ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 itb'd on std ECU, page 13 on

53 Clio's & counting
well thought id put up a thread to show whats needed on a higher mileage 172

i bought her last march for just over 2k from a chap in Bristol,this was the night i picked her up:
DSC00400.jpg

DSC00398.jpg

the paint was terrible,looked as it hadnt been washed in months,wheels had brake dust caked on,n/s window reg broke and had just turned on 98,000 miles

on closer inspection the exhaust was also looking suspect but it had full renault history,and was originally a company car,so i had all reciepts and invoices for its life

on looking through the history it seems to have behaved itself,only needing a new alternator and 2 rear shockers throughout its life

fist job was fixing the window reg,which i got from ECP for about £65

next came the first wash and polish

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00421.jpg

DSC00420-1.jpg

she came up alot better than expected as bearing in mind i only use basic polish,no pc,clay etc

this pic has gone into the 172 buying guide on this forum

DSC0042.jpg

i noticed the door pulls were flaking and dirty so i temp sprayed them black

DSC00435.jpg

then the expected happened and the middle section snapped,so needing an exhaust next day i bought a 3 month old blueflame system from a chap off here

DSC00456.gif

DSC00457.jpg

verdict on exhaust is it takes a lil time to get it lined up right but i think it looks nice and is perfect sound wise

sound:

th_clio2.jpg

as the months passed and the miles piled on,it still performed far better than a french car has any right to,with only rear pads and new tires required towards the end of last year

i gave her a good polish end of the year and got some arty(ish) shots :

DSC00065.jpg

DSC00068.jpg

DSC00069.jpg

then the 1st real problem started- the idle would not settle then it would rev its self from idle up to 3000 revs the nback down,then hold it at 3k,so every one who sat next to me at the lights must have thought i was a right chav :eek:

lucky richmc off here came to the rescue and sold me a new icv he had lying about and thank god no more looking like a chav!

as me and my better half are saving for a house (should be in in 2 weeks!) we couldnt afford to go anywhere flash on holiday so we both took a week off and went down to see my cousin in devon for a few days,the nheading down to boscastle in cornwall as we often venture there on short breaks

Cornwall:

DSC00200.jpg

DSC00205.jpg

this is the temporary car park in boscastle as they are still rebuilding after the flooding

DSC00189.jpg

DSC00212.jpg

and a shot looking back up boscastle harbour

DSC00223.jpg

the car behaved through all this,never getting tiresome to drive

i found a 'modified' cup

DSC00230.jpg

then stopped into my uncles to see his new toy

DSC00324-1.jpg

this is leaving devon on our way home

DSC00312.jpg

upon reaching home and having done over 1000 miles in 6 days the clio was brilliant and returned 35.8 mpg even with some slightly faster drivng,(including a 39 mile trip trying to outpace a leon cupra r)

by now miles were adding up
DSC00458.jpg

but still behaving untill.........

i broke it :eek:

well actually it wasnt my fault i left her at work for 3 days and upon starting a bad missfire was felt,after alot of searching it turned out to be a spark plug at fault,which was strange as they were what reanult had recommended and should have had 30k left in them

anyhoo i bought genuine plugs from sparkplugs.co.uk and a set of magecore leads from nick at hill power which improved starting and curred the missfire lol

all was well untill 2 months ago when turning onto 112k i started to feel play in the steering,and on looking found play in my tie rods

after being scared by my local dealer trying to fob me off with 'oh they dont come seperate mate,you have to buy a new steering rack' i went to another local dealer who supplied me the tie rods and new ends too

going to fit i realised they had supplied me the wrong ones :rolleyes:

so onto 3 weeks of trying to get the right ones (they had to phone renault uk in the end,turns out it was the thread on the end of the rods where they screw into the rack) we got them fitted,which then highlighted a few more problems,namely knocking from top mounts,so these were done in due course (note to take is i get the common koncking from the top mounts,this went away for about a week after the new ones were fitted so i think solid mounts is only cure)

and just when you think all is well.........

a cv joint falls apart on me lol

i managed to nurse her home,but on closer inspection a ball bearing dropped out :S

off to gsf for a new shaft which for reference looks indentical to the renault one,had a few fun and games fitting it (many thanks to benp for the help and advise!) and to top it all off my torque bit snapped off in the tie rod as i undid it :rolleyes:

so once this was all sorted i had made the desision to refurb my wheels (pics will be up)

so thanks to doug (drhouser) i borrowed his spare set of very nice wheels and put my tyres on so i could take my time refurbing my f1's.

which then highlighted my o/s/f wheel was buckled :S

so off i went and met burp who sold me his spare,which will go in place of my buckled one

and to add the icing on the cake when i fitted these spare wheels i found a snapped rear spring!

and this is how far we have got to today

my wheels are at work,i am just finishing off the sanding down,and will spray them next week

springs will be sorted this week as its quite dangerous

miles are now 115,160 to date

future definate mods will be:
new front shocks with uprated springs of some kind
inner handles sprayed pearl black
tracking and wheel alighnment done on our lazer machine at work
looking at uprating the brakes
making my own cold feed system (currently in the making)

i will keep this thread up to date,with anything needing replacing and also hopefully some basic up coming mods to see how the old girl copes and hopefully prove you can run a higher miles 172 without worrying its going to brake every 5 mins!

Re: The story of a high mileage 172

Good read, and a reasonably reliable car in the grand scheme of things!

It also polished up a treat :)

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Good write up!

My 52 mk2 is now on 86,500 miles i found i spent a lot of money on her when she reached the 70,000 mile mark.

53 Clio's & counting

cheers guys iv been meaning to do this for a while now,im trying to get the idea out of peoples heads that a car is no good after 80k or so

ALBI 197 Sonic MKII

Wow, awesome :)

It's good to see it's gone to someone who loves it rather than some chav who would wrap it around a lampost. Especially for just over 2K

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel

Excellent read!

My last two 172's have been on over 100k and both were pretty good tbh. Although my 1st one had 40k on it and was bloody brilliant!!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R

Thats true dedication that car will see you many more miles if you treat it like you have so far, it actualy makes me happy that my car has only got 45k on it i plan to run it until "she runs no more" lol

You just cant beat that induction noise when you floor it in second i farking love it, have to keep reminding myself that the car is 7 years old!!!

53 Clio's & counting

oh i would also like to point out the car is still on its original clutch

and gearbox lol

and so far a big shout out to everyone on here who has helped me,benp,justin 172,richmc,burp,dr houser,and everyone iv forgotten

Lots of Alfas

Nice work, I plan to get a lot of miles out of mine, only on 76k at the mo.

53 Clio's & counting

Update:

another small but (i think) effective mod was in some old stock i bought from work

i noticed some pebble dash effect on my rear arches from where the front wheels must flick up small stones etc so looking through my bits i found some clear dog leg mouldings that should originally gone on a VW Sharan,so i cut them down to this to hopefully provide a bit of protection

DSC00990.jpg

this was last week lol

DSC00981.jpg

my wheels are nearly at the end of the sanding stage

DSC00978.jpg

and i am ashamed to show her in this state,this was just before my wheels came off:

DSC00924.jpg

DSC00925.jpg

DSC00926.jpg

and this is the outcome of my cv joint giving up the ghost

DSC00934.jpg

DSC00935.jpg

when collecting my borrowed wheel nuts from drhouser,(cheers again doug!)i had a good nosey round his house mates v6,very nice,very modded,its on the front cover of a tuning magazine last month,cant remember which one though

i think approx 320 bhp

DSC00974.jpg

DSC00975.jpg

and finally after a good few hours of cleaning at work she finished up like this:

DSC00987.jpg

DSC00985.jpg

DSC00989.jpg

and this i think is the best pic i have so far of her,could you ask for a better pic of a std ph1 in black? lol

DSC00986.jpg

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member

Really tidy one this mate. Ph1 looks so good in PB

53 Clio's & counting

cheers guys :)

rear pads are done mate,will look at getting discs at some point but there still fine at the mo,shows how little braking is done on the rear of these cars,the discs are the size of a bottle top lol

RB 182

Ive spent £800 on mine this month, its on 76k

I had the track arm problem this weekend, took old one off only to reaslise they'd sent me wrong one. Was informed they're Renault only for the 172 - is this true?

53 Clio's & counting

nope,get them to ring renault uk,they do 3 types iirc,ones TRW, cant remeber

53 Clio's & counting

nope,get them to ring renault uk,they do 3 types iirc,ones TRW, cant remeber the other one,its the size

53 Clio's & counting

nope,get them to ring renault uk,they do 3 types iirc,ones TRW, cant remeber the other one,its the size of the treads that screw into the rack,measure yours mate

Clio 182.

Looks awesome mate. lovely Car for 2k.

Id consider some ph2 rears to finish the rear off though..... would still be standard....ish.

mk4 golf gttdi180

id say a new phs2 bumper and lights and in my opinion youll have the best of both worlds id love this car so tidy and genuine

KEEP UP THE GD WORK MATE

53 Clio's & counting

thanks for all the kind comments guys :)

on the rear end subject,to be honest i prefere the all red rear lights,and the bumper on the ph2's are nice,but i kinda think it defys(sp) the point of a ph1 really only imo of course :)

Suzuki Ignis Sport

The v6 is sexual!!!! I love it!

Urs is nice too hehe

53 Clio's & counting

il admit it looks a bit big in that pic,doesnt quite look that big in person,still with 320bhp every lil helps lol

latest iv done is suspension is being sorted,nothing special but i will have pics up soon

53 Clio's & counting

right time for an update:

well the past few weeks have seen a few changes for the old girl,mainly to do with the suspension,as i had a broken rear coil

DSC01013.jpg

so to start i got on the phone and ordered a few bits and pieces (including an oil filter and a few replacement bolts for my inlet mani)

DSC01019.jpg

this was 2 new front shockers, a new air filter, and a set of eibach pro lines

so a ramp at work was stolen and off came the rear springs first, with the broken section of coil as expected

DSC01020.jpg

what i didnt expect though is finding half a coil missing off the o/s/f spring!

DSC01022.jpg

interestingly is iv never felt this while driving

so anyway the new shocks and springs went on nicely

i didnt replace the rear shocks as they are only 30k old

so remember i said i was giving my oz's a quick refurb? well here they are in the stages of being done

DSC00997.jpg

DSC01000.jpg

DSC00999.jpg

DSC01012.jpg

DSC01026.jpg

i chose a colour darker than std,to make her look a lil different

i chose this time to spray my inner door handles and pulls:

DSC00998.jpg

i chose a VW colour very close to pearl black

DSC01010.jpg

DSC01011.jpg

DSC01014.jpg

DSC01015.jpg

i think they look pretty good :)

DSC01029.jpg

anyway that leaves me with showing you the new stance with the wheels back on,i havent had a chance to get some proper photo's yet,but here is one before i started to show the height difference,and one after i was finished :

DSC01025.jpg

DSC01027.jpg

the pro's have lowered about 15mm which is perfect :)

and on the way home :

DSC01017.jpg

driving wise i havent had the chance to give her a proper run as im waiting for my mastertech to do my laser alighnment,but so far ride seems about the same,but brilliant over uneaven ground and bodyroll has vanished so thumbs up so far! :D

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member

looks nice mate well worth the money, my old 2002 1.2 16v only needed a coil pack and a clutch in 140k miles! £60 or so each! £120 in parts in 140k miles (obviously not including servicing parts and brakes)

but one thing i would say when you were talking about your rear dampers only being 30k old, idd make sure they arn't leaking as one of mine was 100% gone at 32k miles and the other one was starting to leak by then. and my mates 172 was in a similar situation but at 25k!

53 Clio's & counting

cheers for the advise matey, i did check and they look really good,but i will be looking into some new one's in the near future :)

il get some better pics tomorrow to show off the wheels properly :D

Nice little progress thread, car looks great considering the amount of miles it's got on it :) Please update it etc when you get the wheels back on it etc :cool:

The rear spoiler on the vee is big, but it looks to be a trophy series one from the v6 racers a few years ago (a rare item & worth a fair bit) Not my thing really though. He's selling the car isn't he ?

The wheels on the motorbike are nice, I wonder if Neil (ph-reebone) got the idea for his wheels from the bike ?

53 Clio's & counting

]Nice little progress thread, car looks great considering the amount of miles it's got on it :) Please update it etc when you get the wheels back on it etc :cool:

wheels are now back on matey,just put some pics up in the clio media section :)

The rear spoiler on the vee is big, but it looks to be a trophy series one from the v6 racers a few years ago (a rare item & worth a fair bit) Not my thing really though. He's selling the car isn't he ?

tim might be selling,he doesnt want to though!

The wheels on the motorbike are nice, I wonder if Neil (ph-reebone) got the idea for his wheels from the bike ?

possibly mate? i loved that bike he has sold it now :(

Chocolate Bar™

those enkei wheels look awesome! really suit the colour/shape of the car. like the colour of the oz's too

53 Clio's & counting

lol too bad they dont fit right matey :( the tyres didnt look right in the flesh, and needed spacers and longer bolts to fit,and to be honest the car didnt feel the same on them,feels alot better back on the f1's

f1's also lighter too which suprised me