ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Pipercross Air filter development for Clio 197

Pipercross are currently looking to develop a intake system for the Clio 197.

To do this we require the use of a car for two days. The owner of the car would recieve a intake kit free of charge for there trouble.

If you are intrested in being involved in the development of this system please email me adam@pipercross.com

Many thanks

MCG

Vauxhall Astra VXR
you said this about the 172 and 182 with the vforce, and that never happened, just a load of hype

Clio 172 mk2
you said this about the 172 and 182 with the vforce, and that never happened, just a load of hype

Steady on

What did happen to the elaborate 'cabinet' that was the V-force anyway? Has anyone actually brought & fitted one to a 172/182?

Pipercross developed the Vforce kit for the 182.

Unfortunatly the Vforce kit was precieved by our distibutors as too expensive (RRP £500) and the removed any backing for stocking the Vforce.

This was a great shame as the kit worked realy well.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
It was probably perceived as too expensive by any potential customers as well . After all its only a filter in an enclosed airbox .Why develope a filter / airbox with a price tag thats unrealistic in terms of any performance increase ?At the end of the day you'll only see small gains with any upgraded air filter . Surely you must keep an eye on your what your competitors have to offer in regards to build quality , price etc .....?

The idea was never to sell them in massive quantities, but hopefully sell more intake kits off the back of the marketing. Anyway I don't make these decisions, I am just the R&D Guy.

If you guys had a hand in developing a intake system for a clio what touches would you like to ad?

lol- any thing else,

Are looks important or do you prefer a O.E look?

How about sound? Is louder better or do like a more subtle sound?

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
The idea was never to sell them in massive quantities, but hopefully sell more intake kits off the back of the marketing. Anyway I don't make these decisions, I am just the R&D Guy.

If you guys had a hand in developing a intake system for a clio what touches would you like to ad?

There are two possible results from changing the induction system. More power. And more noise. All we've seen so far from you is products that promise lots of the former but instead deliver only lots of the latter. How about products that do it the other way around?

Trouble is everyone's different, but personally, I'd like good power gains, but have an oe look about it, and have a little induction noise, but not as much as you'd get with say a normal piperx cone filter for example.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

I would say the vast majority of people want an upgraded airfilter to give some kind of proven increase in bhp , then you'll always get some people who don't mind sacrificing a few bhp if it sounds better / louder .

What gains did you actually see with the VForce on a clio 172/182 ? Honest answer only ;)

I spoke to the R+D guy at k+n who developed the apollo , he said they saw gains of around 10bhp with just the filter :eek:

If you believe 1 run we actually got 17BHP at peek. But the average was just over the 10BHP.

The most impresive thing was the increase it gave before the engine came on cam.

We were getting around 18-20 BHP through the mid range!

so an air filter that gives better gains than a manifold match and remap? bit suspect

If you can maximise the air going into an engine, then the results can be surprising surely? Just look at how turbo and super chargers work. Giving the engine plenty of air increases power by a huge amount.

I know a filter is not forced air induction, but a car travelling at speed surely has some aspect of forced air.

scirocco r
My car was the 197 used to make the K&N kits,the apollo kit looks the best as it is coulor codeed to your car,57i had better hp the pear garned 2-4 bhp, i will have them on the car by the end of feb i will be selling the 57i kit if any body wants it let me know.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
My car was the 197 used to make the K&N kits,the apollo kit looks the best as it is coulor codeed to your car,57i had better hp the pear garned 2-4 bhp, i will have them on the car by the end of feb i will be selling the 57i kit if any body wants it let me know.

The k+n apollo is a universal filter . I took mine off because it was choking the engine , the surface area of the apollo was smaller than that of the standard panel filter . With my 182 running the apollo the engine eventually cut out , it also lost the 5k kick and i had to be towed home with the AA .

munchy106,

Are you a K+N stockest?

Any way back to my orignal question.

Is there a 197 owner out there willing to be involved in the development of a intake kit?

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa

The k+n apollo is a universal filter . I took mine off because it was choking the engine , the surface area of the apollo was smaller than that of the standard panel filter . With my 182 running the apollo the engine eventually cut out , it also lost the 5k kick and i had to be towed home with the AA .

scirocco r
Are you a K+N stockest?

NO i'm not a K&N stockest.

Is there a 197 owner out there willing to be involved in the development of a intake kit?
user_online.gif

i would let you use my 197, were are based as i am in manchester.

Civic Type R
Might be worth sending Harry Metcalfe at EVO magazine an e-mail. He is running a 197 as long term test car and in the last report said that he would like more power and asked if anyone had any ideas.

It would also be really good marketing for you!

I'll have a viper if it works out! :D :rasp: