Reading the review i kinda feel like he drove it for 2 mins, scared himself, got out, sat down with a cuppa and then copy and pasted from the launch pack he was given by renault. Edited it a bit then done!!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
So many people overlook the added castor angle, it's one of the key reasons I love the Cup, steering is great for a hatch!

What added castor angle?

182 Cup Suspension is identical to the 182 Suspension when the cup pack is fitted.
Unless you know something i don't?

Tav

Clio 197
The changes to the 2004 Clio run a lot deeper than the 182 title suggests...

The 182's chassis is similarly more extensively changed than you'd expect. Its wheelbase is slightly longer than the 172's and it also has a wider track. The wheelbase change has come about because of increased castor angle, which is now the same as the Clio Cup racecar's.

See above ^^^

This obviously applies to the regular 182 as well but it's one of the reasons I think the chassis is superior to the 172 ph1/ph2. Bundle it with the Cup pack and it's noticeably sharper...despite what some people say...

a drivin a ph1 and a 182 cup and there's nae differnz 'ken!

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Right, sorry sounded like you were suggesting the 182 cup had a specific suspension set-up.

Its a lower spec 182 with the cup pack fitted as standard.

Tav

Clio 197
I guess it reads like that, but you know what I mean now :eek:. Combination of improvements on the standard 182 + the cup packs + the Exalto's make it stand out over previous models for me.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
They all have their own merits.

I dislike the 182 cup, don't see the point.

172 Cup
Wow didn't know the 182 had a longer wheel base, you learn something new everyday on here!

Is it right though, that the 172 Cup has the widest track?

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Wow didn't know the 182 had a longer wheel base, you learn something new everyday on here!

Is it right though, that the 172 Cup has the widest track?

Not sure, the wider track is only achieved by wheel offset, its not new parts (Aside from the wheels)