ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

[PC/XB360/PS3] The Elder Scrolls V : Skyrim

2007 Ford Focus
Does that really matter though?

I think if there's one aspect of the player's abilities throughout the Skyrim game, is that it becomes quite arbitrary as to what you wanted 'to be' at the start of game - compared to what you end up as.

I wish Skyrim forced you to pick a more specific path and become an uber-elite archer or an epoch-rated mage - rather than being a one man-army of 20+ traits. Ultimately, it would be like playing FIFA or PES with players that have 100 rating on stamina, speed, skill, passing, etc - it all becomes a bit meaningless and a bit 'meh'. The majority of RPGs funnel you down a route of skills sets, to which you cannot then change your decision at a later date. If it's one you don't like, you need a different character. Failing that, you learn and adapt to what your character is good at and develop it on from there. Tuning and honing the skills at your disposal to the very best that they can be, is a much more rewarding experience, imo.

Even now - and as much as I try to plug enemies with arrows at anyone given time - there would be nothing in Skyrim to stop me switching to two-handed weapons and becoming god-like with those. All those hours of sticking with the bow - the sneaking around, the long-distance aiming, using the different types of ammo - has suddenly become a state of "been there, done that". Worse, is that my character would then have a brilliant archery skill and a superb two-handed one as well.

Skyrim doesn't help in the way it increases your skills without any involvement from yourself. Don't even attempt to block an incoming strike? No worries, you'll probably end up with an increase in light armour or heavy armour regardless. Want to attempt to break into a chest? Oh dear, I've broke three lockpicks, but my lockpick skill has increased anyway.

It's a common failing in Bethesda games in my opinion - and one that ultimately made my Fallout 3 experience run out of steam around the 70 hours mark. I would much, much, much prefer to select say two core skills and three secondary skills at the start of the game, and then progress through with them - rather than being able to learn and develop everything all on one character. You should still be in a position to learn additional skills or traits however, if you so wish. But if they are outside of your five choices, then they should take much more effort and time to progress even slightly with them.

That said, it's still an epic game, mind. :)

D.

Darren used to know what he was on about when talking about gaming...then he took an arrow in the knee :)

53 Clio's & counting
Was playing it last night, and was using my bow - took an arrow out to use, but I couldn't use it - wasn't up to the job as it had taken an arrow in the knee :(

53 Clio's & counting
True, iv never met a guy out in the wilderness who say's 'My cousin has a coushy job being a guard in (insert town name here) and look at me, stuck out here fighting dragons' lol.

53 Clio's & counting
Oh, iv found some cave, can't remember the name (il get it later) and it isn't showing on my map, even though iv 'found' it - not been in it yet, but hoping for some awesomness

F82 M4
I found something similar, was an abandoned prison under a bridge. It was a dead end but I could hear enemies behind the wall, no idea how to get in though. Looked everywhere for a switch to open the wall up.

F82 M4
I might actually look at treating myself with a serious machine next year. I should be getting a 15% bonus in March, what better to spend some good dollar on a PC eh :cool:

Discovered something else about smithing - You can smith beyond Legendary status. My full legendary dragonscale outfit gave me an armour rating of 635. I rolled into the blacksmiths wearing all manner of enchanted s**t that took my 100 smithing skill into the stratosphere and all of a sudden I can re-smith all my legendary gear. My armour rating is now 726.

Did the same to my bow as well - Now does 213 damage.

It makes it all bit easy actually. Especially considering it's relatively easy to boost your smithing skill.

Hixle

Hi Kiss Luke E****
ClioSport Club Member
  E90 M3
I miss Skyrimz :dapprove:

Missus is back from uni for xmas, not had chance to play in a week. I might play it in front of her enthusiastically and post her reaction.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
I think I'm pretty much done now until the DLC. I'm Lv73 and have maxed out all the stats I wanted to. I've got about 170k Gold and I've done pretty much all the quests that I wanted to.

Really looking forward to the DLC now!

F82 M4
I think I'm pretty much done now until the DLC. I'm Lv73 and have maxed out all the stats I wanted to. I've got about 170k Gold and I've done pretty much all the quests that I wanted to. Really looking forward to the DLC now!
And that's with your 2nd charactor yeah? LQL!

Bus w**ker
Worst. Game. Ever.

Really don't get the hype, if I'd paid over £20 for it I'd be raging. Tbh it's worth about £7.99.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
With that in mind, if it doesn't get Game of the Year, I'm a China man.

I'm not a China man, as it happens.

F82 M4
Worst. Game. Ever.

Really don't get the hype, if I'd paid over £20 for it I'd be raging. Tbh it's worth about £7.99.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg