ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Ph2 Clio 172 vs. Super/Turbocharged MINI Cooper S

Black Ph2 172
...has anybody come up against these at Santa Pod? Thinking of going with my friends and one has a Supercharged Cooper S and the other Turbocharged.

My car is std apart from Ktec Stealth cat-back. How do you reckon I will fair?

Cheers,

Andy

Black Ph2 172
Been looking on You Tube and every video I've watched Clio wins (just) so hoping should be able to pip them ;-). May have to get a remap before to make sure!

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Its close but if you get a good launch you might edge it with the weight defecit the Cooper carrys.

JCW's are a fair bit quicker though

Chris205

ClioSport Club Member
  Many Things
cant say ive ever had much hassle beating them in my ph1, i would imagine if you get it mapped with a raised rev limiter you may be able to get over the line in 3rd

PH1 V6
cooper s should be fairly even... perhaps clio a tad quicker.

you would need a fair few mods to keep up with a JCW though

MERCEDES CLS AMG
Down to experience really - as with most things in life

It also depends on the strip your racing at ( Santa Pod is glued - york / crail isnt )

I always lower my tyre pressure's ( standard rubber about 18 - 20 psi ) or if your using Slicks around 12 - 14 psi. Always go 36 - 40 psi at rear. When you approach the start line warm you tyres up by performing a burn out for at least 5 - 10 seconds. Once youve done this reverse and do it again. Traction is very important. Warm tyres give you it - cold tyres dont.

Approach the start line and line your car up. Put the car in first gear and lift your handbrake whilst letting your clutch out - build revs to around 2000 rpm with your clutch biting so the car is itching to go. Keep your hand on the hand brake and your foot on the accelerator. Your 0 - 60 foot time is very important and can affect your terminal by 1 - 2 seconds if you mess up.

When the lights change let off the handbrake and plant the accelerator - get the combination perfect with practise as if the Revs drop on attempted acceleration this will mess your time up and affect your terminal. Your reaction time is also very important. Practise it.

Get the car on a rolling rd and find out what peak power is in each gear. Write this down and stick it on your dash. Memorise it or glance at it with your peripheral vision as your accelerating. I always install a second rev counter with a peak revs change indicator on my cars.

Keep the car light - seats out, no luggage and £5 quids worth of fuel.

I ran a 13.9 in my Clio back in 2003 ( 2.0 16v F4R 736 ) and a 13.4 with a 50 shot of gas. I was using michelin racing slicks ( £10 each from Oulton park - ex clio cup racing tyres ) the car had no interior.

Cue weeman ;)

ph2 172 and 106 gti
My mini cooper s JCW GP i had would make mince meat out of my 172 i have now, I miss it alot!!

Iceberg 172
The JCW GP2 is a different kettle of fish (although my old polo made one look very silly - the driver and the passenger were laughing at me thinking they'd leave me - they didn't realise it had a 20vt lump in it with just shy of 300bhp!!! SHOCK!)

I think the 172 vs old / new cooper s will be fairly even - but atleast you won't look like a total gay boy in the clio sport!

ph2 172 and 106 gti
^^ in fairness to the GP driver most polos don't have that type of power!! can't blame him for thinking he was onto to a winner,

I love a good sleeper car though!

Jamie

ClioSport Club Member
I had a do with a Mini Cooper S thing in the 172 at the lights to 60 or so. I got a bad start and lost half a car length, by 60 I was just infront.

Iceberg 172
^^ in fairness to the GP driver most polos don't have that type of power!! can't blame him for thinking he was onto to a winner,

I love a good sleeper car though!

lol - I know! Was still funny though, i think he saw the buckets in my polo and though "oh dear!"

LY 200
We have an 07 plate Cooper S in our family and although the noise it makes is nice on full beans it is nowhere near as quick as my old 182!

A ph2 172 would probably just have the edge on one i think.

MCS R56
Sounds like I stand an ok chance, will a JMS remap give me the advantage I might need to win???

No, wouldn't have thought so.

Being able to drive will give you the advantage...getting a perfect start and perfect shifts is the key, imo.

MCS R56
My mini cooper s JCW GP i had would make mince meat out of my 172 i have now, I miss it alot!!

He ain't racing one of these, so what does it matter? That's like saying, "'Clio 172 vs my JCW GP?', will I win?..."well my Clio 172 Turbo will win."

LY 200
Call me thick but what is the point of turbo'ing a Cooper S if theres still no gains?

Im not mechanical minded but i didnt even think an S could be Turbo charged!? :S

Black Ph2 172
So a JMS remap is not worth it? Yeah I will defo try practising a few times...determined not to lose to a MINI :)

Call me thick but what is the point of turbo'ing a Cooper S if theres still no gains?

Im not mechanical minded but i didnt even think an S could be Turbo charged!? :S

Lol.

They are supercharged (old ones) or turbo (new ones) as standard.

LY 200
^Haha - I didnt know they had started turbo'ing the new ones!

So there is no such thing as the Cooper S these days then?

Black Ph2 172
The old s'charged ones had 163 bhp (increased to 170 later) the current t'charged ones have 175 bhp, but strangely are less 'tunable' than the old ones!

LY 200
LOL - This was where i got confused as the S stood for Supercharged or so i have always been lead to believe!

Taking the Supercharger away but still calling it the same thing doesnt make sense to me.

^Haha - I didnt know they had started turbo'ing the new ones!

So there is no such thing as the Cooper S these days then?

Yes but it's now turbo charged. f**k me. Go back to bed, close your eyes, open them and start again :D x

LY 200
Yes but it's now turbo charged. f**k me. Go back to bed, close your eyes, open them and start again :D x

LOL - Its falsely selling something as something which it isnt but that doesnt matter!

I would be wanting my money back if i was short changed on the the new Turbo'd Cooper S tbh! ;)

Some gay Mini weirdo says on their forum said:
BMW & MINI have said it once before and will say it again and again. The S does not mean anything. The liked the design of the S because it looked like a sweeping road. Anyway it can be interepted as Sport or Supercharged. But it means nothing.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Did anyone ever say the s stood for supercharger tho?