ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

Citroen DS3 DSport
Re: Lion to be released this evening?

Restarted, its now exactly the same as it was with snow leopard. I'll stick 8gb in the MBP.

I may do the same, only £55 for 8gb. Currently running 4gb in my mid-2009 13" MBP.

Lion really is fantastic. The only slight sluggishness I am noticing is when opening folders in launchpad, but overall it is brilliant. Safari has some nice new touches too. Not least of course the way pages go back and forth.

57 Clio Campus Sport

Have to click to return from display sleep instead of just touching trackpad.

P.s. Can we not change topic title to OSX Lion?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member

All the gestures are the wrong way around, how do i fix this?

Edit, found it. That is much better :)

57 Clio Campus Sport
Nah they were the wrong way round. Now they are the right way. Give it a proper chance and you will realise this.

I guess it would be annoying if you have to use some pikey computer alongside it.

Arghhh FFS I am still undecided with the scrolling. Part of me wants to stay old school, but then I find it a bit confusing to adjust to side swiping. I think Apple have chosen 'natural' as default because it works best when you get used to it. Plus of course it's in line with IOS.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
Natural is brilliant for people new to computers, I have found people who have never used them before want to do it that way.

But I've been doing it the old skool way all my life, so won't be changing.

/stuckinmyways

Also, reading list is awesome. Needed that for so long.

To get used natural you have to think like you're using a touch screen. Pushing and pulling the page, as opposed to swiping it in and out of your view. I can see why Apple are trying to change convention. It's a bit like trying to use a console pad with a shooter without inverted look. On PC I don't invert, but on consoles I do. Same ballpark.

I'm still undecided.

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
Arghhh FFS I am still undecided with the scrolling. Part of me wants to stay old school, but then I find it a bit confusing to adjust to side swiping. I think Apple have chosen 'natural' as default because it works best when you get used to it. Plus of course it's in line with IOS.

This remind me of you

443840732_0f5f77413b.jpg

The scrolling is doing my nut in. And my other mac has disappeared from my finder sidebar so I can't connect to it and screenshare (for the time being..).

Other than launchpad and mission control which just seem like ios and Expose with an icon - what's with the mega bumlove this is getting?

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Bit pissed off as my Time Machine now doesn't work as Western Digital do not currently support Lion!

Update to come in August - not good at all without any form of backup!

57 Clio Campus Sport
I think the scrolling thing can be dependent on your previous touchscreen use/age. I've had an iPhone for years and picked it up fine within 2 minutes. Going back to snow leopard way actually feels funny now.

@bollo it was only £21 and I think for the money it does add some decent features that have instantly sped up how I used my computer.

My favourite part so far is having full page windows and just swiping between them with 3 fingers.

And tonight I'll just shut down with all my stuff open and when I turn it on tomorrow it will all be there as it was.

Last edited:

.Simon

ClioSport Club Member
  Audi
Roy, it's a NAS drive - for some reason it doesn't work ... plenty of threads on the WD forums too. :(

Not good.

OMG this scrolling is going to take some getting used to!

What does four finger gestures do now? (on the trackpad) Seems like four fingers by default isn't used

Unlucky with the NAS drive :(

I'm now suddenly proper gelling with the scrolling. It starts to make sense after a few hours and is very iPhone like.

One other point of interest. I remember reading that Lion would not show you which apps are in RAM via the usual blue puddle under the dock icons. It does.

57 Clio Campus Sport
Thumb and 3 finger pinch = launchpad
Thumb and 3 finder spread = desktop

I've set 4 finger swipe left and right as back and next on iTunes.

Also remember that blue dot point being mentioned somewhere. To blend the line between already open and closed or something like that.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
So the main change in Lion from what I gather, is some different gestures which people aren't sure about ?

RS Megane DCi 175
I'm still trying to find the answer to this Q if anybody can help?
I've got an old Mac Mini which isn't Lion compatible but a 2010 MBP which I was hoping to put Lion on to. My problem is that my iTunes library is stored on a NAS drive. If I open this on Lion will it still be backwards compatible with Snow Leopard?
Have had trouble before that's all and ended up upgrading my Mini JUST to play itunes!

Inferno 182 CUP
i personally thing the gestures are epic.

the only thing i wish i could do was 2 finger swipe between finder windows .. then it would be perfect

Bloody confusing! It seems all the trackpad gestures are now done with one less finger.

eg....expose is now three finger swipe, back and forward pages is now two fingers!

I've swapped them back to how it was in SL, would get on my tits otherwise!

Another question, are there any iMac users that suddenly lust after the pad? This is all becoming very touchy. Very very IOS. It's all about the natural swipes. I'd HATE to be using a mouse now with my Macs. Yes I realise MM is a track pad also, but even so...

I bought my iMac with a trackpad, no regrets. Love it!

All the gestures make your workflow so much easier and quicker, and it's even more so with all the new gestures!

Citroen DS3 DSport
The About this Mac option has been improved, it now tells me all details about my MBP including which generation it belongs to.

I love the way three fingers can swipe up to Mission Control and then across between desktops, or just between desktops without entering MC. It starts to be come second nature. Feels like a whole new way to use your computer. Sensational. Proper into it all now. Apple have big balls trying to make an IOS experience work on a computer, but it does work. 10/10 despite some teething problems.

You can have multiple desktops too, not sure how I'm going to use that lol.

That becomes even more 'WOW' as I have a 24" external display hooked up to my iMac too. It's crazy lol!

Can someone explain the difference between launch control and expose?

Expose doesn't look like it does anything anymore.

EDIT: and I now have an auto correct spelling function as I type this too! Never noticed that before.

Love it so far. I switched back to old scrolling but after reading these comments, I might give the new natural scrolling a longer trial.

Two questions;

Is there an option to not display my username in the tool bar?

Is TRIM now supported? and where can I find it?

eugegall

ClioSport Club Member
On top of the bugs already pointed out it just doesn't seem very smooth around the edges.

Or when i load a new page or lower Safari then open it again there is a sudden flicker on the whole screen.

Inferno 182 CUP
personally the new scrolling is epic ..

makes the iPhone/ipad/mac experience all tie together

the more the 3 sync the better

RIP Dan
Going to D/L later, not even started with these finger sweeps so will start when Lion is installed. we got the trackpad and a mouse with ours as I don't like change.

Citroen DS3 DSport
Love it so far. I switched back to old scrolling but after reading these comments, I might give the new natural scrolling a longer trial.

Two questions;

Is there an option to not display my username in the tool bar?

Yes System Preferences, Users & Groups and deselect Show fast user switching menu.