ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

OSX Lion Thread

Ibiza FR
I am not 100% convinced my new iMac is running as fast as it should on Lion, I installed it via the App Store as soon as I first turned it on (after having a little go!), so I haven't got much to compare it to in regards to boot times etc from Snow Leopard.
I can't help but think making a Lion boot disc and doing a fresh install off that will help? I think Roy mentioned he had done this - did you notice any improvement in performance?

Cheers

RIP Dan
I was very surprised that I have had to reboot my iMac numerous times as it was freezing when video windows opened. Youtube, the MotoGP site etc. Could do fcuk all with it but button it, when it restarts it played vids fine. Very strange. D/L the new update so hope it sorts it out.

Ibiza FR
I'm tempted to do a clean install, but really really cba'd.

Just decided I am going to go for it when I get home tonight (whilst still in the early stages, not much on there to transfer off etc.).
I will let you know how it goes, any improvements etc.

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
I was very surprised that I have had to reboot my iMac numerous times as it was freezing when video windows opened. Youtube, the MotoGP site etc. Could do fcuk all with it but button it, when it restarts it played vids fine. Very strange. D/L the new update so hope it sorts it out.

Common issue, happened when you first woke the computer up. I stopped mine going into standby for the time being, will see what it's like with the update.

Weird thing is it did it on my iMac but not my MBP

I'm not that impressed by lion tbh, both computers are definitely running slower than they did on SL. Hopefully this will get fixed with updates.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
The update fixed my biggest issue with Lion; WiFi connection issues on waking. Since I never power my computers down it was a pain. lol.

All sorted now though!

Rav4
Common issue, happened when you first woke the computer up. I stopped mine going into standby for the time being, will see what it's like with the update.

Weird thing is it did it on my iMac but not my MBP

I'm not that impressed by lion tbh, both computers are definitely running slower than they did on SL. Hopefully this will get fixed with updates.

My MBP appears to be quicker and shutting down and rebooting. What slowness are you finding?

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My MBP appears to be quicker and shutting down and rebooting. What slowness are you finding?

General day to day slowness. I have a few applications running at once and it seems to take longer to switch between them, before it was instant.

57 Clio Campus Sport
So I've had my MacBook since October 09 and I've had to hold the power button to turn it off 4 times since I've had it. 2 of them have been since I did the Lion update earlier...

Rav4
The issue is, mine isn't really a fair test, as I have an SSD and 8GB Ram.

Lots of people are recommending a clean install.

We did an install over Snow Leopard on my friends laptop, ran ok but not amazing. We then did a clean install, with the same apps installed and versions, the laptop ran a lot, lot better.

The only difference was that we didn't add all the music it had before (500gb) but in both tests, all permissions seemed ok and there was more than 25% disk space left.

M135i
I may have missed it but how do I go about doing a clean install? My MBP isn't running great with Lion compared to SL. Lots of Rainbow balls.

Ibiza FR
I may have missed it but how do I go about doing a clean install? My MBP isn't running great with Lion compared to SL. Lots of Rainbow balls.
http://www.redmondpie.com/make-os-x...ive-sd-card-in-one-click-with-lion-diskmaker/

Re-download Lion from the App Store by option clicking it in the Purchased tab or something (I had to mess about a few times before it started downloading!)
Then download Lion Diskmaker, and it will burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB drive.

I did this all last night, but when I was reinstalling Lion I didn't format the harddrive, so it booted back up in an identical state to before?! DOH!
Going to have another go tonight.

Lots of people are recommending a clean install.

We did an install over Snow Leopard on my friends laptop, ran ok but not amazing. We then did a clean install, with the same apps installed and versions, the laptop ran a lot, lot better.

This is very reassuring, thanks :)

Rav4
http://www.redmondpie.com/make-os-x...ive-sd-card-in-one-click-with-lion-diskmaker/

Re-download Lion from the App Store by option clicking it in the Purchased tab or something (I had to mess about a few times before it started downloading!)
Then download Lion Diskmaker, and it will burn it to a DVD or make a bootable USB drive.

I did this all last night, but when I was reinstalling Lion I didn't format the harddrive, so it booted back up in an identical state to before?! DOH!
Going to have another go tonight.

This is very reassuring, thanks :)

No worries. I installed Lion using a USB stick and it worked great. As stated, make sure to format your HD first, or it will just update SL to Lion, and that isn't what you want in this scenario.

Please make sure you backup all your data, double check and tripple check you have grabbed everything you want!! :)

M135i
I've downloaded the various programs made a bootable DVD. Now I turn my mac on, press the C key and all I'm getting is the grey screen with the apple logo and the spinning black lined circle thing. The SuperDrive is making a load of noise like it's reading the disc. Is this right?

EDIT: it's on the set up screen. Should I have formatted the drive first? If so, how?

EDIT EDIT: ok erased the mac HD partition. What's the base system bit. Do I need to get shot if that too?

Last edited:
  M135i
All sorted. I muddled my way through it (quite simple actually, better than trying to reinstall winlolz) It's much quicker now.

RIP Dan
Are they not going to sort a patch to do the changes that will make it faster? I bought the day before Lion release and had virgin machine with SL on it, then opened the box, installed machine and d/l Lion. Will it be faster if I do a clean install??

Ibiza FR
Are they not going to sort a patch to do the changes that will make it faster? I bought the day before Lion release and had virgin machine with SL on it, then opened the box, installed machine and d/l Lion. Will it be faster if I do a clean install??

Mine was identical mate, I am just installing Lion now so I will let you know how it is. I have recording the old boot up time at 35.1 seconds so it will be interesting to see what this comes out at.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
My 06/07 Macbook is booting up in 38seconds which i dont think is bad at all.

Only thing thats pissed me off with Lion is the fact i cant reverse the scroll on this mac without a 3rd party download.

Last edited:
  1998 BMW e46 323i
my 2011 mbp takes 50 bloody seconds to boot, and lots of beachballs. i really cba'd clean installing.

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
my 2011 mbp takes 50 bloody seconds to boot, and lots of beachballs. i really cba'd clean installing.

I clean installed Snow leopard a couple weeks ago but just upgraded to Lion. I was going to try it and then clean install if i got in with it but don't think ill bother.

My sisters MBP she got last week came with Lion and its taking about 35-36 secs to boot. Then a chap at work can wait 1 minute just to shutdown! Doesn't seem right

Perrinho

ClioSport Club Member
I clean installed Snow leopard a couple weeks ago but just upgraded to Lion. I was going to try it and then clean install if i got in with it but don't think ill bother.

My sisters MBP she got last week came with Lion and its taking about 35-36 secs to boot. Then a chap at work can wait 1 minute just to shutdown! Doesn't seem right

Open up disk utils and repair the disk permissions, then see if thats made any difference...

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Open up disk utils and repair the disk permissions, then see if thats made any difference...

Already suggested that to him but he seems adamant he's done it. Told him to take it to an Apple Store and ask them instead. Fingers crossed they'll give him a 1 on 1 there on how to use it too.

57 Clio Campus Sport
I've just realised that Lion has broken output of DTS audio...GREAT!

Edit: Latest version of MPlayerX has working DTS but VLC doesn't.

Last edited:

SC03OTT

ClioSport Club Member
  Octavia vRS
See on the widgets screen, can you have multiple clocks showing different times around the world? Currently when I have say two clocks open, I can set them to two different time zones. However, when I turn back on, the two clocks are showing the same time.

Can this be changed?

SLK 350
Anybody used this on a 2010 MBA? Was going to update it, but after reading the reviews on iTunes I decided to hold off.

Thoughts?