ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OMP Airbag Steering Boss Kit

I've just taken delivery of an OMP airbag boss kit.

In the box there are a couple of leads, a black wire with what looks like a speaker connector on the end and two red leads attached to a fuse with the number 2 on it. Are these leads both for the horn or is one to remove the airbag warning light?

Any help would be appreciated as there were no instructions with the kit.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Got any pics? might jog my memory lol. Fitted a momo kit in the summer. iirc, the square speaker type connector is the horn, does the fused wire have any resistors inline or under any sheathing?

RS Clio 200
there are wires for the horn, and also wires to act as a resistor for the steering airbag i think.

Its the same one i got!

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Thats the air bag then, but if was anything like the momo kit, you need two. Iirc, you will need x2 4 ohm reistors from maplins etc, and another inline fuse. There are two connections for the airbag.

RS Clio 200
there are wires for the horn, and also wires to act as a resistor for the steering airbag i think.

Its the same one i got!

So how does it all work then, were do the wires go?

i didnt bother myself as the lights are on from the seats anyway.

i just connected the horn, which worked, and then caught fire as you saw at westerham LOL

^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Cheers guys.

It's a bit of a pain that it only comes with one resitor when the job needs two. Does the Momo kit come with two?

From the link above;
Drivers airbag between 1.8 to 6.2 Ohms. This runs through the lines 1 and 2 of the airbag/pretensioners computers.

There are two resisters you need. The airbags system works on a high and low pressure system so you need one resister for each line. If you remove the airbag you'll find 4 wires. One pair go from the orange connector to lines 6 and 7 on the cruise control/airbag connector. They are orange and grey in colour. They go to a black connector and exist the connector on the same colour lines. You can put the resister before or after the connector block though between the wires. These wires go into connections into the airbag computer in lines 4 and 29 (if you want to strip the center console off to save the weight/loose wires).
The other pair of wires go from the green connector to lines 9 (beige) and 10 (salmon) on the cruise control/airbag connector (Black in colour) then out of the connector on the same colour lines. These wires go into connections into the airbag computer in lines 5 and 10 (if you want to strip the center console off to save the weight/loose wires).

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Walk in there and ask for two 4 ohm resistors. They will then say thats 25p please ;). Anything between 1.8 and 6 will be fine, so 4 is in the middle.

Found some pics from when i did mine.. You will have something like this yes?

Image050.jpg

^you need to either make another, or just make two form scratch using the 4 ohm resistors.

Image049.jpg

They then need to be connected across the two pins on each connector (green and orange) You can just short the resistor between the pins, but using the fuse(s) will be safer.

Last edited:
to you lads that have done / doing this.

Behind the original wheel on mine there is a wheel angle sensor to do with ABS and traction, i fitted a momo one last year but had to remove this as the hub kit didnt fit it.

How have you lads managed with this, especially gt_gaz and 7mat.???

My replacment steering wheel is on order and will be with me next week (fingers crossed), I will take some pics etc when fitting and post back.

RS Clio 200

Behind the original wheel on mine there is a wheel angle sensor to do with ABS and traction, i fitted a momo one last year but had to remove this as the hub kit didnt fit it.

u might find its nothing to do with that mate.... if you mean the 2 metal prongs which run round the ring, then they are connection for the horn. so causes no problems with ABS or ESP.

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
Remember to disconnect the battery, and leave a good half hour before you start ;)

u might find its nothing to do with that mate.... if you mean the 2 metal prongs which run round the ring, then they are connection for the horn. so causes no problems with ABS or ESP.

no, on the back of the OEM wheel there are 2 metal things that sit in the plastic ring to tell the ECU which way the wheels are pointing, this is for the ABS and traction. I had this problem last year, i removed it but all the lights came on.

If you remove this sensor what happens with the ABS and traction? Does it not work. Someone must know.

Cups wont have this problem

MCG

Vauxhall Astra VXR
I just fitted a momo wheel and the momo boss kit only came with 1 airbag connector, I need another one as it requires too as the airbag light is still on, does anyone know where to get one from?

RS Clio 200

no, on the back of the OEM wheel there are 2 metal things that sit in the plastic ring to tell the ECU which way the wheels are pointing, this is for the ABS and traction. I had this problem last year, i removed it but all the lights came on.

If you remove this sensor what happens with the ABS and traction? Does it not work. Someone must know.

Cups wont have this problem

i took mine out and have had no lights come on

well on mine the ABS and traction came on. I kept thinking about whether the sensor remembers the last way they were pointing or something and adjust the traction wrongly.

Anyway, would someone with CLIP be able to turn that sensor off, or in the worst case the ABS and traction altogether reducing it towards the poverty spec cup model. ;)

Turbo Beige
No you shouldn't. If you check the orientation of the wires that come out of the console they should be at the top of the boss when you connect it up and put the new wheel on, should help with 'zeroing' the sensor.

RS Clio 200
ive removed that ring, and have not lost abs and has not been effected in anyway.. i dont have ESP on my 02 plte though so cant comment on how it affects that.

I've not lost ABS with my aftermarket steering wheel, also managed in the end to get the airbag lights to stay off using some 16p resistors from Maplins. All I've lost is cruise control which for me is not a problem as I never used it.

dashinserts3.jpg

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Good job Mat, I've already lost Cruise Control when I changed my ECU so no problem there. Was the wiring easy enough on the wheel? Fairly competent with electronics, did it at A-level.

Good job Mat, I've already lost Cruise Control when I changed my ECU so no problem there. Was the wiring easy enough on the wheel? Fairly competent with electronics, did it at A-level.

Yeah its a piece of cake really, just make sure you get the correct resistors as I asked for 4.7ohms and was given 470,000 ohms at first!

This pic show the original wheel still on with the airbag removed. Just plug the two resistors into each connector.

DSCF2415.jpg

182, SRT8, RS4, GT-R
Ah good o, don't suppose you've got a full guide have you? I imagine disconnecting battery is step uno? I dont want the airbag exploding in my face, lol.

Ah good o, don't suppose you've got a full guide have you? I imagine disconnecting battery is step uno? I dont want the airbag exploding in my face, lol.

Leave the battery disconnected for a good 20 mins before starting work.

Pink & Blue 182, JDM DC2
lol ^ :D Come on Matt, full guide required :D I'll do one at the weekend for other bits ;)