ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 itb'd on std ECU, page 13 on

53 Clio's & counting
Re: The story of a high mileage 172

cool bud,whats the sound difference between stealth and normal?
my mates getting a custom system made for his alfa il find out where he is getting it done

53 Clio's & counting

Best thought id update this as i havent for ages

Not much to report, miles still piling on, 124,900 as of tonight

I have fitted new brakes now, yesterday morning at work, i have got a used set of discs,pads, calipers and hoses off Doug (cheers mate!)

Now normally i wouldnt touch used brakes for obvious reasons, but as they had very little use, and i was using the complete set up (inc the calipers) i think it would have been the same as removing them from a car and refitting.

so now i have Pugsport discs( which fit nicely) and mintex pads (im guessing 1144s) with calipers with approx 30k of use, with braided hoses. i will be fitting the rear hoses soon also

Pics:

Old crap:

DSC00012.jpg

All off:

DSC00013.jpg

new disc on:

DSC00011.jpg

And all finished:

DSC00014.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

First impressions are amazing, im giving them a bit of time to settle back into use but a few hard pushes literally have me headbutting the windscreen!

lift number 1 @ btm

i can't believe you didn't clean up the discs, slack :nono:.

53 Clio's & counting

na, driving it up the road did that :D cheers again for letting me have them matey

audi a6 3.0tdi

Not read the whole thing but have you had hoses go yet on yours? mines on 111k and the main coaolant pipe split so i've ordered a full set of samcos as the others can't be too healthy either. also one of the rear shock had gone so changed that for the rears of my old one. other than than it seems to be holding up ok.

320d

Awsome car mate. Realy realy like it, ph1 172's are so good looking.

53 Clio's & counting

Not read the whole thing but have you had hoses go yet on yours? mines on 111k and the main coaolant pipe split so i've ordered a full set of samcos as the others can't be too healthy either. also one of the rear shock had gone so changed that for the rears of my old one. other than than it seems to be holding up ok.

no matey, i try to keep a regular check, and hoses seem fine, dont look worn at all tbh lol

i want new shocks on the back too, iv done the fronts, backs were done about 50k ago so needing new ones at some point

Awsome car mate. Realy realy like it, ph1 172's are so good looking.

Thanks matey always nice to hear good and bad comments :)

53 Clio's & counting

ah sorry mate i did clean the holes (ahem) after the pics were taken lol

Seriously they are s**t hot! very impressed

53 Clio's & counting

you still gotta take it for a spin!

oh il txt you in a bit,finish off last nights convo!

hopefully new lower arms at the end of the month, and part of me keeps saying the interior would look so much better in my garage...

Really good thread mate, I have just read it from the start.

Nice to see a Ph1 being so well looked after :approve:

artic blue 182 cup

Very good read. And looking really really good. Glad to see its all coming along nicely and that its been shown some good lovin' that it deserves. I've seen you alot on the roads actually around malmesbury area in the week mornings. Looks good on the road mate.

53 Clio's & counting

Really good thread mate, I have just read it from the start.

Nice to see a Ph1 being so well looked after :approve:

^ as above ;)

kind comments gents, thank you :approve:

Very good read. And looking really really good. Glad to see its all coming along nicely and that its been shown some good lovin' that it deserves. I've seen you alot on the roads actually around malmesbury area in the week mornings. Looks good on the road mate.

ah cool chap,where abouts are ya, sorry i miss you im hald asleep in the mornings!

artic blue 182 cup

ah cool chap,where abouts are ya, sorry i miss you im hald asleep in the mornings![/quote]

Well i live in Lechlade, near Fairford, but do alot of work out sorta Malmesbury, Eastcourt, Oaksey kinda way at the moment. Ah i dont think i've driven past you in my clio yet. Only in the works van but it has been on a couple of occassions. Yeah way too early imo at around 7.30ish. lol. We should meet up sometime and go for a little blast. Would be good to have a proper look around your clio. Looks a bit of a minter mate.

172 Ph1 x 2 - OB&FR

Great thread! Something for everyone in here. Pretty extreme conditions that the cars have to live with in the UK. Rusted/busted springs. Wow! Only 85 Phase 1's made it to Oz. I've posted a link to this info on www.ozrenaultsport.com

182 trophy 172 cup

I have an 03 cup on 160,000 miles. No major problems so far! Still on original clutch! Had two sets of rear shocks and drive shafts, everything that's gone has been wear and tear. Still pulls like a train but use a Trophy for every day use. Still prefer the cup for out and out thrashing, much more involving than the Trophy IMO.

Cheers

Bingo

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

I have an 03 cup on 160,000 miles. No major problems so far! Still on original clutch! Had two sets of rear shocks and drive shafts, everything that's gone has been wear and tear. Still pulls like a train but use a Trophy for every day use. Still prefer the cup for out and out thrashing, much more involving than the Trophy IMO.

Cheers

Bingo

Nice one :)

160k i thought my 52 plate on 100k was impressive!

53 Clio's & counting

Great thread! Something for everyone in here. Pretty extreme conditions that the cars have to live with in the UK. Rusted/busted springs. Wow! Only 85 Phase 1's made it to Oz. I've posted a link to this info on www.ozrenaultsport.com

brilliant mate, glad to hear from another clio lover from Oz, only 85 ph1s made it i didnt realise that, might be a rare sight!

Yeah the springs being snapped did suprise me, funny thing was you couldnt really feel in when driving

53 Clio's & counting
Last edited:
  audi a6 3.0tdi

i'm limited to 5k miles a year on the clio or i'd catch you up in no time. glad to see you are looking after it and it still looks original, i hate it when people make ph1s look like ph2s

53 Clio's & counting

agreed there mate, iv never quite understood that, if you like the ph2 looks then buy a ph2 lol

RSC 172

Good Read man!!

I agree with you that ClioRS still run very strong although high mileage!
My 02 Ph2 172 also done nearly 170k (105633 miles) in Melbourne
Love to see more of your story =) Nice Ph1 anyway

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting

Update:

DSC00500.jpg

So now we have shot past this, this month i had fitted matched inlets and a new steering wheel:

Here are my old inlets and the matched ones to compare

DSC00553.jpg

DSC00552.jpg

Ports could do with a good going over!

DSC00567.jpg

Valves don't look bad for the miles ( ie there still in one piece lol)

DSC00568.jpg

All back together after a lick of paint

DSC00594.jpg

And new wheel:

DSC00593.jpg

Verdict:

Inlets have improved the performance, not sure by how much, (will be back on the rollers in the next few weeks) but the 5k kick is smoother and feels more powerfull at low revs.

the steering wheel has made the bigger difference though. Due to it being more forward i can now have the seat a bit further back and i can heel and toe without hitting my leg on the wheel!

TrackCar & F30 330d

Steering wheels looks mint. Good to see she's still running after all those miles :)

PH1 172

what wheel is it russ? need one for my ph1! cars a real credit to ya!

53 Clio's & counting

I can't remember which OMP wheel it is mate, il find out, il get some better pics for you. Oh and thats for the compliment :approve: