ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pearl Black 172 PH1

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Hello guys ,

Last week I bought a 2001 172 Clio PH1. I assume it´s one of the last made? It´s from April 2001. Let you guys enlight me on that :)

The car has about 150 000 km or about 93 000 miles. The car is stock and I don´t pretend to change it too much to be honest. My main goal right now is bring the car to perfect condition.

In my garage :

DNB9GfB.jpg

The car has loads of service history and fortunately the owner was as OCD with maintenance as i am. Regular oil changes (2000 / 3000 km!) and lot´s of parts bought from Renault since new.

A picture of the interior :
42VtL6N.jpg

One of the first things to change was a broken air vent. A phone holder was the responsible for this.

LUnONjp.jpg

I managed to find this local to me

CH4tLgF.jpg

In the meantime i noticed that upon braking the fog light turned on. After a quick google search decided to remove the rear lights to clean the conectors. Easy fix.

TIthTCU.jpg

Decided to see if the original spare tire was stil in place. And it is :) It seems no one touched this in 19 years.

3TZ9Cwi.jpg

And the last picture with the big brother

8BWZctv.jpg

More updates soon :)

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
And...some good news and some bad news :)

Let´s start with the good news, shall we?

Received my wheels and center caps refurbished. I think they look very good.
IMG_20201112_135046.jpg

And that was a good excuse to went for a drive with the Mrs :) (Never mind the rear ride height , the parking brake was on)

image.jpg

And...here the problems began. When arrived home noticed a whining sound coming from the engine, increasing with Rpm and the car stalled on the traffic light. Odd . When parking it on the garage started to notice some smoke from the engine bay! Quickly shut off the car and went for investigation , the alternator was Hot, and i mean really really hot and smelling like burnt electrical.

After a quick check on the forum noticed this issue more than one time. Any external reason that may lead to this? Ground problems? Electrical problems?

After a quick look online, i think this alternator is the correct one?

Can some one confirm it? :)

And for last a few pictures of it washed.

IMG_20201115_161049.jpg

IMG_20201115_161108.jpg

IMG_20201115_161117.jpg

IMG_20201115_161130.jpg

IMG_20201115_161142.jpg

IMG_20201114_100154.jpg

Not a bad looking...broken car :cautious::ROFLMAO:

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Time for some updates :)

I was not easy getting a alternator for this car. Ordered one at the local car parts store for 180€ and when it arrived noticed that it didn´t have the thread . Returned it and went to the Renault dealer. 275€ and when it arrived...didn´t have the thread also! After a lot of phone calls it seems that Valeo has stopped making the thread for the lower bolt. Ridiculous . Went back to the 180€ one and open the thread myself.

A picture of everything dissembled to remove de b*****d .

FOTO 1.jpg

And lots of parts laying around on the garage...

FOTO 2.jpg

Since i was here, decided to perform the port matching of the inlets myself.

FOTO 3.jpg

Lots of material to come off it seems...

Upon removing the aux belt I noticed it state !

FOTO 4.jpg

Glad i found it on time.

FOTO 6.jpg

Everything covered while i ported the manifold on the bench.

FOTO 14.jpg

Ported and cleaned .

FOTO 7.jpg

Brand new alternator, aux belt and oil filter.

FOTO 10.jpg

Engine oil

FOTO 8.jpg

Gearbox oil...

FOTO 9.jpg

Power steering fluid...

To be continued...

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
FOTO 11.jpg

Air filter...

And a look of the mating surface of the head cleaned.

FOTO 16.jpg

FOTO 17.jpg

Ptfe gaskets arrived also .

FOTO 15.jpg

Alternator in place

FOTO 12.jpg

Belt in place, what a pain to instal !

FOTO 13.jpg

Lower inlet installed

FOTO 18.jpg

Upper in place

FOTO 19.jpg

Starting to look like a car again.

FOTO 20.jpg

Still needs to be done :

- Flush cooling system
- Install Bumper
- Install Front grille

:)

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Good work.

What’s the details on the Evo??

👍

It´s a 1999 Evo6 RS-2 . That means the lightweight version with mecanical diffs and no Abs, No Ac and soo on :) 1320kg wet on proper scales .

It´s almost stock regarding Engine. Has only a Downpipe and full HKS Exhaust, HKS intake and Dump Valve. I focused my attention on the Handling. Has Ohlins DFV with rose jointed top mounts, has Godspeed discs all around with Carbotech XP10 . And some other suff for sure :D

Evo arrabida 2.jpg

Evo arrabida.jpg

Evo arrabida 3.jpg

Evo alinhamento.jpg

Evo motor.jpg

Evo por baixo.jpg

Evo Interior.jpg

:)

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Stunning example mate 👍

Thank you so much. It´s a great car still today. I jump in to lot newer cars and faster (on the paper) and still they have not the feeling and a lot of times the pace of the Evo on twisty roads :) Over here in Portugal it´s easy to have the cars in good condition thanks to our weather. No snow and litle rain is the norm were i live .

Look how clean my Saxo Vts was . Original, never restored or anything painted.

IMG_20191214_122341.jpg

IMG_20191214_111118.jpg

IMG_20191110_123554.jpg
IMG_20191109_235008.jpg
IMG_20191214_114703.jpg
IMG_20191226_154025.jpg
IMG_20200524_195424.jpg
IMG_20200524_195446.jpg

Clio 1.6 16V
Thank you so much. It´s a great car still today. I jump in to lot newer cars and faster (on the paper) and still they have not the feeling and a lot of times the pace of the Evo on twisty roads :) Over here in Portugal it´s easy to have the cars in good condition thanks to our weather. No snow and litle rain is the norm were i live .

Look how clean my Saxo Vts was . Original, never restored or anything painted.

View attachment 1510159
View attachment 1510160
View attachment 1510161View attachment 1510162View attachment 1510163View attachment 1510164View attachment 1510165View attachment 1510166

That was in contest condition, so clean and so beautiful, why people here in Portugal like to destroy cars like these :(:cautious:

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Well, everything is done in the engine bay and back together.

Decided to remove the door silver trims. They are in bad state and need to be refurbished . Anyone knows the oem color code by any chance?

IMG_20201213_140449.jpg

And while removing them, found this .

The passenger side is the same. Time for a trip to Renault tomorrow to see if they still have it ...

Attachments

• IMG_20201212_155150.jpg
    IMG_20201212_155150.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_20201213_140446.jpg
    IMG_20201213_140446.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 114
  • IMG_20201213_140441.jpg
    IMG_20201213_140441.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 109
  01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Thanks for the pictures and feedback :) In the end i have cleaned mine and turned out ok, not perfect. But for now think will leave it as is. In the weekend will install them and take some pictures.

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Well, first of all happy new year to everyone :)

Since i had a few days off during the hollydays i decided to give the little clio some attention. On thing that always bothered me was a small stain in the boot carpet. Took if off, wet vacuum with some fabric cleaner (Poorboys) and it´s like brand new again.

6jsrBFq.jpg

Looking as good as new i guess

Yrsg9HG.jpg

Then i decided to give the rear seats some love. Since the purchase i only gave them a good dry vacuum but this time decided to spent some time with the wet vacuum one more time , after dry i applied generous amounts of poorboys leather stuff. I think they look very good for their age .

kf8ieNP.jpg

jfovHm0.jpg

Now I need to paint the rear seat belts near the seat as you may notice they are very faded. Any tips regarding witch paint should i use?

Decided to move to the front seats and interior since some things needed to be address.

First of all was the hazard switch, how it was :

sAriTLx.jpg

I can not express how much this bothered me. So after some time opening the hazard unit it was solved.

8bsu2oM.jpg

The following step was cleaning the pedals. Tried before with apc and a small brush but to no success. I think it was some kind of tar glued to the pedal. Some Wurth industrial cleaner and a small wire brush ....

Before the works

2Hig0nx.jpg

During

H42QXxj.jpg

And after

JZ4yNIn.jpg

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Next item to be addressed were the interior door handles. Both of them were broken. how? I don´t know. They were in quite a state.

Drivers side (LHD it is)

PU8PRJg.jpg

Passenger side

d4lGFcl.jpg

Awful. And look at the dirt behind the screw. No way this was going to be left this way.

70 Euros after and two brand new original door handles were with me.

a80ks1O.jpg

Old and new drivers side.

3KvImbE.jpg

And passenger side

2vy8ueb.jpg

And finally everything in place
8nelN87.jpg

jwlyfSK.jpg

After this decided to give the front some love. Apc in all the plastics, leather stuff in the leather and plastic conditioner on the plastics . Just need now a good razor to take care of the front seats. The one with a sharp eye may notice my airbag is craked and that is next job . Dash off to replace it a few more things :)

g1g5gE0.jpg

bcWeq3r.jpg

And to finish a picture of the whole car

s4X8aOh.jpg

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Time for an update :) Manage to buy an Alloy bonnet. Needed to travel 300km to pick it up but was worth it. Of course, it was silver, so a respray was on order. Trusted the job to a friend of mine who has a body shop and could not be happier with the work. The paint is a total match and you could not tell the difference. Well, the only difference is the weight of the bonnet which is way lighter than the original. Just like my wallet, it keeps getting lighter...

Leaving the body shop.
OftfJWr.jpg

And in the garage.

YCpa5QE.jpg

GQUAcEZ.jpg

To be continued :)

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Well, since we are still in lockdown and can´t do anything time to tackle this job : Airbag swap! My airbag developed a nasty crack that annoyed me and let the interior down.

The cracked airbag

LZAO1ur.jpg

Starting to disassemble everything.

wDVt4JL.jpg

KjVQYa0.jpg

hZI7eL7.jpg

l5uSb0X.jpg

Someone was here before...

GMUVHQf.jpg

And fixed the proper way.

Q4Ex6ut.jpg

Everything cleaned with APC .

ICENdXB.jpg

As you may notice also removed the air vents foam that were dissolving !

gQTgAza.jpg

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
New airbag in place. Yes, it only uses one bolt :D The other "space" does not have a pitch thread.
tOPZQuS.jpg

And since the top of the dash was off time to replace a broken air vent. Don´t know how people manage to do this.

6xXaSaw.jpg

New part

EhPCzOA.jpg

lnKhoem.jpg

Noticed the foam on the top of the dash was coming loose.

Q4FVPGF.jpg

Took care of it with some glue.

Then i took care of the foam on the ducts. Used Tesa tape.

uf3UjyZ.jpg

adKV9RT.jpg

Not pretty, but will do the job 100 times better than the old one that was coming apart :)

Cleaning everything upon reassembly.

xfCm7SH.jpg

1ikfnj0.jpg

v0fLPyy.jpg

To be continued...

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
And time to clean everything when it was all finished. Very happy with the interior for now.

B8swAEB.jpg

LtLOf72.jpg

ck3dwv1.jpg

02l5Hyj.jpg

The seats do need some love on the suede and drivers side bolster (Has some scratches ), but only nex year. This year I need to perform the timing belt along with some other things.

Like this 197 Camshafts that arrived at my house...

U4j6ema.jpg

:sneaky::sneaky::sneaky::sneaky:

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6
Small update :)

The licence plate light was very old and letting the car down to be honest.

Before

lYtLvJf.jpg

And the new part

CdPOTF0.jpg

And in it´s place

NevISlP.jpg

100 times better!

And now the fog lights. The plastic part was a bit faded.

xCkvf2U.jpg

Removed both from the car. Still the original units.

QB2yiqp.jpg

0pMAupj.jpg

And after a good cleaning and some plastic paint.

Ndo32zQ.jpg

Done

7AlLDai.jpg

Small jobs, but together they do make a difference !

01RS,03 EP3,99 Evo 6