ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

PH1 172 to PH2 172FF - p/ex deal??

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
right. ive got a ph1 172 with 84k on clock in black (see for sale section).

I wouldnt mind a newer 172 cos im so impressed with clio 172 but mines gettin on a bit.

Who's gone from a ph1 to a ph2? is it a good idea or will i be disappointed?

i been offered 3500 p/ex for mine and seen a ph2 silver 51 reg on 53k for 5000. so mine and 1500 basically.

worth it or cud i do better?

I thought of the same thing, i've got a ph-1 172 and have been offered a ph-2 51 plate, 6k on the clock!! for £5000 but will only get £3500 for mine, having paid £6500 from a dealer last June! feel i'm losin too much money!

btw, I know i paid over the odds but i didnt have a clue about 172's!! i was looking for a small quick car and didnt come across a 172 till then and loved it! Parkers still say its a fair price from a dealer but i've not seen one go for anything over £4000! talk about depreciation - £3k in 8 months!! :(

get a later Ph2 172 (03 onwards) as these had cruise control whereas the earlier ones didnt.

i wouldnt bother with that 51 reg car, it could only be 1 month newer than my Ph1 172 lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
I thought of the same thing, i've got a ph-1 172 and have been offered a ph-2 51 plate, 6k on the clock!! for £5000 but will only get £3500 for mine, having paid £6500 from a dealer last June! feel i'm losin too much money!

btw, I know i paid over the odds but i didnt have a clue about 172's!! i was looking for a small quick car and didnt come across a 172 till then and loved it! Parkers still say its a fair price from a dealer but i've not seen one go for anything over £4000! talk about depreciation - £3k in 8 months!! :(

thats EXACTLY how i got mine! seen a clio 172 for cheap in autotrader and needed a car so bought it and been 100% chuffed with it from day 1.
i was addicted to 205 gtis b4 and now im addicted to these.
i didnt pay anywhere near 6k for mine tho ;) so maybe worth it?

not too fussed about cruise control. id rathe rhave a cup for the little spoiler and rims and colour etc. but i need my leather seats! and ABS is a bonus.

but performance and reliablilty wise, i wudnt be losing out? plus i cud keep my apex springs and IK and maybe other bits to swap over?

a 51 plate 172 on 53k miles for 5k is ok then?

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
they are alot slower so im led to belive :p

o and i payed 4.6k for my ph1 just beofore xmas

no, its not great.

you'll find better cars. My car is a Y plate, and has done 5k more miles, so better mileage for its age.

you say you want to change because your car is getting on a bit, well so is a 51 reg car... its 6 years old!

Hawkeye

ClioSport Club Member
  Damage repaired
get a later Ph2 172 (03 onwards) as these had cruise control whereas the earlier ones didnt.

i wouldnt bother with that 51 reg car, it could only be 1 month newer than my Ph1 172 lol

04 172FF here with no cruise control.I thought it was an option?....My first post in months..lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
no, its not great.

you'll find better cars. My car is a Y plate, and has done 5k more miles, so better mileage for its age.

you say you want to change because your car is getting on a bit, well so is a 51 reg car... its 6 years old!

no i dont mean age wise. i mean mine hit 84k yesterday and once it gets close to 90 its impossible to get rid of and then the magic 100k when no one will touch it.

plus do fancy a change a bit but love these 172 so thought a ph2 wud be ideal. slightly different look, different colour and feels bit newer.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

ive had mine a year now and i paid even less than 4600 (not sayin how much!) for it last feb just cos the person wanted rid of it ASAP. so for my circumstances 3500 p/ex is pretty good? i did buy it on 70k tho so had to get belts done and plugs.

56k isnt low mileage, thats all im trying to say... after a few years you'll be in the same position as you're in now.

it also looks like there's a scrape on the bumper on the car you're looking at, although it could just be dirt

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
i only keep cars for a year anyway then i need to get another one. thats just me im a weirdo like that!

how u know which car im looking at?!

AMV8, Mk1 Golf

ive had mine a year now and i paid even less than 4600 (not sayin how much!) for it last feb just cos the person wanted rid of it ASAP. so for my circumstances 3500 p/ex is pretty good? i did buy it on 70k tho so had to get belts done and plugs.

yeah mines got exactly half the miles that yours has now lol

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
yeah thornton car sales in ellesmere port. im being watched!

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
In a couple of years though you'll be in the same boat again.Save a bit more and get a 182.1500 quid for the same car basically is not really worth it imho

ian

renaultsport clio 182
just gone from a phase1 172 to a 182 got 4k for it part ex,was a cracking car,but the 182 is better,seats dont look as good though.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
ok so ignoring the part ex thing now, wats the whole thing of owning a oh1 to a ph2? is it slower? better equipped? more reliable (i know they use some sort of electonic throttle on ph2??)? more fun to drive/own/insure?

Scirocco GT 210
having paid £6500 from a dealer last June! feel i'm losin too much money!

You paid £6.5k for a ph1 172 last June?? You got robbed!

Paid £6k for mine, but that was nearly 2 and a half years ago. I'm selling it soon, God knows how much/little I'll get for it :S

ok so ignoring the part ex thing now, wats the whole thing of owning a oh1 to a ph2? is it slower? better equipped? more reliable (i know they use some sort of electonic throttle on ph2??)? more fun to drive/own/insure?

The Mk2 looks more modern, thats all there is to be honest.

Buy a 172 Cup, it's the only mk2 I'd consider over a 182 Trophy.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I would go for a newer one than a 51 plate.

I would be amazed if you notice something like a 0.2 sec 0-60 performance difference.

Criuse was an option on the later 172's, but you can turn the ESP off with the 2003> like mine.

You can get a 2002 Cup from around 5.5k mind.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy

yeah a cup wud be ok, but i know this is going to ruffle a few feathers, but i thought cups were just a cut price FF with no air con, abs and leather (definately read it on here!). i want one with the nice extras like the half leather seats and abs. cups are too bog std.

172 Ph2
I don't see what's wrong with buying a 2001 172 ph2! I had a 54 plate 182 before my 51 plate 172 and TBH there really isn't much difference! My 172 has had loads of new parts fitted and feels as tight as my 182 did, it's just got a few more stone chips! The idea of swapping from a ph1 to ph2 is a good'un if you can get one that's lower milage and in mint condition. The only problem is that with you 172 you know what you've got. You could buy a ph2 and have to psend loads on it. Is it really worth the risk??

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
well im just thinkin to cos mines on 84k now and wont it be a lot harder to sell at 90k odd?
also i just get bored easily and fancy something different. a silver new shape or somethin. not desperate to cos i love my ph1 and its fine - no knocks or anything and just had rear bearings and discs done.

172 Ph2
I know what you mean mate, it's nice to have a change! A nice phase 2 would be a better car but not if it's gonna cost you a load of cash. Just think what you could use £1500 for on your car!

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
yeah but it just puts people off i find when sellin em. i bought my last car on 103000 but i wasnt @rsed cos it was a 328 sport but when i came to sell it on 120000 it was a nightmare! let it go for peanuts and was choked.

why not go for one of the later cup's that came with the cc just like mine . lol

yeah a cup wud be ok, but i know this is going to ruffle a few feathers, but i thought cups were just a cut price FF with no air con, abs and leather (definately read it on here!). i want one with the nice extras like the half leather seats and abs. cups are too bog std.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
dont suppose theres anyone on here who wants to sell there ph2 for a ph1 deal?