ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph1 172 itb'd on std ECU, page 13 on

53 Clio's & counting
Re: The story of a high mileage 172

Do it NOW lol, mine is now perfect for my driving position, now the wheel sits further back, i can sit more comfortable and its like driving a different car now, i feel alot more confident

Storm Grey 200

flol, our engine bays look identical. I did my plenum like that a couple of weeks back.

M

mini-valver

Proper mint car in the flesh aswell. Credit to you mate :)

Saxo is on 95k now, gearbox is on its last legs and it knocks abit but its mint!

53 Clio's & counting

Thank you matey means alot to me that :)

Chuck some forte diff and gear oil treatment in mate, it will make a world of difference

53 Clio's & counting

Update:

Not updated this in a while so:

Well to start the work on the Clio i spent 4 hours on Saturday cleaning out my garage.

I pulled everything out and sorted through all my stuff, sorted out the useable from the rubbish, and made myself throw away a lot of bits and pieces I keep thinking that I may need.

The outcome is I now have a fully useable garage, and a workbench I can now use, where as before I couldnt even see it! I also brushed out about 5kg's of dust and dirt!

Here is the finished product:

DSC01192.jpg

Once this was done, I popped to where the Clio has been hibernating, and as expected it fired up first time :D and drove it up to my now waiting garage.

Once in and settled, I began to take bits off, starting with the airbox:

DSC01193.jpg

Once that was off, I moved onto the throttle cable and set about unplugging the air temp sensor, throttle position sensor, coil pack, map sensor and idle control valve:

DSC01195.jpg

DSC01194.jpg

Next stage, removing the coil pack and then undoing all the bolts holding the upper inlet manifold.

I then unplugged the injectors, undone the bolts holding the fuel rail on, unplugged the feed to the rail and removed the injectors and fuel rail complete.

The vac pipe and all breather pipes were then pulled off and I then pulled off the upper inlet:

DSC01196.jpg

Once off and on my bench, I removed the throttle body.

After this, I started on the lower inlet. This is usually a pain, more so to fit than remove due to it needing sliding into place, meaning the gasket is a right pain to get right!

Taking off can still be a pain due to the position of the lower bolts, but thankfully i managed to get them out without any hassle and I beat my record time too! There is also a bolt that comes in from the side, that bolts through a bracket which is a fiddly one to do.

But after a little fiddling, the lower mainfold came off leaving this:

DSC01197.jpg

DSC01198.jpg

By this time I was running out of hours, so I used some degreaser and had a quick go at cleaning up the rocker cover and cylinder head. I will have another go a few more times this week to see if I can get it a bit cleaner, I have no pics of it after my cleaning session but I will grab some this week.

By this time Id reached about as much as I could do today, plus I needed to wrap up all the bits I had removed off the Clio and get them sent off to their new owners!

So thats it so far, more updates soon.....

53 Clio's & counting

Next Update

Here is the workspace i have, quite chuffed I managed to clear up the garage as much as I have, with the Clio in it I have about 2ft in front and behind it which means I can use my work bench too:

DSC01204.jpg

Well I had a spare half hour tonight, so cracked on with the big list of things I need to do, so tonights work was to remove the slam panel:

DSC01205.jpg

DSC01206.jpg

DSC01207.jpg

Only broke one bolt, the N/S one that bolts through the rad bracket at the top.

Im sure what im doing now must be obvious :)

More soon..........

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode

ITB's fo sho

Cracking read btw, love it!

53 Clio's & counting

Cheers fella, its done me well over the years :)

It helps i love writing, used to do online reports for Performance Car (RIP) and loved it

Maybe a 172 Cup..

Love your car Russ. No show STD looking missile! As it should be IMO!!

53 Clio's & counting

Love your car Russ. No show STD looking missile! As it should be IMO!!

Cheers mate! :approve: I do put a lot of effort into it,and its really nice to see others see what i see in it :)

53 Clio's & counting

That 'should' be by the weekend mate, though il get some more pics of the tidy up as I go, im waiting on a few bits of info/measurements to come back to me before I can go any further which is really frustrating as I want it done now lol

53 Clio's & counting

Lol well i told Tesco about it and it didnt change mine, doesnt change my Trade ins either :)

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member

Lol well i told Tesco about it and it didnt change mine, doesnt change my Trade ins either :)

Ah - cool. Worth checking though as you know what insurers are like. Change the mounting bracket for your rear-view mirror and expect the premium to go up £100. ;)

D.

53 Clio's & counting

lol some are like that mate, always best to give them a ring before hand, most understand though :)

53 Clio's & counting

Small update:

Just ordered my next few bits i need, will need to do a bit of fabricating but all good :)

Pics to follow of a bit more prep work im doing

53 Clio's & counting

Didnt have too long on it today, managed to find my catch tank so gave that a quick clean and im having a think of where to mount it:

DSC01212.jpg

Also continued with cleaning the engine, managed to give the top of the radiator,condensor and gearbox a good clean down, but I didnt think you would want to see pics of that.

Storm Grey 200

Good progress man. I am really dissapointed by the lack of clean radiator pics. Ha.

53 Clio's & counting

Really small update:

Well there isnt a huge amount I can do at the moment as im waiting for some more bits to arrive, so i had a quick clean up of the engine bay and when I removed the slam panel i noticed a bit of surface rust:

DSC01220.jpg

So that had a sand down and the hammerite treatment!

DSC01221.jpg

Im also thinking of mounting my catch tank here to the left of the coolant bottle?

DSC01222.jpg

Oh and a quick shot of my radiator that I cant get bloody clean! lol

Seems to be the usual place to mount them

DSC01218.jpg