ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 itb'd on std ECU, page 13 on

53 Clio's & counting
Re: The story of a high mileage 172

cheers guys :)

im happy with how its coming along,still got more plans though, thinking about what to do with my engine mounts as i still getting knocking ?

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...

excellent read mate, nice to see you gettin stuck in to look after her

53 Clio's & counting

thanks for the kind comments guys :)

im hoping blk ph1's will be gettig rare soon lol

53 Clio's & counting

cheers matey:)

getting my alighnment done this week so i will put some pics up of that and our alighnment machine too,serious bit of kit

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf

Youve made a splendid job with this mate,just shows you high milers dont always mean big problems if there well looked after

53 Clio's & counting

thank you very much mate,its really nice hearing good comments,everyone seems so scared of high mileage cars,but it shows there ok if they are looked after

53 Clio's & counting

right welded my exhaust today and its split again in aother bloody place! bloody engine mounts!

53 Clio's & counting

Next update:

Nothing too much, i got some new side repeaters so went from this horrible thing:

DSC01045.jpg

to this:

DSC01046.jpg

alot better i think

then i put some silver visions in the front (thanks nick-89 :))

then i bought a 3/4 plate and i think it makes the front look very agressive, especially in black :)

DSC01048.jpg

DSC01047.jpg

then to finish off had my laser alighnment(sp) done

DSC01071.jpg

,it was towing out quite badly but i expected it to be as i have recently done my tie rods, a now its lot more direct to drive now,turn in is alot better with less input needed

e60 M5 -172- dciheid

good work there matey, simple indicator bulb change looks MILES better!!

Storm Grey 200

Nice, loving the new plate! And is that some darker coloured F1's i spy, good choice :cool:

EDIT: Second thoughts i think its just a shadow making them look dark... how embarrassing.

172 & RSi

Nice, wheres the plate from and what measurements is it? Also which font is that?
Cheers

53 Clio's & counting

good work there matey, simple indicator bulb change looks MILES better!!

thank you good sir :)

looking very swish her...nice work chap

getting there mate,i want your wheels lol ;)

Nice, loving the new plate! And is that some darker coloured F1's i spy, good choice :cool:

EDIT: Second thoughts i think its just a shadow making them look dark... how embarrassing.

they are slightly darker than std colour mate pop round and have a look when you get a chance

Nice, wheres the plate from and what measurements is it? Also which font is that?
Cheers

it was from fancyplates and its a 3/4 style and its font 1 on there list

im well happy with the look from the front now, getting there slowly!

53 Clio's & counting

quick update:

went out for a play with my g-tec last night, now my 172 is supposed to hit 60 in 6.8-7.1 depending where you read, so say an average of 7 secs, well last night i had 5 runs, which one was over 7 secs due to too much wheelspin ( 7.26) but the rest were all under 7 secs with my best being 6.58 :D which i didnt think was too bad with 116,661 miles under her belt lol

oh and going on my other thread about the knocking noise, even with the lauching for my 0-60 runs it fefused to knock last night,which i find really interesting,maybe she likes me now and has decided to fix herself? lol

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

quick update:

went out for a play with my g-tec last night, now my 172 is supposed to hit 60 in 6.8-7.1 depending where you read, so say an average of 7 secs, well last night i had 5 runs, which one was over 7 secs due to too much wheelspin ( 7.26) but the rest were all under 7 secs with my best being 6.58 :D which i didnt think was too bad with 116,661 miles under her belt lol

oh and going on my other thread about the knocking noise, even with the lauching for my 0-60 runs it fefused to knock last night,which i find really interesting,maybe she likes me now and has decided to fix herself? lol

Pretty good times, i guess the engine is nice and loose now.

'91 Clio RT =D

thats nice.

I really like that in black aswell. TBH why should you care about the mileage. Aslong as the car doesnt fail on you and you love it thats all that matters.

Nice I like it alot.

Craig

53 Clio's & counting

cheers craig thats the way i look at it :)

i think your right fletch, i dont think iot will get much more loose lol

BMW E46 330i Touring

Good read mate, good to hear that whislt there are plenty of 'wear and tear' bits to be replaced, the car itself is going strong and looking good.

High mileage is a great bargaining tool to get a cheap car but more often than not, the mechanics of the car are just as good as one that is the same age with half the miles.... as long as it's been cared for.

53 Clio's & counting

so true mate, i used to own a 5 series bmw with 197k on it, and the engine still ran like new!

Golf R/Leon FR

great read russ RS-1 is looking spot on, loving the wheels and plates.

i think ill be ordering a 3/4 plate for my ph-1 :)

mines on 93k now, starting to replace alot of parts too. need new steering rack or track rods. had new shocks and tyres. currently back on standard springs but getting either coilovers or sportlines

172 Race Car

Cool thread Russ, not too sure about the plate. Font looks abit small imo.

Deffo leave the rear end original. Ive changed my lights back to phase 1 and i reckon it looks better

53 Clio's & counting

cheers bud, im agreeing with you, i love the ph1 rear end :)

small update:

(pics to come)

well iv noticed after a bit of hard braking my n/s/f brake seems to stick slightly as you can hear it squeaking, once parked up for a bit its fine, so i popped into work and put her up on a ramp and whipped the pads out, the pads had a bit of a funny lip on the outside so i just took that off with the bench grinder, also cleaned up the edges of the pads and where the edges touch the slider, and also cleaned up the slider itself and the guide pins, copper greased it all back up and chucked it back together

interestingly i found the pads to be around 50% worn even though they have been in for years, and have had 18k of my driving lol, thing is i checked them when i first got the car, and they looked EXACTLY THE SAME NOW AS THEY DID 18K AGO :S

all i can think of is they are cheap pads ( just like when you buy cheap tyres and they dont grip for s**t but last 30k lol) and i cant really justify spending out for better brakes untill they are worn more ( buying a house so watching my pennys)

anyway a spirited drive home and all seems better so far fingers crossed

it always feels great to do small bits and pieces and making a difference

172 Race Car

Phase 1 rear end fan club are in town!

As for the discs Russ i dont think its down to cheep discs as ive see oe ones do it. just something they do imo

53 Clio's & counting

really Jay?

bloody Renault rubbish lol, oh just been out for a good B road blast, brilliant right up till i came home and my bloody exhaust is blowing again!!!

i need some advise now, iv welded the exhaust back up a few times now and i think its just become too weak so i might swallow the cost and buy a new exhaust, i think this one has broken because of my engine mounts, now my mounts are adjusted its alot better but im worrying if i spend out on a new exhaust my engine movement might break the new one :( what do i do guys?

53 Clio's & counting

nope bud a blueflame cat back, but it has now been welded top and bottom on both the front and back (inner and exit) of the centre box im thinking its just cecome to weak on these joints?

172 Race Car

You should have a look/listen to my prospeed.

I wasnt totaly happy with it at first but after it bedded in it is lovely imo. Did 1,000 miles on my old flamer and now has a new home on the phase 1.

53 Clio's & counting

yeah would love to matey, how much are they?

thing is pretty sure my enigne is ok now, its still knocking under hard accelleration, bit its a lot better, but im still worried that it will brake again

Clio Valver

You sir are an inspiration!! Love the fact you've seen past the miles and are maintaining this sweet 172. Have you had to switch oil when you service it now due to the mileage? Which grade of oil do you use?

172 Race Car

RE prospeed: I paid about £335 cut through the bumper. Stealth is a bit cheeper.

It was 6 months ago tho

53 Clio's & counting

You sir are an inspiration!! Love the fact you've seen past the miles and are maintaining this sweet 172. Have you had to switch oil when you service it now due to the mileage? Which grade of oil do you use?

thank you for the kind words matey :)

nope mate i dont use elf oil, or anything renault suggests, but i do use the correct viscosity, a fully synthetic 5w 40 which change every 6k , the oil i actually use is one that VW make ( i get it at a good price as i work for VW) and i know its good quality oil, and it doesnt burn any at all :)

RE prospeed: I paid about £335 cut through the bumper. Stealth is a bit cheeper.

It was 6 months ago tho

hmmm thats cool mate, il have to check the funds, do you think welding some sort of brace from the box to the pipe would help?

53 Clio's & counting

i might have a go at welding it up yet again, and putting a brace on as one last ditch effort,problem is where its been welded so much its starting to blow holes in it, so im welding over the holes i blew into it trying to weld the cracks, its a vicious circle