ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Power Tool Perverts

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
If I were you I’d go for the m12 range mate. Being a snap on and dewalt man you’d probably hate the 18v battery on a drill.

I’m looking at getting a couple of 18v (high torque 1/2” & mid torque) but I know I’m going to be hating the battery (as I use my work mates 18v impact and the battery dangling off is pretty naff)

If I was just after a drill I’d go m12

My Dewalt kit is all 18V XR so im used to having the 18v battery. The Snap on stuff is the micro 14.4v stuff so its great for tight spaces. The 12v Milwaukee gear would be a downgrade to what i have right now so i think im after the more powerful drill.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I got this a few months ago and can’t fault it. Both the drill and impact have been spot on. I even bought one of those adaptor sets so I can use the impact on the car and it’s undone every bolt I’ve thrown at it (which granted isn’t many but you get the point). No idea how it differs to the kit you’ve linked.

Thats the identical kit as im looking at without the OneKey functionality which unlocks a load of tool settings and tracking via an app.

jameswrx

ClioSport Club Member
My Dewalt kit is all 18V XR so im used to having the 18v battery. The Snap on stuff is the micro 14.4v stuff so its great for tight spaces. The 12v Milwaukee gear would be a downgrade to what i have right now so i think im after the more powerful drill.
I’ve had a ribbing for liking snap on on this thread but the M12 drill goes way harder than the compact 14.4v snap on drill if that counts for anything. Same as my m12 3/8 impact, despite the 12v vs 14.4v snap on 3/8 it has a lot more poke. An m12 drill with a 4.0a or 6.0a battery is just a nice form to use.-

My point regards the 18v battery on Milwaukee is they kind of get a bit floppy and loose. It’s acceptable (almost) on a heavy old impact gun but I could see it being annoying on a drill.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
I’ve had a ribbing for liking snap on on this thread but the M12 drill goes way harder than the compact 14.4v snap on drill if that counts for anything. Same as my m12 3/8 impact, despite the 12v vs 14.4v snap on 3/8 it has a lot more poke. An m12 drill with a 4.0a or 6.0a battery is just a nice form to use.-

My point regards the 18v battery on Milwaukee is they kind of get a bit floppy and loose. It’s acceptable (almost) on a heavy old impact gun but I could see it being annoying on a drill.
Ive had 2 cases on my 1/2 18v milwaukee gun due to battery flopping about and loosing conection ive got the older fuel and a one key fuel and both have had cases under warranty but my batteries are nearly 5 years old and still work fine ive just got to select which one i use on the gun if im working with it nose down but the same batteries never lose conection on the drill or any other of the tools

Thrust-Rated

President of the KMAG fan club.
ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Never seen the appeal to the One Key stuff personally, seems a gimmick.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member

Yeah after 8 years my DeWalt batteries in the drill especially are looser than they were when new, i guess its to be expected. However they still charge and work fine and theyre only the 3.0Ah jobbies.
I dont have loads of kit as im just a home hero but as it stands im on a DeWalt 18v Drill/driver, Multitool, 1/2 impact gun and Jigsaw. Then the Snap-On micro lithium i have a 14.4 screwdriver gun and a 3/8 impact gun. Ive got corded tools too but they dont count here and now.

The new kit, whatever it may be will be replacing the 18v DeWalt drill and adding further to the lineup.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Dropped into my local Screwfix today and the manager there was very helpful and let me look around a few bits of new Milwaukee kit including the M18 Fuel drill and impact driver i was eyeing up. As @jameswrx said, the battery is huge on it and felt really sloppy for a brand new item. It also felt pretty cheap in your hands compared to my old DeWalt donkey. Are they all like this or have i been shown a duffer?

Wondering now if i swallow the extra cash and cough up for the latest Flexvolt advantage DeWalt and accompany it with a small battery for the times you dont need it to be at full demand.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
Dropped into my local Screwfix today and the manager there was very helpful and let me look around a few bits of new Milwaukee kit including the M18 Fuel drill and impact driver i was eyeing up. As @jameswrx said, the battery is huge on it and felt really sloppy for a brand new item. It also felt pretty cheap in your hands compared to my old DeWalt donkey. Are they all like this or have i been shown a duffer?

Wondering now if i swallow the extra cash and cough up for the latest Flexvolt advantage DeWalt and accompany it with a small battery for the times you dont need it to be at full demand.
IMG_20210923_080645.jpg

Thats the kit ive got its got 4x 3ah 18v batteries but they are high output and similar power to a 5amp battery

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member

Just tested mine and its slightly loose in there but it doesn't feel like it falling out or anything like that.

There are some bits of dewalt at work and it feels much cheaper than the mw stuff imo.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Frayz, I take it your not buying something to use every day?

I would quite like the Milwaukee set above but instead bought a set of new batteries for my ol'Makita and carried on - spent the savings a new wookie ratchet. It felt more satisfying than chucking a perfectly adequate drill away.

When the house renovation starts in earnest again next year Ill likely still buy a new drill but keep the old gear for helpers.

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh, went back a page and see you destination fucked the Dewalt - in which case, yea stop dithering and buy red :ROFLMAO:

*But if you have other battery compatible Dewalt tools buy yellow, these guys above just love buying stuff and touching dicks

dann2707

ClioSport Club Member
Ahh, went back a page and see you destination fucked the Dewalt - in which case, yea stop dithering and buy red :ROFLMAO:

*But if you have other battery compatible Dewalt tools buy yellow, these guys above just love buying stuff and touching dicks
I'm actually really offended by this, how dare you not recommend the myl talk whee tools earlier on.

Now give me yer shlong!

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
It wasn’t the fact the new DeWalt stuff wasn’t as good as the Milwaukee. It was more of how much you got for your money buying red. It’s quite a bit cheaper.

thecrim22

ClioSport Club Member
  various
See you’ve invested quite a bit in batteries there, are you using this all day to need 4x 3.0ah or did you just fancy it at the time of purchase?
It all came as part of the kit, i was needing a new drill as my old fuel one wasnt happy and was nearly 5 years old and had a lot of abuse still works but just fancied a new un and wanted an impact driver too as i was building a workshop and needed it for the sheeting screws

Touring_Rob

ClioSport Club Member
It wasn’t the fact the new DeWalt stuff wasn’t as good as the Milwaukee. It was more of how much you got for your money buying red. It’s quite a bit cheaper.
I think where they are winning as a company is they are cheaper and in many areas better or as good as the competition. plus they have such a huge line up of useful draw filling, wallet emptying things.

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
I wouldn't go that far.

Did you got M18 or M12?

Neither.

I had another look and decided i didn't like them enough to justify a swap, so have ordered some new DeWalt kit instead. I so very nearly pulled the trigger on a heap of Milwaukee stuff this week but glad i took the time to go look and feel first. Nothing wrong with any of it, but crucially nothing that i really thought was "wow" either. Certainly nothing that would make me want to change apart from it being a bit cheaper.

Yes the DeWalt is a bit more expensive and less trendy, but i like their kit and its not let me down so far. Made most sense to stick with what i like best.

Awaits the onslaught from the red army! 😂

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
Neither.

I had another look and decided i didn't like them enough to justify a swap, so have ordered some new DeWalt kit instead. I so very nearly pulled the trigger on a heap of Milwaukee stuff this week but glad i took the time to go look and feel first. Nothing wrong with any of it, but crucially nothing that i really thought was "wow" either. Certainly nothing that would make me want to change apart from it being a bit cheaper.

Yes the DeWalt is a bit more expensive and less trendy, but i like their kit and its not let me down so far. Made most sense to stick with what i like best.

Fair enough, it's a shame you couldn't test them out as they are really good tools and very powerful

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Fair enough, it's a shame you couldn't test them out as they are really good tools and very powerful
I'm sure in use, they're the business, I've no reason to believe otherwise.
Given the fact they were all new and sealed in the boxes, i was lucky to be allowed to take them out and have a look over, so i could only go on how they felt in my hand and looked to the eye.

Thrust-Rated

ClioSport Club Member
  F31 35d, Berlingo Na
The carpenter that does bits round mine has all the top end dewslt stuff that he uses on site. I had a good look at it all and it does look and feel like good stuff.

The SDS drill he had was proper lightweight too

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
The carpenter that does bits round mine has all the top end dewslt stuff that he uses on site. I had a good look at it all and it does look and feel like good stuff.

The SDS drill he had was proper lightweight too

Ive gone for their 18v/54v Flexvolt Advance DCD999T drill and their impact driver plus a few batteries that i can swap around. I will be adding the Flexvolt SDS at some point too. Looking forward to trying it out when it arrives :)

leedsboy

ClioSport Club Member
  Bean 182 + E70 X5
Neither.

200.gif

frayz

ClioSport Club Member
Basically their new Flexvolt system can deliver up to 54v on certain tools that can take advantage of the extra juice. Mainly the bigger stuff like chainsaws and big chop saws etc. The batteries fit and can be used on all their 18v XR products.
So I have smaller standard sized batteries for your bread & butter work and the big Flexvolt battery when you need the extra poke.
Mainly for me it’s the quality/feel of the DeWalt stuff I like but seeing as the new DCD999T drill will make use of the Flexvolt tech, it seemed a good idea to get at least one of the big boy batteries.