ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

old clio wont go above 70mph unless down hill

clio 1.4RT
hi i have an old 98 reg 1.4rt clio mk1, it seems to be having a problem accelerating above 70mph unless im going down hill.... the power is good whilst going through the gearsbut as im approching 60 it starts to struggle. it doesnt stutter or anything like that it just doesnt go any faster no matter how much i press the go peddle.

could it be ignition related?????

cheers

p.s compression in all cylinders are good.

clio 1.4RT
ive had it 1 yr and although not done a full service i did the plugs, air filter roter arm and dizzy cap about 6 months ago. not done oil yet.

only want to go over 70 ish whilst on motorway

also car seems to struggle up hill on motorway dropping down to 50/60 ish and wont speed up till on flat ground again.

clio 1.4RT
tyre pressures are good new tyres. front breaks were done a yr ago and both rear wheel bearings are new....... and front wheels turn easy when jacked up.

clio 1.4RT
could it be my coil??????

or leads????

surly an oil change is on the cards but this carnt rearly be holding it back at 70pmh?

MERCEDES CLS AMG
cats prob knackered and blocking ex gases - common on the E7J engine. Also check airfilter and airfilter duct pipes - if theres a blockage or a silly filter on there it will struggle breathing.

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Try an emissions test or just unbolt it ( secure the rest of the ex system ) and take it down the motorway.

Also rev the engine with the bonnet up and get somebody to check the engine as your revving - keep your eyes on the airfilter inlet pipe. As they get old they contract under acceleration and block the feed to the carb / s p injector. If under any doubt remove the filter entirely

These are just suggestions - it maybe something different

clio 1.4RT
well i carnt see any movment in the air inlet pipe and also removed the airfitler but still no joy.
im still begging what i think is decent back pressure so im not sure if the cat is blocked.
could it be a coil breakdown?

Black 197
I had the same thing years ago, As Matt says it was down to my CAT, It had started to breakdown inside and so was blocking the exhaust gases from leaving the engine, I left it for a couple of months until one day on the A21 it decided to completely break up and block my exhaust, Had to get towed home as car had no power... I used a hammer lol to smash the CAT and could hear it rattling but it gave me enough to get to a garage where i replaced the CAT.. Hope you get it sorted mate

clio 1.4RT
well i took out the air filter totally out and ran it up the motorway...... this seemed to help a bit but not that much. what else can i do to get the top end power back?