ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Poorboys Polish... actually putting more swirls on!!!?!

Fiesta ST
Hi all,

I recently gave my car a good clean. New shampoo, cloths, wax, polish, sealant, etc.

However, when I came to polish the car I used a microfibre applicator pad (apparently this should be ok). And to my horror it started making more and more swirls in the paint work! I switched for the other half of the car to using a microfibre cloth which seemed to be better.

My question, would the applicator pad be the problem here because it's a microfibre one? Possibly too rough?

After applying the sealant it did cover most of them up qutie well, but I know in the back of my mind, they are still there. I am now dubious about doing the car again. :(

Thanks for any tips!

Fiesta ST
Oh, the applicators I used were the "Serious Performance Microfibre" ones. Although, I now cannot see them listed on the site. They are nearly identical to the Meguiars ones in the picture.

Mito Sportiva 135
Shouldn't be the cloth or the product. Where they minor or major looking scratches in the paint? All I can think of is that perhaps you had some grit in the cloth.

I use the yellow applicator pads and they do the job great, but anything advertised as an applicator should be absolutely fine to use for this job (as this is what they were designed for!)

Otherwise maybe the polish removed a wax that was hiding the marks before. Difficult to say without seeing the damage... try posting some up (although I have been here for over a year and still not got round to setting up an account!)

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
Try using one of these next time . They are supposed to have a slight cutting ability . I prefer them to the microfibre applicators for polishing , i use the microfibre ones just for waxing .

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shop/accessories/ultimate-german-applicator/p_280.html

german_applicator.jpg

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/shop/accessories/sonus-sfx-pro-applicators-pkg/2/p_31.html

sonus_applicators-1.jpg

Fiesta ST
Thanks for the replies.

Shouldn't be the cloth or the product. Where they minor or major looking scratches in the paint? All I can think of is that perhaps you had some grit in the cloth.

I use the yellow applicator pads and they do the job great, but anything advertised as an applicator should be absolutely fine to use for this job (as this is what they were designed for!)

Otherwise maybe the polish removed a wax that was hiding the marks before. Difficult to say without seeing the damage... try posting some up (although I have been here for over a year and still not got round to setting up an account!)

Hmm I'm sure the pads were clean, although, hey you never know there could of been minute particles hiding within the microfibre. But with regards to the intensity of the marks, basically when the sun hit the car you could see loads of swril marks. It looked bad. But when I took the photo's you can't see them at all (especially not since sealing the car and then waxing it which seems to have covered them again).

by 'adding more swirls' do you mean you can see the strokes of where you apply the polish?!

Not the strokes of where the polish was going, but when I buffed it off, there were lines all along where I'd been with the applicator. Pretty bad ones. I made sure the applicator was clean as well. :(

Thanks for the links as well, they look quite interesting! I wasn't even applying it in a circular motion. The back of the bottle stated, that when in sunlight use a forward and backward motion.

Chocolate Bar™
i use the poorboys professional, but the white one. works really well on my car with a microfibre pad, but you have to press on really gently or it does put stroke marks in.

Formally Alex C
PWC Blue doesn't contain any abrasives, so it won't have ben the polish....... My applicators are Terry Apllicators, slightly shorter pile than MF but, again, in 5 years I've never had anyone say this or have this problem.

(they aren't on the site at the mo as they aren't in stock).

Fiesta ST
PWC Blue doesn't contain any abrasives, so it won't have ben the polish....... My applicators are Terry Apllicators, slightly shorter pile than MF but, again, in 5 years I've never had anyone say this or have this problem.

(they aren't on the site at the mo as they aren't in stock).

Cheers for the reply. I wasn't knocking your product btw, just checking that I wasn't doing something daft... i.e using the wrong "tools" for the job. I appreciate the fast delivery as well on all the stuff I ordered from you. (The applicators, wash mitts, terry towels, etc). ;)

So what do we think? Possible dirt on the applicators somehow causing the problem?

Thanks. :)

Formally Alex C
Don't worry, I know you weren't :). Yeah, I think dirt should be the only reason.

E-mail me or pm me your address and I'll send another pair of applicators out to you next week anyway when I get them back in stock.