ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

One Clio to Rule them All...

Status
Not open for further replies.
i wonder how well the newer cars would do if they didnt have all the electrickery s**t on, abs/esp/tc etc etc etc. i think itd be a very diff story then. drivers cars shouldnt have all that crap on anyway....

its scary what modding and or driving the same car in the same range (only be it older) does too...

for example before i did anything to the meg it was wallowy and floaty then into the cup/f1/R26 and it was so firm and taught, but the fun wasnt there as much... and its a simple suspension change that makes all the differance

i felt it too when i was in a 172 and then into a 200. theres so much help these days and it dulls the fun and excitement, but not the 197/200, as im sure you'd agree. for a modern car they are brilliant

disclaimer: (but yes they are no williams) ;)

Guys theres a thread about this sort of stuff by the admin so just pm eachother if you wanna argue cos no one cares whos willy is bigger.

williams and trophy
yes for a modern car they are good. id rather have the meg than the newer clios tho in all honesty.

but still.they take away th edriver involvement with all the 'aids'......and thats bad aids btw ;)

williams and trophy
yes. im not denying that. but how much of how it drives is down to the 'aids' ??

like th er26 round spa, the guy from reno was shitting it cos i was actually trying to get it sideways without all the 'aids' spoiling the fun.

'92 172, Lotus Elise
And this quote sums up why so many people can not see the point of the ranking.

I wasn't trying to say mine is a Williams (or that a valver should necessarily be ranked)

more that i've taken some of the best bits from the Williams that made it the great car it is and fitted them to mine! :)

williams and trophy
thats just it tho....the valver DOES deserve to be there, as do many other cars. the lotus sunbeam is a massive omittance imho.

they both DESERVE to be there, nearly as much as the williams deserves to be top of the pile ;)

SC Ph1 172 and M140i
I wasn't trying to say mine is a Williams (or that a valver should necessarily be ranked)

more that i've taken some of the best bits from the Williams that made it the great car it is and fitted them to mine! :)

Ignore Stromba, I knew you meant you had a little bit of a Willy:D

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
The problem with some of the older cars makes subjective testing very difficult. As you can never compare like with like.

However, I've owned a few Clio's now, more than most I guess and to drive the Trophy is the best. However, the Williams does have some magic in its appearance and for a small cheap car has a real sense of occassion which is why it's always there or thereabouts. If it was soley about one thing or another, alot of the cars wouldn't be there so it's nice to see it ranked on more than just ability but looks and desireability to.

Clio Williams & 182
I think you need drivers aids if you look at the weight of some of these cars nowadays. I was reading EVO the other day, all about the new Twingo Cup, I almost fell off the toilet seat when they said it was the new 'featherweight' superhatch at something like 1040 Kg.

I mean, huh? That's a fat lard-arsed hatch imho AND it's got less power than a Williams made 17 years ago lol! No wonder we overhauled every single one of them on my last track day. Not to mention the fact I can get the tail out in the Williams without some interfering gimmick 'special needs' aid stopping me, and that goes for all the current normal cars, even the R26R which annoyed me as I felt I was being chauffeured in it, not driving it. Sure, it's fast, but a child of two could make it go fast given big enough shoes and extra padded nappies.

120d M Sport
Lists like these are subjective so they're always going to cause an extent of disagreement. It's impossible to please everyone

williams and trophy
at the end of the day, they arent trying to please anyone....just using their experience as professionals to give a factual result.

and they have it bang on.

GTD, Lupo
According to gally i am (all the spazos on here read louism as louise gall being one of them).

Why do ya want a piece of me?

Im hurt louise :p

its got to be a fix with the 200, renault must have paid them to stick them in third cos its ugly and slow.

;)

Gorms

White clique
There is clearly an editing error or printing error - the 197 should clearly be at the top :rasp:

Its OK, mistakes happen.

ITB'd MK1
mk4 golf?

Really?

and better tham a mk1 golf?

LOL

Lack of the 106 GTI makes that list a joke, it IS better than the saxo (interior, appearance and perfection), and was THE best hatch made in it's time.

williams and trophy
There is clearly an editing error or printing error - the 197 should clearly be at the top :rasp:

Its OK, mistakes happen.

197....whats it done??

williams is quicker, better looking, comfier, better to drive......i could go on. ;)

Im hurt louise :p

its got to be a fix with the 200, renault must have paid them to stick them in third cos its ugly and slow.

;)

Gorms

LOL about first bit, sorry spazo

Secondly, the looks of the 200 is subjective and i personally love the front but thats off topic. I also fail to see how it is slow (but i think you are being a bit of a piss take) when its a real achievment to get 200bhp (or 197 really) out of a NA engine. Clios have never been about straight line speed, if you want that by an astra VXR and come off the road :p.

I dont know why there is so much hype about the 200, i bought mine before there was so much hype based on driving the 197 as it wasnt out yet.
I would like to know why the 197 wasnt recieved in the same way. Someone on here made a good point that its cos the cooper s was out at the same time as the 197 and theres been nothing for the 200 to compete with which i think is a valid point.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Lack of the 106 GTI makes that list a joke, it IS better than the saxo (interior, appearance and perfection), and was THE best hatch made in it's time.
What this guy said.

Older cars are mostly more involving to drive, the list is a joke.

The other cars in there show how much of a joke it is.

Hyundai i40
Im sure if this was in Evo mag the list would be totally different

the people that read auto express or what ever it was it is a different audience to who reads Evo. this is just my opinion

williams and trophy

thats older than the back end of no. 0002....id say the front end....but thats not so old

almost as old as this

chloe.jpg

Last edited:
  williams and trophy
Im sure if this was in Evo mag the list would be totally different

the people that read auto express or what ever it was it is a different audience to who reads Evo. this is just my opinion

yeah possibly. but the winner would be the same ;)

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
mk4 golf?

Really?

and better tham a mk1 golf?

LOL

???

Ive owned both the Saxo and 106.

They are the exact same drive. Im actually obliged to admit that the Saxo felt quicker and my standard GTI made 133bhp @ the fly...

That J4 engine is one of the best 1600cc's ever tbqfh

DMS

A thirsty 172
The 106 GTi and Saxo VTS ARE the same car.
In fact, I had a T reg 106 GTi and my workmate at the time had a T reg VTS.
The only differences between them were:
- Some body panels were different.
- Lights were different.
- Interior is different (but the seats are the same - just a different trim).
- The 106 had a slightly thicker rear anti-roll bar. I asked about it on PGAC and the general concensus was that it's because a thicker rear ARB helps turn-in.
- As standard, the Saxo had 15 inch wheels but the 106 only came with 14 inch "teardrop" rims.

I always preferred the 106 GTi for several reasons. I think it looks better, it was more expensive from new (so a bit less common than the VTS), and best of all it was only insurance group 13 whereas the Saxo was group 14. Peugeot tested it at half load to give false figures and lower the insurance group - in terms of straight line performance there was absolutely no difference.

For a 1600cc engine they are very strong. Mine pulled all the way up to the redline and was very reliable. The gearboxes and linkages are made of cheese and the sunroof trim kept coming off and causing the alarm to trigger, but other than that it was a joy to own.

Therefore, I think the 106 GTi should be there in place of the Saxo, but that's just my opinion. At the end of the day they're virtually identical so the fact that the VTS is in there does it justice.
However, I also preferred the 106 GTi to the 306 GTi-6/Rallye. The 306 was quicker in a straight line but as for cornering speeds there's little between them. Because the 106 is smaller it felt like a go-kart. I'm definitely going to buy another one day.

Willy + Modus DCi

yeah the winner would be the same! Evo loves the Williams!!! they also love the trophy so that would make the list!!

i love my willy!!!!! much more interesting than my 172!! MK1 HELL YEAH!

X

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member

In the Evo greatest drivers cars the Williams came about 30. Loads of hatches above it. So I'm not sure about that. However that's just driving ability and not all round test like what's cited with Autocar.

Status
Not open for further replies.