ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Painting Fuel Rail Cover - Oven temp & Time??

Clio 182
Hello All

Sorry if this is in the wrong section...

Im going to paint my fuel rail cover with VHT before fitting to my 182...

Its already been chemically cleaned, and will be ordering black VHT paint today...

Will the cover need the usual sanding to prep or is the surafce ok on these after a clean ?

Is there any primer needed?

Also im going to oven bake it after painting to make sure the paint sets....

What temperature and how long is needed in the oven for something like this ?

Thanks

Mike

2014 Clio 200t edc
To give you an idea, I painted mine by sanding it down roughly and painting it satin black. Normal paint not high temp paint. It's turned out well an no problems as yet. I didn't primer or oven it.

Clio 182
To give you an idea, I painted mine by sanding it down roughly and painting it satin black. Normal paint not high temp paint. It's turned out well an no problems as yet. I didn't primer or oven it.

Cheers mate, I should defintiely be fine with sand, high temp paint and oven bake then. Shouldnt need primer

Thanks
Mike

Clio 182
Why are you going to oven bake it?

Was told to by another member. So that its properly dried etc before you put it on, not afterwards thats all.

Never painted anything in the engine bay before so just took the advice.

Clio 182
Thanks ill do that then, for that money its not worth the hassle of doing it yourself. Might aswell get a professional job done :)

Cheers to those who could be bothered to help rather than be childish

:)

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
I've had mine powder coated, cost me £75 for the upper inlet, fuel rail cover and cambelt cover and the inlet was £50 so you shouldn't be paying anymore than £20 for the rail cover to be done imo

Clio 182
I've had mine powder coated, cost me £75 for the upper inlet, fuel rail cover and cambelt cover and the inlet was £50 so you shouldn't be paying anymore than £20 for the rail cover to be done imo

thanks very much for that info mate, I think ill definitely get it powder coated.

A sensible, useful answer at last

Cheers mate
Mike

Clio tce
Any pics of this on anyone else's cars, I've only had rocker cover powder coated... Never seen furl rail done...

Clio 182
batesey, how have you found the powder coating stands up to the heat as opposed to the VHT paint ? (never powder coated anything before so wouldnt know so please excuse my ignorance)

Thanks mate
Mike

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
I powdercoated my engine components for my mark 1 five years ago, that included cam cover and such so high heat exposure

All of its still pretty much mint, so it's pretty hard wearing ;)

Clio 182
I powdercoated my engine components for my mark 1 five years ago, that included cam cover and such so high heat exposure

All of its still pretty much mint, so it's pretty hard wearing ;)

Brilliant thats what I was hoping to hear mate haha. think ill head off to my local bodyshop when the part arrives then :)

Thanks for the help
Mike

batesey

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup Turbo
Powder coating is far better than VHT imo, if it gets dirty it wont stain you just wipe it and it comes up like new, thats why i love it....

james1.jpg

Type in wheel refurbishment as the others have said or powder coating into online yellow pages , theres places all over the country so bound to be someone local

Clio 182
Powder coating is far better than VHT imo, if it gets dirty it wont stain you just wipe it and it comes up like new, thats why i love it....

james1.jpg

Type in wheel refurbishment as the others have said or powder coating into online yellow pages , theres places all over the country so bound to be someone local

Thanks alot for that mate, yours looks absolutely brilliant ! :) will have a google now!