ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Porsche Silverstone Visit

Trophy #490
Had the opportunity to go down to Silverstone today and drive Porsche's new 911 and Boxster S for a media day, so I thought I'd share a few photos. The weather was a bit hit and miss, but both cars were great; the Boxster S in particular. I was a big fan of its steering, its chassis is sublime and it's safe to say it's a very good car to drive. I wasn't overly keen on the PDK though, and a manual's still the best option, but it's certainly much improved. Other than GT-badged 911s, I would've said the Cayman R or Boxster Spyder are the best of the rest, but this new Boxster is something special.

Was greeted by these two beauties:
IMG_0534.jpg

The Boxster; now a very, very good looking car:
IMG_0539.jpg

IMG_0542.jpg

IMG_0555.jpg

A few 911s:
IMG_0559.jpg

IMG_0558.jpg

IMG_0548.jpg

IMG_0557.jpg

And the scariest of them all:
IMG_0561.jpg

IMG_0560.jpg

Phase 2 172
I was there briefly for work today, Do love the new Boxster, such a improvement in just the looks department alone.

Trophy #490
Looks awesome.

Do you ever need a Photographer/Videographer?

I'd love to say yes, but as I only write for a smaller publication the marque always send us pre-prepared photos when it's sunny and the car's clean!

I liked the 991, but strangely I preferred the Boxster S initially. The 991 inevitably took a lot more getting used to as you could just jump into the Boxster and gel with it immediately, but the PDK was better (the 991 had traditional paddles behind its steering wheel, as opposed to the Boxster that had the other PDK alternative with 'buttons' near where your thumbs grip which were annoying and difficult to grasp at first due to their positioning). The steering's the big thing that's been picked up on by the media, but the electric system's still good. Sure, it's not got as much feel as say a GT3, but it's still very accurate.

The Carrera S is very, very fast now. Launch control's great and there's absolutely no fuss at all. So overall I liked it, but I didn't love it. Let's not forget though, there'll be a huge number of 911 variants in the coming years and they'll all improve. The Boxster stole the show for me; it's precise, beautifully balanced, very playful with everything turned off, and absolutely gorgeous to look at. It was chasing down 911s and Caymans all morning on the handling track, and with a manual 'box it's better than the Boxster Spyder for me, and that's a car that I loved.

Tim.

ClioSport Club Member
I saw a 991 in the metal yesterday and was surprised how different it looked to the 997.2. It was just a brief glimpse but it looked much more purposeful.

Looks like you had a good day out JT

I'd love to say yes, but as I only write for a smaller publication the marque always send us pre-prepared photos when it's sunny and the car's clean!

I liked the 991, but strangely I preferred the Boxster S initially. The 991 inevitably took a lot more getting used to as you could just jump into the Boxster and gel with it immediately, but the PDK was better (the 991 had traditional paddles behind its steering wheel, as opposed to the Boxster that had the other PDK alternative with 'buttons' near where your thumbs grip which were annoying and difficult to grasp at first due to their positioning). The steering's the big thing that's been picked up on by the media, but the electric system's still good. Sure, it's not got as much feel as say a GT3, but it's still very accurate.

The Carrera S is very, very fast now. Launch control's great and there's absolutely no fuss at all. So overall I liked it, but I didn't love it. Let's not forget though, there'll be a huge number of 911 variants in the coming years and they'll all improve. The Boxster stole the show for me; it's precise, beautifully balanced, very playful with everything turned off, and absolutely gorgeous to look at. It was chasing down 911s and Caymans all morning on the handling track, and with a manual 'box it's better than the Boxster Spyder for me, and that's a car that I loved.

Well if you ever do, give me a shout, would love to tag along. Even if I had to pay a little...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Agreed. Best looking Boxster by far and I never liked the looks that much. proper sports car now.

Cayman > Carrera though.